Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the NMCU (Norwegian Motorcycle Union) recently, on a Norwegian national radio program on station P4, a research worker by the name of Terje Assum of the Institute of Transport Economics stated that riding a motorbike was just as dangerous as driving a car under the influence (i.e. 0.8ppt alcohol in blood) :evil:

Personally I have never heard so much poppycock in my life, and to offer such drivel on a national radio station should, in my mind, warrant a P45 from his employer.....not prime time on P4.

You might want to ask him how he arrived at this assumption, and what he intends to do to make ammends for his outburst. The web site is www.toi.no - go to "in english" and then "employees". Here you'll find mail addresses to a number of employees, including Mr Assum. One guy who seems to have a bit more savvy is the director Leif Ellevset.

This is irrepairable publicity for hundreds of thousands of us, and while one guy sits at the end of a microphone without a care in the world, we're all going to be facing even more c**p from pressure groups and those in government only too willing to sell their grannies for another few votes.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Confucious said:
stated that riding a motorbike was just as dangerous as driving a car under the influence (i.e. 0.8ppt alcohol in blood) :evil:
Ok I had to read this twice to try and figure out what exactly this statement could mean so here goes.

A: Driving a motorcycle under the influence is the same as driving a car under the influence then yes it is bollocks it's not as dangerous it is actually more dangerous as you are more vulnerable and need faster reaction times and senses than you would in driving a car.

B: Driving a motorcycle sober is the same as driving a car under the influence then yes again total bollocks as again your senses is supposidly highten after many recearch studies so effectively you should be more aware and in sync with things happening around you........except the daft bitch on her scooter the other day who decided it was safe to send a sms whilst trying to filter in front of me. I lost it so badly nearly kicked her off her bike :cussing: :angryfire:

So which one is it?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Yes I have to say I was confused as well.
It seemed to be suggesting when I first read it that it was ok to be drunk on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confucious said:
Terje Assum of the Institute of Transport Economics stated that riding a motorbike was just as dangerous as driving a car under the influence (i.e. 0.8ppt alcohol in blood) :evil:
OK - try .... stated that "riding a motorbike SOBER was just as dangerous as driving a car under the influence (i.e. 0.8ppt alcohol in blood)"

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Well, it depends what "under the influence" means.

If it is borderline blood alcohol level (by UK law), do you count that as being dangerous? Statistically, in that state an average driver would cause one fatality every 35 million miles. Is that dangerous? Well you could say so on the basis that it's far worse that the one fatality per 100 million miles which is the overall rate.

On the other hand, if you drove with that much alcohol in your blood for every journey you made in your entire life, the odds are still 60:1 in favour of you avoiding a fatal accident.

I guess the fact is that tripling your risk doesn't mean a great deal when the risk is already very low to start with. That's why we don't worry about riding bikes. Statistically we are far more likely to die, but assuming you take enough care that you keep the additional risk factor to a low level, then you are simply swapping a really really really low risk for a slightly less low risk of dying.

This is the big problem with road safety. To an individual, trading your chance of survival of 99.9999% for only of "only" 99.9997% means virtually b*gger all. To a government, it could mean an annual fatality figure of 9000 rather than 3000.

So if you're comparing drunk driving with bikes, then if the arithmatic is correct, I don't have a problem with the "science". What I do have a major problem with it the philosophy. This sort of statement, and the policy behind it[*], is formulating by looking exclusively at the bad effects; it completely ignores the fact that for every tragedy, there were millions of people who made thousands of trips where absolutely nothing went wrong at all. This makes these sorts of statements completely unbalanced.

* let's be honest about this: Government statistics do not dictate Government policy; the policy dictates the statistics

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Just an aside!

I saw a guy drinking a can of stella at 9:30 this morning coming off the M1 at MeadowHell. :shock:

In case anyone needs to avoid suck idiocy His registration is F129 NOC and its a dark blue peugeot 306 or 309 not sure! the small 4 door hatchback one!

I stayed well out of his way and let him know he was a [email protected]*!r. :?

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Yeti said:
Just an aside!

I saw a guy drinking a can of stella at 9:30 this morning coming off the M1 at MeadowHell. :shock:

In case anyone needs to avoid suck idiocy His registration is F129 NOC and its a dark blue peugeot 306 or 309 not sure! the small 4 door hatchback one!

'K'nell! That's awfull, would a call to the police be worthwhile?

-Simon

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Slimie said:
Yeti said:
Just an aside!

-Simon
Only if he was speeding - save the kittens!

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Yeti said:
Just an aside!

:shock:

I have a feeling that's specifically illegal (even if he was under the DD limit).

Of course he may have decanted some coke into an empty Stella can just to wind you up :wink:

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
Slimie said:

-Simon
Yup, have done! He will know it was me though so eyes open for a while eh! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts