Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car cloning through the use of stolen blank registration documents, from the DVLA sometime in 2006 apparently, is not the fault of the DVLA.

BBC News - Theft of DVLA log books fuels cars scam

So, they were responsible for negligence, at the very least, in allowing the blank documents to be stolen in the first place and have "done their bit" reporting the crime. Hands washed of problem - tough luck if you loose all your money.

Nice one DVLA. Again!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Are they going to change their name?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
This quote is interesting...

DVLA chief executive Noel Shanahan told 5 live: "When we discovered that these documents had been stolen, we actually went to the police because it is a criminal act. "If it's a criminal act then clearly we can't be held responsible for that."

Now, I think even if there is a criminal act, they could be held responsible.

Why?

Well, if you are the victim of a criminal act and someone hacks into your broadband connection and uses it for illegal downloads, you will be held responsible and face the fines regardless of who actually did the downloading.

Maybe that's unfair but DVLA's failure to address the problem an change the logbook document (and reissue all of the ones in current use) allows the scams to continue. Therefore they are responsible for the fallout from not taking preventative action. It's cheaper for them to be complicit in the defrauding of private individuals rather than get their head out of their asses and solve the problem.

Beancounters!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
DVLA chief executive Noel Shanahan told 5 live: "When we discovered that these documents had been stolen, we actually went to the police because it is a criminal act.
Stealing is a criminal act, eh? No s**t, Sherlock. :rolleyes: And they actually went to the police. Woo hoo.

I'm slightly bothered by the way this is phrased:
The DVLA has published on its website a list of serial numbers for the blank log books which it believes have gone missing.
The ones they believe have gone missing? So they aren't sure?!?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So if you are unlucky enough to get a new V5 and it is from the ones they think are missing but are not.
What happens?

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
This quote is interesting...

Now, I think even if there is a criminal act, they could be held responsible.

Why?

Well, if you are the victim of a criminal act and someone hacks into your broadband connection and uses it for illegal downloads, you will be held responsible and face the fines regardless of who actually did the downloading.

Maybe that's unfair but DVLA's failure to address the problem an change the logbook document (and reissue all of the ones in current use) allows the scams to continue. Therefore they are responsible for the fallout from not taking preventative action. It's cheaper for them to be complicit in the defrauding of private individuals rather than get their head out of their asses and solve the problem.

Beancounters!
I think you'll find they'd be responsible in any case under the terms of the Data Protection Act, which confers a legal requirement to protect personal data and a liability for any theft if you have held it under insecure conditions. I'm not a lawyer, but i suspect the Information Commissioner's Office might have something to say about it all...

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
bunch of plonkers! :rolleyes: Just doing my car test this week and bemused (although slightly less so now I've read this :D ) that they don't even trust their own systems:

To book a test you have to have a theory pass cert number. No number, no test.................but you can't sit your test that you booked without the tatty piece of paper they call a theory cert (which could be forged by anyone with a good printer!) :confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I think you'll find they'd be responsible in any case under the terms of the Data Protection Act, which confers a legal requirement to protect personal data
...personal data - not blank forms. It was blank logbooks that were stolen so DPA doesn't apply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts