Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dutchie needs some help in Wales (update: stranded! But back home)

Hi all,

Sorry for having a first post with a request for help. I'm on holiday in Wales and my fuel pump is acting wierd. It stops pumping suddenly or sometimes directly after starting. A restart helps and thats how i came from harwich to cardiff. However, since my bike is stalling on motorways its getting quite dangerous sometimes. In heading to tenby tomorrow and snowdonia after that. Do you know any place nearby that can help me out?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
As an emergency until the next stop, you can bypass the fuel pump. You will be able to use perhaps half of the fuel tank to feed the carbs by gravity. But at least, it can help temporarily. Remove the fuel pump and the cap and feed 12v directly from the battery. See if the contacts still work. If not, try getting a contact repair kit or have somebody lend you a fuel pump. Not a bad idea to stay an extra day in a small hotel and do some mechanical work on the bike.

BTW What AT do you have? If it's an RD03 or RD04, it is more difficult to remove the fuel pump than on an RD07. The rear shock is in the way on an RD03/04

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. Its a rd07. I was also thinking about bypassing the pump, i'd rather have more tankstops than troubles in the middle of nowhere. At least this fix will take me home. A total fix would be better, so if theres anyone nearby with a spare pump i can buy / test please let me know.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
might be worth trying hear Big Trailie and hear Search 200 Motorcycle Breakers – FREE partfinder for motorbike parts and also advrider.com that will have a lot more traffic and seeing as your out doing your thing people will be helpful . its very quite on hear right now with nice weather and long evenings and all . good luck to you and safe travels' and welcome to the forum :thumbright: you know the old saying a friend with weed is a friend indeed . your from Holland so you will probably have some with you :toothy9: I was driving a lorry 20 years ago and I gave 2 French hitch hikers a lift from Waterford to Wexford that had some strong ass weed that they had grown them self with them . I was whacked out of my head by the time they left the truck . I couldn't even find my hands let alone drive . I had to take a break for a good while :happy6:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for having a first post with a request for help. I'm on holiday in Wales and my fuel pump is acting wierd. It stops pumping suddenly or sometimes directly after starting. A restart helps and thats how i came from harwich to cardiff. However, since my bike is stalling on motorways its getting quite dangerous sometimes. In heading to tenby tomorrow and snowdonia after that. Do you know any place nearby that can help me out?

Many thanks!
where are you now are you still in the cardiff area

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@fred, i'm in tenby (pembrokeshire) now and will drive to snowdonia tomorrow.
Ive got a 5l jetrycan with me now. My friend needs to fuel up every 160 miles so in case of emergency i would always have enough fuel with me to run on gravity. I saw i can easily bypass the pump by mounting the exit hose to my fuel filter. This should be enough to get me back on the boat @harwich.

The weather is great indeed, quite lucky with that. However its over 35degree celsius in Holland now.. not bad either. Thanks for the technical suggestions. And if someone is in trouble in Holland you're welcome in my small workshop. Without weed... ;)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You're too far from me now :D if you take the cap off the fuel pump (5 minute job ) you will be able inspect the points, you can dress the points with a bit of emery cloth. I've used a nail file in the past and been trouble free for years should let you finish your trip at least if it is the points that is at fault :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
There's a small Phillips screw at the back of the black cap. Easy to access.

You can test the pump by removing its electrical connector and applying 12v directly from the battery. See how the pump behaves. Then as suggested, file the points. Retest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried to file the points but it didnt help. Maybe its the signal.. but i dont carry all needed tools to remove all all parts to check it all out. For the last 5 days it eventually always got me where i wanted to be so i think it will cover the last 2 days as well. Fingers crossed. In the meantine in really enjoying wales, great place to be.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
A simple test light bought for a few quids will tell you if voltage reaches the pump. Undo the connector and probe it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately im not anle to test it. I stranded in Rugby on my way back. The bike was stalling after every mile and was running really bad at idle. Called the "AA" who towed me to the nearest workshop. As they were not able to fix it within 48 hours (because of ordering parts) the dutch road service provides a pick up and return service and i got to fly home. I would miss the boat to Holland anyway so thats what i did. Im now sitting at home, just after 6 hours after the lady of the motorcycle shop dropped me at the railway station.

I'll make a roadtrip photostory soon, first its time to sleep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts