Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best combination of sprockets for gearing on the drz-400? I found that when up to your eyeballs in mud that first isn't really low enough?

Marc

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Marc on my ccm which has same engine i'm running 13/48 which is low as i would go makes 2nd to 4th very usable limits top speed to about 85 mph :thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Marc on my ccm which has same engine i'm running 13/48 which is low as i wood go makes 2nd to 4th very usable limits top speed to about 85 mph :thumbright::thumbright:
So that's quite a bit lower than the standard S then. Does it mean going down 1 tooth on the front is two up on the back?

·
Registered
756 Posts
So if I went 13/44 would be a lot better than the standard S then.[/QUOTE)

Yep would make a difference , what i have done in past is use a 15/16 on road if doing a lot of miles and then swap to 13 when hitting offroad stuff :mrgreen: you have best of both worlds then and front is easy to carry :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
What I found on the DRZ is.... or more like was... is if its an S model, the standard of 15/44 gives a nice road ride i.e it will sit at 65mph all day and be fine, but the minute you get off road you'll always be in first on anything remotely snotty and then you'll be lookin to clutch it to stop the feeling of stalling or the bike running away. 13/44 will definately help, but swapping over front sprockets on a DRZ is a pain if you want to do road stuff as well. I think its the way its DOHC engine puts the power down, compared to a SOHC like XR400.
The E version uses 14/47 or 48 as been mentioned and everyone I know who has them finds it a fab gearing off road but it does get stranggled at high road speeds and 50 to 55 max is where you'll be.
Tendays does most stuff on his gearing and does well with it.... but Suzuki rerally missed a trick by not continuing like the Ol DR350 and not putting a 6 speed box on it

·
Registered
773 Posts
yeah there is a known issue with front sprocket - it tends to come loose, which can, i'm told, result in an oil dump if not dealt with. the fix is to use some red loctite on the shaft - it works! But the downside is you'll need to carry a small gear puller, more loctite and plenty of patience (overnight) whilst it sets if you want to swap front sprockets. see thumpertalk for details.

Be careful with a 13 front, it will wear out quickly and may result in chain making contact with swingarm?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah there is a known issue with front sprocket - it tends to come loose, which can, i'm told, result in an oil dump if not dealt with. the fix is to use some red loctite on the shaft - it works! But the downside is you'll need to carry a small gear puller, more loctite and plenty of patience (overnight) whilst it sets if you want to swap front sprockets. see thumpertalk for details.

Be careful with a 13 front, it will wear out quickly and may result in chain making contact with swingarm?
Doh just ordered one

·
Registered
756 Posts

Only problem i no off is the spacer behind front sprocket being made of mild steel and corroding and taking out oil seal as there is no oil light you don't realise till its lost quite a bit of oil , easy fix though change spacer to stainless one and no more problems :thumbup:ccm,s come standard with stainless spacer :thumbright:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only problem i no off is the spacer behind front sprocket being made of mild steel and corroding and taking out oil seal as there is no oil light you don't realise till its lost quite a bit of oil , easy fix though change spacer to stainless one and no more problems :thumbup:ccm,s come standard with stainless spacer :thumbright:
Will, is this the spacer?

spacer1.jpg
Where can I get one?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hi Marc thats it replace seal as well really easy to do , the problem is as its made from mild steel its corrodes when used off road and corrosion picks up on seal and rips seal then use lose oil :mad: worst case is you don't notice and lock up engine as drz doesn't have oil light you don't realise till its to late , relpace it with stainless spacer and new seal job done worth it for piece of mind alone :thumbup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Job done, replaced spacer and gone down to 14t front. Chains pretty much at maximum length now :(. Scorpion full exhaust managed to fall on the machine at the same time :D Sounds sweet now! :toothy10:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts