Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the longest driving ban that you've come across? I certainly don't recall any long driving bans being handed out in the UK.

Well, one young lad that lost control of his car and killed a 15 year old girl, who was a passenger in the back seat, has been given a 3 year sentence and a 20 year driving ban. Story here.

And I recall a story in the local paper some years back about a chap being in court again for driving offences that had 1 year added to his existing driving ban of 99 years!

Has anyone in the UK been banned for anywhere near 20 years?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Back in the 80's I knew a guy from Scotland who had a lifetime ban. Whether or not that exceeds 20 years depends on how long he lives/lived I suppose.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Well, one young lad that lost control of his car and killed a 15 year old girl, who was a passenger in the back seat, has been given a 3 year sentence and a 20 year driving ban.
I'd have been happier if it was the other way round, he's killed a girl and will probably only do 18 month; then he'll go to some kind of `human rights` Europe thingymajig about the 20 year ban, stopping him work, limiting this, my rights bla bla bla and get that reduced to.

He'll be out and driving within 3-5 years :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
in france the standard ban is 1, 3 or 6 months I think. Anything beyond that the simply annul the licence. you then have to re pass the test to get a new one. They also remove licences with an interdiction on repassing the test during a delay from 1 to 3 years. I have heard (though not verified) that some bloke got his licence cancelled with an unlimited ban on repassing the test. goodness knows what he'd done!

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
I don't like long driving bans because they cause more danger for the public.

There are three purposes to any criminal sentence. Punishment; rehabilitation; and protection of the public.

Motorists who kill should, in my view, have longer periods of imprisonment by way of punishment. Rehabilitation is something the UK system (and I suspect Ireland's) is so bad at it is not worth discussing. And a limited ban backed up with a real prospect of discovery and, therefore, further punishment seems appropriate.

But if the ban goes on too long, how likely is it that the person will refrain from driving? And if they are driving, I want them to be insured so if they hit someone and injure them, their lifetime care can be paid for by something other than the public purse. I accept that not all people who have killed with a car will go on to get insurance, but if only a handful do, the public is far safer. And on the other hand, what will that ban achieve?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Incidentally, a one year ban is the MINIMUM ban for driving over the limit in England, Wales and Scotland. I think Northern Ireland might be longer. In England and Wales the starting point is 18 months but even if you are Mother Theresa it is NEVER going to be less than a year.

The bans in France - 1, 3 or 6 months - and Belgium - which can be weeks - do seem a little lenient.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hello Philip

How are you? Not been on for a while

I see the Merc's gone

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Hello Philip

How are you? Not been on for a while

I see the Merc's gone
Hello Paul!

Merc? Pah! German rubbish!

Yes, I crossed to Jaguar and wish I had done so earlier. The first one cost £792 and ran beautifully for eight months until the water-pump went, to be replaced by a £435 one which took the family to the South of France at 80+ all the way in air-conditioned comfort and despite being used as a station car seems completely unwilling to die, despite 192k miles. Ford were trying to prove a point, and they succeeded! (Best left at home in the snow, mind!)

Commuting from London to Surrey and childcare means motorbiking and forum hopping are rare luxuries, but I like to look in from time to time.

Hope you are well?

P

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
I like the sound of the french system, a ban is a ban and losing your licence means it has gone. not sure what is involved on taking your test in UK, but would be good if they had to resit all the theory again.
There have been long time bans in Germany, 6 year bans are mentioned every now and then for those that haven't learned and repeatedly offend. Most have to sit a psycho test, but they get their licence back, as long they have not been caught out during the ban:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts