Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coming back from MOT today(fail) the DR kept dying on me.

Now, I haven't really ridden it since I rode it back from Lewisham, so I wasn't familiar(I am now!) with the on/off positioning of the 2 fuel taps so I made sure they were in different position so one at least had to be on....full choke seemed to be the only way around it.

I noticed that the pipes from the fuel taps run 'uphill' before they 'T' into the carb fuel inlet. Would this do it? Just topped the fuel up (from one of those jerry cans that nice Mr Maude advised us to fill.)...sure I put fuel in when I rode it here but didn't seem to have much so......

PICS...whoops.....I'll go do some...........here they are......2 near side (front to the left)

One off side..exhaust (front to right)

New 'T' piece required for starters?

. CameraZOOM-20121221184800284.jpg CameraZOOM-20121221184822450.jpg CameraZOOM-20121221184603309.jpg

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possible first half of Norovirus starting...I'll come and see you..... (now f**k off my thread! :hitler:)

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Tank not venting properly and causing a vacuum ???? - just a thought

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tank not venting properly and causing a vacuum ???? - just a thought
Possibility Jack. I wonder how Acerbis tanks vent? I can hear that little valve on the filler hissing when I'm fuffing around in the garage but that lets gases out I think (not a two way valve, is it?).
I never did it in a 40 min ride from Whealie's a few weeks back and the MOT is about 1 1/2 miles away.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Kev,

Acerbis filler has a little vent in it which has a rubber pipe attached to it to vent downwards. It's not a one way valve as the fuel p1sses out of it when the bike decides to have a rest :confused: don't ask me how I know this ;)
The fuel locks are open when levers are vertical, but a simple way to test would be disconnect from carb and open locks. I think there may be filters inside the tank which may be clogged up. worth a go joe :thumbright:

Good luck

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks John...I'll be in the garage over christmas with it......good company eh?

I know that tank valve lets gas and fuel out but not sure if it lets air in.

I is learnin'......again.:happy8:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Latest on this...new fuel pipes fitted and re-routed....very nice.

Running bike in garage after oil and filter change...stops and doesn't wanna start again 'til I take the fuel cap off to look in tank (why do we do that:D).

Then it fires up fine again.

Looking at valve on vent again (Soho on phone) and I notice that the little arrow on the valve is pointing up away from the tank (this at the same time as we're talking about how the hell does this tank vent through that one way valve).

Pulled it off and turned it round.....not really tested it yet (long day in the garage) but quietly confident.....we'll see. :confused:

First exposure to snail cams for chain adjustment...FFS.....anything that needs a hammer to adjust is never gonna be that fine an adjustment...or is it me (I was scared to whack it too hard until I realised I had to). Became more subtle as I went on....

Thanks for the help chaps....getting there.....just have to fuff about with rear plate and lights due to anal MOT man. He spotted some important stuff too. (great mechanic there though so will keep on side with the Alp).

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Kev,

Don't know where you are seeing the valve ??
I don't have one on my DR Acerbis tank

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

And I can suck and blow quite freely !!! :D:D
Must be an after market thingy, chuck it in the bin ---

or turn it around :thumb:

Good luck

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 2 inch piece of pipe with this stuck in the end......I've already turned it (see previous post:)). Cap is the same as yours, John.

We'll see.

Next job...adjust headlamp beam....I can't find in any info on it so I'll just have to look.....Won't be long..

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
It's a 2 inch piece of pipe with this stuck in the end......I've already turned it (see previous post:)). Cap is the same as yours, John.

We'll see.

Next job...adjust headlamp beam....I can't find in any info on it so I'll just have to look.....Won't be long..
Point your TA at a wall or garage door with the headlamp on. Get an able bodied assistant to mark where the front tyre is on the ground, and where the headlamp beam is on the wall, using chalk or some tape. Discard Transalp!
Ride DR up to chalks marks on floor, and adjust headlamp until be is on or just below (it won't fail for being slightly too low) chalk marks on wall.

Voila !!

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Point your TA at a wall or garage door with the headlamp on. Get an able bodied assistant to mark where the front tyre is on the ground, and where the headlamp beam is on the wall, using chalk or some tape. Discard Transalp!
Ride DR up to chalks marks on floor, and adjust headlamp until be is on or just below (it won't fail for being slightly too low) chalk marks on wall.

Voila !!
Haha....thanks Bob.

I meant that I couldn't find any info on the actual adjustment.

I'll take the front cowl off when I get back...it'll be obvious then.

SEAN!.....You know how I feel about rehoming dogs! :D:cool:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh...........and I like it..........lived in look......:salute::salute:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on this..finally MOT'd this week.

Went for a (cold ) ride with heated grips on...nice(wouldn't go above 30 on the control though?)

Anyway, turning the little valve thing on the fuel cap did the trick apparently.....lets the air in now. I must have turned it without realising....it was fine all the way back from Whealie's.

Just have to ride it around enough to get used to it...and trust it after the stopping thing...then I'm off for a wander.

Better join the TRF, I can only get out on weekdays so we'll see. :)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Update on this..finally MOT'd this week.

Went for a (cold ) ride with heated grips on...nice(wouldn't go above 30 on the control though?)

Anyway, turning the little valve thing on the fuel cap did the trick apparently.....lets the air in now. I must have turned it without realising....it was fine all the way back from Whealie's.

Just have to ride it around enough to get used to it...and trust it after the stopping thing...then I'm off for a wander.

Better join the TRF, I can only get out on weekdays so we'll see. :)
Weekdays are best Kev, less of those rambliars about :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well done kev. I noticed that during your problems you did not swear or revert to violence so you must have new medication or a new woman. Which is it

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well done kev. I noticed that during your problems you did not swear or revert to violence so you must have new medication or a new woman. Which is it
I've taken your advice Mel.....

It's only one of the above......:happy10:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts