Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ducati 750 sport

Been offered a 750 sport for cafe racer project I'm thinking of building what are they like ?? What goes wrong what sort of performance :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think some early ones had 16" wheels that tyres were difficult to get. I had an early 90's 750 Paso that used the same wheels only one manufacturer made the correct tyres in those days.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I've seen them fetch big money

There was one all painted up in beige in a perfume add last year

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I love 1970s Ducatis. I stopped loving them when they made the Paso. That was a nightmare. Injection problems.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The 750 Sport is in my opinion a very fine machine.

I never could afford one of the 750 F1 or Montjuich, Laguna Seca or Santamonica when they were new, and I can not now either...
However the 750 Sport is really not a bad substitute at all.

I really liked it, and it's a rewarding bike to ride on B-roads.

Good luck with your project.

Edit: I see you're been offered a 2002 model, and by then the 750 Sport that I was thinking of above was out of production long ago.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
don't leave it ticking over on the side stand or it will be ticking over on its side before too long . nice bike to ride and the sound fantastic with a pair of teramagonie cans incredibly smooth engins for a twin with very little vibration fast enough too a bit twitchy on country roads in the slower corners but I bet they are great on a race track another thing the timeing belts can only be changed by Italian wizards of mecanic's with hairy arms like the lads in the Italian chip shop if you get anyone else to do it the bike will blow up and it costs £7000 to get them changed every time :lol: im talking about a early 90's bike what year is the bike you are thinking of purchasing .

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for reply's hopefully it will be 2002 model :thumbleft: I would like to go for more retro look not Paul Smart replica but that sort of style , should here in next couple of days if it's mine :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Thanks for reply's hopefully it will be 2002 model :thumbleft: I would like to go for more retro look not Paul Smart replica but that sort of style , should here in next couple of days if it's mine :thumbup:

myself I think the early 90's bikes looked much better and had a nicer petrol tank and would lend themselves better to a café style bike . I think to build any custom bike you really have to start with the right bike or you are at nothing . I have seen countless bikes with a lot of time money and effort put into them and still look naff after it all .

maybe you could fit the older style tank on the 2002 frame ?. for me a café racer the most important component is the petrol tank and if that's not right its all wrong . hear's a nice bike for a bit of inspiration http://databikes.com/imgs/a/c/x/i/e/ducati__750_sport_cafe_racer_trasformato_2001_1_lgw.jpg another bike I think makes a real nice café racer are Hinckley triumph tridents there is one on bikepics.com I think its a 750 the tank is painted silver .

they got a nice tank as standard . I have had both a ducati 750ss and a trident 750 I would like another trident but that's just me I remember when them came out in 91 or 92 and I was smitten it was a long time before I bough one sorry I sold it really . I will try and find that trident now .

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
hears the trident BikePics - 1994 Triumph Trident 750 its not exactly how id do it but its shows the potential . id go with more silver paint and a manx Norton style seat with old style mudguard with with a lucas style tail light . id love a triton and a big bag of money to pay people to keep rebuilding the engine for me after I blow the ****er up :lol:

mind you a Honda cb 750 from the early 90's would most lightly be a more solid base but it don't have the more elite name on the petrol tank sure every ould fool rides a Honda :toothy9: stick a 5 gallon alloy tank clip on's rear sets and a race seat on one and it would make a beautyfull 70's style café racer .

if I were going to build a custom bike I quite fancy a Suzuki gs 1000 and do a superbike type of thing with it wes cooley replica kind of thing . but im a lazy bastard so it be even nicer to just buy a mint ice cream van as they used to call them back in the day :cool:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean I fancy big muscle bike but this is project with my son and I think the Ducati would suit him better , the triumphs can look good I couldn't find donor bike that didn't need engine work see what you think to this :thumbright:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that's a beauty no doubt about it . it was a toss up between a trident 900 in green or a 900 tiger in red a couple of years ago they were on a popular website for selling cars bikes or what ever called donedeal.ie . I was trying to decide what one to buy but I had been over taken on the motorway one morning in the fog by a transalp 600 a few months before and it had got me interested in them it really impressed me . I was thinking about buying an Africa twin a couple of times before but got side tracked I actualy bought a sportster 883 one time only took me bird into the shop to buy her leather jeans . then one evening I started to look at what was up for sale on donedeal.ie and my transalp turned up . so I rang yer man and I was in the car with the bike trailer hooked up and burning up the road quicker than a quick thing on speed :lol: I never regret buying my transalp but a little part of me regrets not buying the trident more so than the tiger . ah sure you cant buy them all and who knows it might have broke my hearth . any troubles with me old transalp were small and easily cured by my self .

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sorry, I was having an elderly pedantic fit about spelling.:D

I completely agree with you about riding them; seeing a perfect, unused bike in a garage or museum is still wrong somehow, just as spending money you don't have on a bike you don't really need is perfectly acceptable. As is rescuing an old heap that really should be scrapped.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Sorry, I was having an elderly pedantic fit about spelling.:D

I completely agree with you about riding them; seeing a perfect, unused bike in a garage or museum is still wrong somehow, just as spending money you don't have on a bike you don't really need is perfectly acceptable. As is rescuing an old heap that really should be scrapped.

ah a gramner Nazi ah shur it must get annoying . I probably don't even notice smelling mistakes or bad punctuation I just get the jist of what people are saying it could be a typo or the poster might not have wrote more than their name in the 20 or 30 years between when then left school where they sat at the back picking their nose looking out the window dreaming about lc 350's or xt 500's or Samantha Fox or Pamela Anderson and got connected to the world wide web :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts