Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont go trail riding SOLO. WISE WORDS. Plenty of people have told me, and even common sense tells me not to. But I love it...so I go. Except that today was my last time going solo.

Went for 1/2 day trail riding round the Llangollen area. Great time. Some fantastic trails (will do a proper ride report tomorrow). Until my @ became stuck. Got a bit disorientated and ended up on top of a mountain. Tried dodging 2 puddles but the front end of the @ dropped in.

Woops.

No matter what I tried I couldnt shift the bike...much. Got very dirty in the process.

Couldnt go forwards and didnt have the strength to pull her out.

So I placed the @ on her side and tried pulling. Got a bit further. But not much.

Had a folding shovel so spent 2.5 hours trying to dig her out. No joy. I shifted a load of moorland.

Got her as far as this then had to abandon her and walk 6 miles to the nearest village where I was picked up. I hadnt drank for 4 hours so it was time to get out of there.

Not going to say where she is but she is all alone for the night.

The mountain in the distance. Thats where she is!!!!!!.

Me, after my 6 mile stroll through the Welsh countryside.

4 of us heading back tomorrow (thanks Ffion and mum and dad!!!!).

Fingers crossed we can free the bike tomorrow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do not envy you tomorrow. Good Luck.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Wow that's no puddle that's a abyss.
Similar happened few weeks back but fortunatley had someone to help. Even a drz at 100kilo is heavy when it has 2x it's weight in mud.
When I got back I calculated what the varadero weighs in old money.... 39stone

Good luck with the recovery. There is one thing... It will be safe on the mountains unless there is a bus full of weightlifters passing by.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
wow, hope you get it out today ok. Glad you had the sense to leave it & walk out before a) it got dark & b) you no longer had the strength to do so. Good call :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You should have camped out next to it, you know the pikies will find a way of removing it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is very unfortunate and you obviously didn't intend it happening, furthermore I feel sorry for any damage the bike has sustained. Furthermore still I hope that you keep your promise regarding going out alone, I cannot imagine how you would have managed had you sustained an injury. Having said all that I would refer to my previous comments in the 'novice off road training thread, apart from not going alone a smaller, lighter, bike is more suitable. Echoing another member you had the good sense to appraise your situation and quit while you were ahead. I know I will probably annoy some members again with my comments regarding taking these big bikes off road but I feel I have been somewhat vindicated. Getting to where you did was a sort of fluke but it still happened, I'm glad your safe and hope you recovered the bike ok. Please guys stick to the less challenging stuff on the big ones and get a lightweight for the more adventurous stuff.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
This is very unfortunate and you obviously didn't intend it happening, furthermore I feel sorry for any damage the bike has sustained. Furthermore still I hope that you keep your promise regarding going out alone, I cannot imagine how you would have managed had you sustained an injury. Having said all that I would refer to my previous comments in the 'novice off road training thread, apart from not going alone a smaller, lighter, bike is more suitable. Echoing another member you had the good sense to appraise your situation and quit while you were ahead. I know I will probably annoy some members again with my comments regarding taking these big bikes off road but I feel I have been somewhat vindicated. Getting to where you did was a sort of fluke but it still happened, I'm glad your safe and hope you recovered the bike ok. Please guys stick to the less challenging stuff on the big ones and get a lightweight for the more adventurous stuff.
In an ideal world yes, I agree with all that you say. But I also trail ride alone, on a transalp. I know no one here who trail rides & my only free time is a week day when friends are all at work anyway. I also cannot financially run 2 bikes.
Should I then simply stop trail riding?

If you follow your logic through then any passtime that generates a certain risk should not be countenanced?

Obviously one should try to minimise the risks, but faced with the choice between being conscious of the risks & taking them anyway or simply not doing...

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm in your camp Moon, I can only run one bike and Beddowsm found himself in an awkward situation and I feel for him. In my youth I did lots and lots of green laneing but right from the start it was on a 250cc or less and my favourite was my DT175 Yam. We had some quite serious runs and I well remember getting stuck (with others) in what we called Hollowell Dip. When we finally got out my heart was virtually leaping from my chest. This is no pipe dream memory it was real. Then we started a trail bike class in our club trials which was very popular. But as you can see it was all lightweight bike stuff. I'm now on my second FX 650 and I tried some light green laneing in the Isle of Man a few TT's ago but soon realised that it was not the good fun I remembered in fact it was too hard work on such a big bike. With my son we go off roading in his Shogun which really does go anywhere (it's really amazing) and some of the easier lanes we use I would not hesitate to have a go at on the 650. So beddowsm's predicament apart what I'm trying to say is 'horses for courses'. Regarding you're going alone I have no strong views on that and can see your situation, I very often have to go out 'Norman no mates' but it's all road stuff now or very good trails. When in Portugal I longed for my bike to ride the gravel roads into the mountains. It would be ideal. I guess if you let folks know when to expect you back and have some means of communication (even a ref's 'Thunderer' whistle to draw attention) it's ok. The last thing I would want is to take choice and pleasure away at the expense of some risk/excitement. I think that's where we have gone wrong with the youth of today excitement is not allowed because it's too risky.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
that puddle looks familiar.:confused::confused:

i know it's the one the vicar of dibley found:D:D:D

good luck digging her out:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Let's clear this up, because I guess you are harking back to the HRA thread about the two guy's who wanted us to protect them after they plotted to blow us up. Incidentally you may have heard this week that our new government is going to address that situation. Anyway, health and safety. In my work I have to prepare method statements and carry out risk assessments prior to the commencement of a job taking place. This is not a fail safe procedure, it cannot prevent an 'unplanned incident' a term normally accepted as an accident. I do my best to identify things that could go wrong and take the necessary action. I'm not the H&S Executive, I have simply been on the courses that many others have been on. It's an unpopular job as was my time as a noise meter operator for the ACU but it has to be done. I would not stand by and watch a boy drown as two hobby bobby's did because they were not authorised under health and safety. Nor would I drive by after a serious accident as many others did on the A47 last Wednesday. I climbed into the nettle ridden ditch to help the poor guy, I didn't do a risk assessment on this occasion. So let's get this in perspective, a little controlled risk is not a bad thing. Hitting your hand with a hammer may be a painful way to learn but learn you do. I'm not sure of the meaning behind your one liner but if what I do saves someone from harm--- I'll let you work that one out.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
all I have to say is: CALENDAR PICS!:D

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the postings. Im sure you all want to know how I got on today.

But first, a BIG thank you to my parents who travelled for 2 hours from Yorkshire to help, and to my wife, who slogged up the mountain carrying bucket and spades to help dig my @ out. (incase you are wondering the bucket was to empty the puddle of water if needed - it wasnt). And to my in laws for putting up with my moaning last night (and the dirt!!!).

2 minutes of digging and 5 minutes of pulling had the @ out of the mud.

Im sure theres an @ under all that mud!!!

The bike got severely abused yesterday. It spent a lot of its time getting dragged whilst on its side. Spent the night with the front wheel submerged in water. First start of the engine and it popped into life. What a bike. I couldnt ask for more (maybe a bit lighter!!!).

Its called an Adventure bike. Thats what I bought it for a few months ago and it has given me great adventures so far.

XRV'ers, dont let me go solo!!!! Anytime anyone fancies a trail ride please let me know!!!!!!!!! Im still up for it, there are loads of great trails in North Wales (thats all Ie done so far).

I will do a write up on the trails I did yesterday as I feel they deserve their own thread.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Lesson learnt :D when in Wales stay on the path, don't go off the path, because there be muddy dragons.
And I bet you will go out Solo after you clean up. We all do.:thumbup::thumbup:

Great shots.:D:D

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is very unfortunate and you obviously didn't intend it happening, furthermore I feel sorry for any damage the bike has sustained.

Nope, didn’t plan on getting stuck, but not over fussed about damage. I got the bike to take off road so accept any damage that is sustained. Yesterday, the right mirror snapped off and a slither of plastic from the front forks has come off. No idea what scratches or other damage is waiting beneath the mud. Plan on hosing it down at Asda, then finishing off at home, then taking all the plastics and bash plate off to get rid of any remaining dirt. May take the tank off as well and continue my service by replacing the plugs.

Furthermore still I hope that you keep your promise regarding going out alone, I cannot imagine how you would have managed had you sustained an injury.

Hmmm, yesterday was yesterday. I have been told off by the wife, my parents and the in laws. Time will tell if I go solo again. Thing is, I got the bike to go offroad and I enjoy it. Hopefully my plea to other Trail riders will put me in contact with lots more like minded people so I don’t have to go solo. Sustaining an injury is my biggest fear. I can take a bike getting stuck and having to trek out. The only thing to save me in remote places and injury is my mobile phone (I have been told 999 still works with no phone coverage – anyone disagree?). I have a whistle….but that’s it.

Having said all that I would refer to my previous comments in the 'novice off road training thread, apart from not going alone a smaller, lighter, bike is more suitable.

Afraid I don’t agree in full. I would love to ride a smaller bike through some of the trails Ive done just to see what its like, but a small bike is no good to actually get me to the places I want to trail ride (motorway journies). The @ does it all. Im a fairly big bloke and can handle the @ on trails (I think). Even if I had got a smaller bike stuck in the same location I think the outcome would have been the same. The @ does everything I want it to, and I feel comfortable riding trails on it. Just asked the missus if I can buy a second smaller bike and she has refused!

In an ideal world yes, I agree with all that you say. But I also trail ride alone, on a transalp. I know no one here who trail rides & my only free time is a week day when friends are all at work anyway. I also cannot financially run 2 bikes. Should I then simply stop trail riding?

Agree with you Moon. I don’t suppose you are local to the North West????

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Well, at least if Ffion dumps you for being daft you've got a cracking photo for an internet dating site...
Exceptional performance from team Beddows! Well done all! What was their price?! :confused:

As for the @, yes it's a mare to get out of a bog, but that doesn't often happen and once it is out you can ride it along the motorway with no bother. And think what an opportunity this is to become familiar with how it is put together while you wash it! :thumbright:

Glad it has a happy ending.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts