Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, now I know there is a lot of expertise here, so should I 350 or 400? Two Im lookingat both have bigger tanks, sowhat would best suit? Which has better road manners foran odd wild camp foray over to wales? The350 would leave a nice little wedge to fancifying or indeed update my 20 yr old soft luggae etc?

I guess my main concern is the power, i really liked my old ttr 250, but had to really work the engine and gears on the road and not that keen on good progress up steep hills! Ive hada dizzy and it just flew everywhere so just howmuch of an oomph drop wouldthe 350 be?

Who has had both and what's the deal? (Andyes watched and read Mondo, which is why I'm even thinking about a 350 in the first place)

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I've had a DR350 and 2 DRZ400Es in my time. 350 is a simple air cooled beast. Go for electric start one. Tad heavy for really snotty stuff but will go anywhere. Rear wheel bearings go quickly (poor design). Good luck on finding a nice one! The 400E has a pokier engine (change or put a tip in the outrageous standard exhaust) and firmer suspension. Same again, a tad heavy in the sticky mud but light compared to 600s etc. Need to legalise it. Both great bikes. Bob will be along shortly. His friend has a couple of very well sorted DRZ400Es with big tanks and a small fairing etc and looked the nuts.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
The DR 350 has that 6th gear and that gives it better road manners than the DR-Z400 but good ones are getting harder to find now. The DR-Z is a great bike to have if you want to farkle, there is so much you can do to them.

Do not compare the 350 with a TTR250, I've had both and the 350 has so much more stomp than a TTR. Either the 350 or the 400 are a good bike to buy, I would jump on a DR350SE or a DR-Z400S and ride it to Spain tomorrow.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking (and hoping) but always good to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak, still waiting for the KLR to shift ( a few sniffs but no money changing hands as yet) I just didn't want to get a 350 and find it too similar to the underpowered TTR (on the road at least)
No really fussed about farkles, a small screen and some racks on the back will pretty much see me done.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I forgot to also mention the DRZ400E will need a rear subframe (from an S) fitted to make it strong enough to carry gear. Maybe an DR400S would be a better choice for what you are after?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I found my DR350 to be much better on back roads and A roads than the DRZ I had, mainly because of 6th gear. Off road the DRZ was a better bike

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I found my DR350 to be much better on back roads and A roads than the DRZ I had, mainly because of 6th gear. Off road the DRZ was a better bike
Nail on head :toothy10:

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking (and hoping) but always good to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak, still waiting for the KLR to shift ( a few sniffs but no money changing hands as yet) I just didn't want to get a 350 and find it too similar to the underpowered TTR (on the road at least)
No really fussed about farkles, a small screen and some racks on the back will pretty much see me done.
Your KLR should sell without much hassle, if I hadn't bought a Transalp recently I would have been interested.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See Shack, should've kept the DRZ!!!
I'm back....... Be afraid, be very afraid mwa ha ha ha haaaaa :D
Yep I thought that shortly after I waved It off, what are you riding these days?

Worst case I still have my klr so Its kind of a plan with no drawbacks.

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi John, sounds nice and they have a cracking engine. I hope your seat is comfier than mine was, have you posted any piccies of it yet?

I can't see you ever getting rid of your R65!

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Pick up the bike Saturday, will get some piccies.
I know Schorsch inside and out.
Like a lot of older bikes, the ride around town is not so plush, but once above thirty miles an hour, very nice.
Doddle to work on and has cost me a chunk as I have replaced all the faulty stuff. The four front brake pistons cost just shy of £400!!!!!
I did them two at a time, as could not find cheaper variants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts