Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys & Girls,

I have test ridden many bikes over the past few years, including GS1200, GS800, Tiger, Tenere, V Strom, Transalp, Versys etc but I have just test ridden the new Ducati Multistrada. To say I was impressed is an understatement. The bike is just suberb. I could go on and on about all its attributes but I would be ranting on for ages. I thought all the electronics would just be a novelty, but they're not, they enable the bike to instantly transform into whatever mood or conditions are at the time. Somehow they have managed to combine all the attributes of every type of bike and produce a package that is a brilliant, versatile bike that is all things to all men.
Time will tell if it is reliable, my brand new test bike had 1000miles on after only 5 days. The prototype bikes were ridden until they would do 20,000 miles without being touched. If something broke or wore out...they fixed it, reset the speedo and started again.

I have an 03 Multistrada, an 03 Africa Twin and an XR 400 but I would sell them all if I could raise the cash to get a new Multistrada.
If Honda could produce something that was half as good it would be sensational but it still wouldn't have the styling or character anyway so sadly I think today has changed my outlook on bikes forever. I didn't quite enjoy my ride home today on the @ for the first time ever, after a test ride. I am gonna have to start saving, and wait until a 2nd hand minter comes along in about 3 yrs time.
BMW, and all the other Japanese manufacturers should sit up and take note, the bike world has just been moved on, and they should be concerned.

·
AfricAddict
65 Posts
I thought I was safe from temptation at least in this little sub-forum, but you had to ruin even that for me...

I'm sure the MS would be a brilliant bike to have around Europe, but would you take her to Africa or Asia? I wouldn't, that's why I have the AT, it's a truly go anywhere bike, where my caponord would be too heavy, unreliable, unservisable, just plain wrong. The MS could take the capo's place but not the AT's..

I would still need to sell 6 capos like mine to get the touring MS version so let's just say that I NEED things to keep me AWAY from the MS, not the other way around...

If anyone has more negative comments to add please make them to help me sleep better... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought I was safe from temptation at least in this little sub-forum, but you had to ruin even that for me...

I'm sure the MS would be a brilliant bike to have around Europe, but would you take her to Africa or Asia? I wouldn't, that's why I have the AT, it's a truly go anywhere bike, where my caponord would be too heavy, unreliable, unservisable, just plain wrong. The MS could take the capo's place but not the AT's..

I would still need to sell 6 capos like mine to get the touring MS version so let's just say that I NEED things to keep me AWAY from the MS, not the other way around...

If anyone has more negative comments to add please make them to help me sleep better... :)
OK. how about this.

I can have...

A multistrada.

OR, for a lot LESS money..

My 20 year old RD04, which will haul me to far off places, where I can sit with my eyes closed, and listen to the sound of waves crashing on the beach. I open my eyes to see the beautiful maria from vietri sul mare (who speaks pretty good english, and helped you in the shop, cos you couldnt speak the lingo ;)) serving up some fresh pasta with that shy little smile...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
oh... the multistrada... I were not ready at all...

I hadn't heard anything about it before. But this saturday on a bike show focused on test riding I thought that the MS could be a nice bike. After testriding the GS's the KTM Adventure the Versys and a few Supermotard bikes i was time for the MS. My god! Loads of power and very very easy to handle in tight corners and in straight lines. Simply love it!

But there is somthing negative other than the pricetag. Vibrations.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just because of the price I'm afraid I won't be looking at a MS seriously for a LONG time but I have sat on one for a while.
It was at a show afew weeks ago and I really felt cramped & stuck almost in a road race bike seating position. This is why I sold a fireblade ages ago, my AT is at lwast very comfortable.
The MS had the footpegs angled down to place my weight forward and the bars seemed very low. The reps at the show weren't up to explaining much, how moveable, if at all, are the footpegs and bars on the MS.

The motorcycle news crew love it according to their report today :thumbup:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
But there is somthing negative other than the pricetag. Vibrations.
Something else:

It's howlingly hideous.

Specs wise it looks like a great bike, if they can make it reliable. And all the clever multimode gizmos look great too if they work. But for me they'd have to deliver it with a complementary brown paper bag...

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
The one you buy may have been made on a friday after the electrician had a very looong vino fueled lunch..............................or on a monday after he had a very loooong vino fueled weekend.......................or a tuesday.............blah blah blah vino...blah blah blah............spaghetti.blah blah blah electrics.

He may have had looong sex with his mistress though and you get a good one!

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
I rode a 1200 multistrada a week ago........and could'nt wait to get back on my 990S.:rolleyes:. very quick with 150bhp and sub 200kg weight.

It's a road bike with zero offroad capabilities, bl**dy expensive ,£14.500, tooooo many electronic gizmos,servicing is £500+ for a major service.

A flashy toy , with no claim on the "Adventure bike" tag. IMHO.:thumbup:.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I rode a 1200 multistrada a week ago........and could'nt wait to get back on my 990S.:rolleyes:. very quick with 150bhp and sub 200kg weight.
It's a road bike with zero offroad capabilities, bl**dy expensive ,£14.500, tooooo many electronic gizmos,servicing is £500+ for a major service.
A flashy toy , with no claim on the "Adventure bike" tag. IMHO.:thumbup:.

I agree with young stan the MS is a road bike. Not a road bike with the Rugged caperbilities off road that the GSA'S and the KTOOOMS have, but no doubt some respectable person will try.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts