Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Please be gentle as I am a spanner monkey.

Bike:- 2007 Yam DT125R, 4500 miles. History:- previous owner could not start it so under warranty yamaha checked it out and said it was poor compression so they renewed the cylinder and gaskets, piston and rings and crankshaft assembely. When they stripped engine they found the piston broken up. This work was done in October last year.

Problem :- Since my girlfriend bought the bike it has started first time every time (by me). Last night she was going for a spin and she couldn't start it. We then noticed that the choke had been left on when she was last out, about 30 mins in a field. I removed the plug which was soaking wet and black, I turned the engine over while the plug was out. Cleaned and dried the plug and put the cap on to check for a spark, spark was there. Replaced the plug and left the bike for an hour, tried again, engine turning but not fireing. I then tried to bump start it but no joy, checked plug again and it was soaking and black so I gave up incase I was doing damage. Engine sounded 'normal' when turning over with no rattles, bangs or thuds.
I am lost can anyone help, Cheers Russ.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Next time open the throtle to max with choke off ,spin the engine for full 5sec to clear the unused petrol and then try starting:cool:
If that dont work take the spark plug out spin it 4 5sec put plug back in and try...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So what was the problem?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
oh dear it,s still flooded.
Turn the petrol off ,take out the plug and leave it longer .
Is it wet with petrol or oil?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I have had a similar problem with my DT125RE 2005, I rode with the choke on for about four or so miles, there was a sort of banging sound so I pulled off the road and it died on me and wouldn't start at all, this happened on sunday. Today I have sent the day stripping the bike to have a look, I read what paulc said but it just won't spark or fire, it makes the occasional loud bang with the throttle open.

What I have done so far - Taken off the carb and checked for flooding, attempted to get it going with easy start, taken off the exhaust to see if there was any blockage and de coked that whilst it was off. However it won't fire and I am a bit fed up with the neighbours laughing at me as I run down the hill trying to bump start it and push start it! :D

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Many thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd start with a new plug, when staring have kill switch off and throttle wide open and kick over 5-10 times.
Then flick kill switch to on, and try to start normally :)

2 strokes are very sensitive and can 'eat' plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aha thanks for getting back to me! :cheers: I will give it a go in a bit, I have taken out the plug and left it to 'dry' for around about an hour now, I have got a new plug too. also sorry I am being stupid but what do you mean by kick over? aha! :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts