Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has been covered before but i'm lazy :D

Anyone any experience of any kind of `off` with some of these jeans on and if so how did they fair?

I think i remember someone saying they had a slow off with a pair on (can't remember which though) and said they did the job (i think 40mph was mentioned?)

The Hood ones are cheaper at about £80-£90 and the Draggin more expensive, i think £125 when last i looked. Thing is, i can try the Draggin ones on as HG do em but Hood are mail order only, anyone got big thighs and a pair of Hood Jeans speak up :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Kiwi lost in europe
46 Posts
I came off at 30-40ish in Draggins and they were fine, a small mark on the knee but not really noticeable. My Jacket ended up with scuffs all up the arm from glove to shoulder. I ended up with a large bruise on the hip and a very small graze on my knee.

Haven't had any experience with Hood though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've a pair of Hood jeans,
and wifey has a pair of the Dragin.

Neither of us has had an off, so can't help there,

BUT......

i can tell you that when i compare the two brands:-
the Hood jeans have been lined in kevlar from the knees up to the waist, front and back, and have pockects for CE armour knees and hips....
and the Dragin jeans are only lined around the ar*e and front thigh area, with velcro fastening for the CE Armour but no hip protection.

Both are heavy denim, with the hood jeans you need to specifiy that you want CE Armour pockects built in, and order a size up from your normal/regular size.

Hope this helps :thumbup: see you soon Craig.

Big Dave

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Worth remembering that Hood are a small British company. They will also finish jeans to whatever leg length you want.

If you want a fit that's good for the, erm, comfortably proportioned man, try their (strangely named) Army Greens. If "combats" aren't your thing, they also do a black version without the thigh pocket.

The Hood jeans seem far more substantial, as stated above they are fully lined apart from just the rear of the leg below the knee. This makes them less like an ordinary pair of Levis and more like bike gear.

FWIW I think the Hein Gericke "hiprotec" armour is great for the hips, as it is rubbery and very flexible you don't really notice it much. i think the Knox stuff is too bulky for the hips. OTOH I would recommend Knox (as supplied by Hood) at the knees and not hiprotec; the Knox armour is shaped and it keeps it in place on the knee, and the hiprotec is heavy and swings about as you walk.

The question is what you want. You wouldn't wear a pair of Hood jeans with armour fitted at work or down the pub and expect people to think they were ordinary trousers; but they're still far more wearable off the bike that full-on bike gear.

If you really want to looks like you're not in bike gear at all, you probably want Draggin. Can't see the point of having Draggin jeans with armour though. If you fit armour they won't be passable as normal clothing any more. So why not wear Hood, save money, and get more protection?

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some good points... i suppose i dont really want them to look like im not on a bike, the reasoning behind it is when it's real warm i get very unncomfortable in leathers or textile so i thought that a pair of biker jeans would keep me cool (in the temperature sense) on the bike and i suppose off it in cafe`s etc...

Sounds like the Hood ones are the best to go for, i seen the ones Austin had on at the Peil weekend and they looked fine, just looked like a normal pair of jeans.

I'll maybe order some of them :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
White van man
560 Posts
I bought a pair of the Hood H2 jeans in black last spring, 40" waist (must diet).

Superb quality, look very smart when off the bike and comfortable.

A pal bought some similar jeans from another manfacturer. The internal kevlar was not as long and caused him some discomfort on our tour of Ireland last year.

Hood are also very helpful on the Phone.

So, top marks to Hood from me :thumbup:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Yes craig I was wearing my hood jeans to PI but no armour. When I ordered them I ended up doing it on the phone and it was like ordering made to measure. Long legs, comfort fit, option this that or the other non of it seemed a problem. Off the bike they are nearly as comfortable asordinairy jeans, my only gripe would be that the seam where for knee armour rubs on my knee, but it's not a huge problem. They also have this perverse quality of being both good in the warm and the cold - the Kevlar is a second layer so keeps you warm, it also doesn't absorb or transmit heat well so keeps the heat away from your skin. I like them :thumbright:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ordered myself a pair of Draggin Dry`s from their website last year. After two weeks, when no jeans had turned up I sent them an E-mail; it took over a week for them to reply and in the end took over six weeks for the jeans to be delivered:mad:. On top of that the jeans were supposed to be shower proof and the first light shower we had the jeans were soaked through.
The jeans I`ve got also can only be hand washed in cold water (no detergent) and drip dried (no tumble drying or near any form of heat):confused:
As you can probably guess I`ll be going for Hood Jeans next time:thumbup:

Oh ! and no, sorry not had an off yet (or ever hopefully)so can`t say how good they are in that respect .

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
theres another brand you haven't mentioned, giali. i wear their hardas elite jeans and they are good. kevlar inners down to mid calf, with double kevlar pads over critical areas so triple layers in places. pockets for CE pads too.
soft and very comfortable combat/cargo style jeans. also they are only £70 at the moment from RAZAR ltd, if i cant better that at the BMF show this weekend im getting another pair online.

shame their not british, but would be double the price if they were! in no way waterproof but for some reason they dry on the bike quickly, maybe something to do with the kevlar? in fact im getting my next pair scotchguarded at the dry cleaners because they are too comfy to take off, even for bad weather!

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well it looks like i'll not be ordering Hood, i emailed them regards the thigh size as this is where i struggle to fit into jeans...

Reply:

Dear Craig,

To measure the thigh we lay the jean flat and then measure 2" down from the crotch seam and then measure across, the thigh on a size 40" waist measures 28" so these may be to tight for you.
All of our jeans are cut from the same pattern so they will all measure around the same.

Kind Regards

Julie (Hood Jeans)

oh well...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up for the Hood jeans. :thumbright:

I've been wearing a pair of the H2s for four days now and they are very nice indeed. I wanted something to wear in the warmer weather that still provided protection. Hood jeans certainly have that.

They are very well made, fit well, and the lady at Hood was very helpfull over the 'phone when working out what size to go for. Basically the advice they give on the website regarding sizing is right, plus add an inch to the inside leg. I went for the Knox armour and I'm very pleased with it.

It's a bit time consuming getting the knee armour in exactly the right place as it's held in with Velcro. This means turning the legs inside out, fitting the armour. Turning the legs the right way round, and trying the trousers on. then taking them off and doing it all over again to move the armour cos it's in the wrong place. The hip armour was much easier though.

Now it's right I've marked it's location with a marker pen!

I'd recommend them, in fact I already have to a few friends!

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
You may have seen stories circulating about Draggin jeans getting full CE approval. Actually it is only one specific model of their jean that has it.

Interestingly, these are fully kevlar lined, unlike their normal jeans, but very much like Hood always made them :)

A feature that probably is good on the new Draggin jeans, is a stirrup to stop them riding up. Can't help but feel that would only work if the leg length was spot on. It'd be great if Hood added that feature, as they do leg lengths to measure, as standard. (Then again, I imagine I could add stirrups myself...)

But if you want the CE jeans, it's going to cost you nearly 300 pounds. That's about the same as the Halvarssons "safety trousers" (CE level 2) for, which gives you the option of ventilated or waterproof outers.

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
+1 for Hood.
Had a pair delivered last Friday. Size & fit were fine, including the armour. Did a 200 mile run today, and the jeans were comfortable on and off the bike. I wore "base layer" longjohns underneath and didn't get too hot and sweaty. Don't know how I'd have got on without the longjohns, with the kevlar next the skin. The pockets are generously-sized, so things can't fall out easily (although the hip armour means that it's difficult to get your hands into the pockets......so discouraged slouchy posture!)
:p

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I wore "base layer" longjohns underneath and didn't get too hot and sweaty. Don't know how I'd have got on without the longjohns, with the kevlar next the skin.
I have no problems now, though when new it could feel a bit sticky in very hot weather. Not sticky-as-in-moist, just sticky in the sense that it didn't slide over my legs when I moved. Either wear or the first couple of machine washes sorted it out.

Co-incidentally, I came across the invoice for mine at the weekend. Bought them in spring 2004.

I wear them to ride to work and most other trips from about April/May though until October. So 36 months of wear and nowt wrong or worn out yet. I wish I could buy normal jeans would last that long!!!

(although the hip armour means that it's difficult to get your hands into the pockets......so discouraged slouchy posture!)
IMHO the Knox armour is too bulky for hips. Hein Gericke 'hiprotec' inserts work really well, though they're about 20 quid a pair. (Don't fit the HG stuff in the knees, though, as it's too heavy and shapeless; the Knox stuff Hood supply is much better in the knee.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts