Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so eager to buy a good old 1988 XL600LM (1987 last year production), and I found several, but what keeps me from handing the cash is the dreaded cracked heads that RFVC motors seem to suffer from. And strangely, nobody knows the exact cause. Could be bad quality of oil. Could be starting the bike in very cold temps. It affected the early RFVC heads, as well as the newer ones with the slightly smaller valves (giving more meat around the central sparkplug hole). Come on. It's Honda. It should be reliable and of the best engineering. If I don't get a clear answer, I might buy a Suzuki DR 650 SE and slap a 6 gallon Acerbis full tank instead. Please, don't let me do that. ;-)

Anyone has any idea for this carnage?

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Just buy the DR650SE, much better bike, not everything in your garage has to be Honda ;)

Here's mine..........

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
;-) Your DR is basically what I am aiming at for Morocco this year, and Syria next year. Disappointing indeed that Honda can't design a reliable engine. Would have liked a 1988 XL600LM to put beside my 1988 RD03 and 1996 RD07a. But hey, maybe it won't happen...

How much weight did you save with an aftermarket exhaust? I can see you have also deleted the passenger footrest. Do you think that in very hot climates, or burning sand, it would be a good thing to add a small electric fan behind the large oil cooler? How do you monitor the oil temp?

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
;-) Your DR is basically what I am aiming at for Morocco this year, and Syria next year. Disappointing indeed that Honda can't design a reliable engine. Would have liked a 1988 XL600LM to put beside my 1988 RD03 and 1996 RD07a. But hey, maybe it won't happen...

How much weight did you save with an aftermarket exhaust? I can see you have also deleted the passenger footrest. Do you think that in very hot climates, or burning sand, it would be a good thing to add a small electric fan behind the large oil cooler? How do you monitor the oil temp?
I have ridden in 40c heat in Bardenas desert in Spain and same temps in France with no problem. There is no history that I know of with these engines overheating, I have no mods to assist cooling.

Plenty of into on the DR650 thread on ADV rider.................. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-dr650-thread.135295/page-6993

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
my bubble has been bust I was a big fan of the 600 lm fine job I really like the dr 650 too . xt's or klr's don't do much for me though . cracking looking bike Bob :cool:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Just buy the DR650SE, much better bike, not everything in your garage has to be Honda ;)
I was looking for one of those years ago Bob but they were too much money for me when there was a few about. when i got the money there were none for sale :(
No help with the cracked head unfortunately, my dominator was apart recently and i looked for it as the bike had reached some ridiculous temperatures going up over barmouth hills and various other trails but luckily it was fine but mine is a 96 bike my mates 88 dominator had the cracked head issue and dropped a valve seat on him.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW Is the XL600LM head single or twin spark?

TIA

Lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts