Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As above chaps.
Got a leak from the bottom of one of them and decided to do the lot.
Removed and drained.
Now what.....do I need special tools?
The manual I've downloaded isn't much help on the actual seal removal.

1997 model but the forks aren't the same as in the supplement, so maybe earlier.

Thanks fo reading. :color:

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Can't speak for the DR specifically but normally, once the forks are removed, springs out & drained....

Prise the dust seal up (if there is one), remove oil seal retaining circlip.
Flip fork upside down & remove the allen bolt in the bottom - you may be best using an impact driver if you have one to hand, if the internals are all turning pop the spring back in & try again, remove the damper unit.

Now, firmly holding the stanchion (chrome bit) in one hand an alloy lower in the other, firmly & briskly use as a slide hammer, slide the two apart.
Repeat as required. They can be stubborn so don't be shy - a long stroke & good impact is what you are after.

Eventually the seal will be driven out, closely followed by a large washer then the upper bush.

Inspect the bushes for wear. Now is the time to replace them if required.

Reinstalling the upper bush can be tricky without damaging it - it's handy if you buy new ones, use the old ones to drive the new one in being careful NOT to damage the chrome stanchion otherwise you'll be needing one of them too.

Don't forget the large washer before fitting the seal (bet you do...).

Good luck
Phil

sent from my 'phone

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much Phil......I'll give it a go when I'm back in the metropolis.

I owe you a beer! :thumbright:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
As Sean and I discovered with one from Dr Law's BMW they can be "stubborn" as Phil described them.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Done... I think (nagging at the back of my mind that I didn't re-position the bush as I assumed it hadn't moved.:confused:)
Just need to figure out how to tighten the fork damper bolts at the bottom without a special tool?

Put the springs in to do it but no joy.
I was gonna ask Whealie how he did it on the seal he'd already changed but when I undone the leaking one with just the socket in my fingers whilst checking it for size, I realised he might not be much help..... :D :hitler:
Tried moving the adjusters both ends but they didn't seem too willing....if it ain't broke....

Best weight oil?....had 10 in it but was harsh. Original too soft, so they say.....compromise?

Thanks chaps.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damper rods tightened and torqued (I think).

My solution was to push the long 1/2 inch drive down into the top of the damper rod assembly and hold it down hard whilst jamming the fork against me with another rod through the mounting holes and torqueing it up.
Another pair of hands would have helped but not too bad.
Just gotta get some oil and watch it leak now.....:confused:.:).

Might spray the bottom of the forks while they're out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts