Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch dog on bbc1 are covering this issue now with motorcycle entitlements being covered

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
What was the outcome?
I am working and missed it.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Ann robinson and a brass hat from DVLA arguing with each other, she was telling him DVLA was F***ing things up completely, and him trying to argue back it was only a small percentage of people that had problems,

but if you do a SORN notice do not post it, do it a the post office or online or by phone, cos if they lose it and you do not tell em you have not received the letter confirming the SORN they will consider it not done and automatically nick you

·
Registered
346 Posts
In my time I have lost my Bike entitlement and had to take another test which I wasn't best pleased about. I also lost my entitlement to drive a minibus when they changed that, which was inconvienent as I owned a 12 seat Land Rover at the time and couln't legally drive it ... got that sorted though as I had a copy of my licence - and my entitlement to drive track laying vehicles which I got back with the British Army's help.

I have that problem right now. When I moved sent of my V5's for my vehicles plus a SORN notification for my MT500 by Royal Mail. DVLA said they didn't receive them and it will cost my £25 per V5 to get replacements unless I can sent them the slip you keep. Sent photocopies of these and was told they couldn't give me a V5 unless I sent the original slip.

As they (or the post office) lost my last set of docs and as these are the only things I have left proving I did have a V5 I am somewhat reluctant to send them. So now we are waiting for me to have the time to go to a local VRO to have these signed for or whatever.

I could go on but suffice to say the DVLA make mistakes and it's not just a few people (unless they are picking on me that is).

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
but if you do a SORN notice do not post it, do it a the post office or online or by phone, cos if they lose it and you do not tell em you have not received the letter confirming the SORN they will consider it not done and automatically nick you
A bloke on bikechatforums.com called sickpup sucessfully challenged them over that in court and won, setting a precedent (I think), and his defence has been used succesfully a few more times since then by the looks of things. Including by this lad :

Bike Chat Forums : DVLA taking me t'court, docs inside -RESULT

Well I got to court this morning to put forward my case. The usher came over and asked if I was ok, as I was sitting on my own with no legal or family support.

I said yes I was, and he asked if I knew what I was going to say. I produced my 12 A4 sheets of information/statement and he was like oh, good lad, nice to see young initiative for once. He told the prosecutor that I would be pleading non guilty, and she came over to me to ask what I was doing. She requested my arguments, which I gave her a basic of, and then she quickly realised that the argument I was going to put forward, coupled with the FOI info (cheers sickpup) AND the name error made them look like fools. I said I was happy to wait out until court, but she said she was withdrawing the summons straight away, and I was free to go, she would be sending me a letter saying they apologise and giving me a form to apply for costs. It's a bit of a **** victory, as I wanted to be able to give ANOTHER case reference to the list adding up against the DVLA, but at least this means that they've realised they can't just tell people the law and demand money.

The prosecutor was stunning, I kept staring openly at her chest while she was talking, which annoyed her even more.

So all in all, DVLA are a bunch of pussy***** who couldn't take on a 19 year old with no qualifications, no legal help apart from some bods on a motorcycle forum. Nice one govt.
The whole of sickpups battle with them including the foi requests and things are on there somewhere too (couldn't find the link again myself quickly). Interesting reading.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Shame, issue relating to missing entitlement on driving licence was not discussed with the DVLA guy.. Felt sorry for that biker who had to take his test again !!
From what I seen yesterday, My advise to anyone is, keep records, post recorded delivery, obtain proof of delivery, ask for docs back, use on line, use post office, use local DVLA office..etc.. Sounds extreme but better be safe than sorry...
(Saying this, I am waiting on new V5 doc from DVLA. "Nerves time?" I shall hope not)...

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
He was on the telly last night,and yes he has attempte to set a precednt
but from the sound of the belligerant ,crat DVLA has not changed it,s attitude at all, he was one of those types we are right no one else can overule us, we are a government department and common sense does not apply, Basically they will not get up out of their chairs to look for anything, it has too fall into their laps for anything to be done about it, they will not look for lost post unless it is sent recorded, and we are payin them good money to do this, come the revolution DVLA will be replaced with human beings hopefully

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Ah..was that him? I wondered as the case seemed similar (didn't see the program but caught a couple of clips on the bbc website).

I'd guess their attitude will change over this and so will their policy, when more and more people start facing them in court. At the moment my guess is that they're relying on people being scared and just paying the penalties, but when they find themselves in court more and more, and losing and having to pay costs (not to mention the bad publicity over wasting court time and potentially public money) it'd force some sort of change? I have a feeling I might be being very naive here however :(

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
do a SORN notice do not post it, do it a the post office or online or by phone, cos if they lose it and you do not tell em you have not received the letter confirming the SORN they will consider it not done and automatically nick you
I handed a couple in to the local dvla a couple of years ago and only recieved a letter for one so I re-did it online and lo and behold three weeks later an 80 fine for not doing it. When I challenged it I was told the fact I had redone it highlighted to them that the car was not sorned before the tax had expired or the tax due date was past. When I pointed out it had been on a sorn for 2 years and handed in at the dvla office with another they could not explain it,it took about 3 letters and a visit to the berk I handed it to to sort it out,about half a week of my time down the crapper for me being concientious.......................

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
When DVLA took over the licencing from the met for HGV and PCV they revoked my licence as I am registered disabled, I challenged them and they claimed it was their Medical examiner who said I could not drive due to my disability.
They were so rude to me that I returned to the doctor who had given me the medical for the licence and he threatened to them to court.
He was a Harley Street surgeon and questioned the Jumped up jobs worth.
My full entitlement arrived in the post two days later.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Ah..was that him? I wondered as the case seemed similar (didn't see the program but caught a couple of clips on the bbc website).

I'd guess their attitude will change over this and so will their policy, when more and more people start facing them in court. At the moment my guess is that they're relying on people being scared and just paying the penalties, but when they find themselves in court more and more, and losing and having to pay costs (not to mention the bad publicity over wasting court time and potentially public money) it'd force some sort of change? I have a feeling I might be being very naive here however :(
I am not 100% sure it was him but it seems likley

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
DVLA TOSSERS, If you sell your bike and then post the log book to the DVLA and they dont receive it. your suppose to chase up with in 4 weeks that you have not had conformation of change of owner. If you dont you will receive a letter asking you if you have sold your vehicle , so you write back saying Yes sold it on this date to this person. By this time however it is to late as the DVLA tossers have already sending you a fixed penalty, if you dont pay this then you are going to be summonsed to court.
I spoke to their complaints line and got a Swansea Muppet saying, Its your fault they have not received your documents and you have to pay or go to court good bye. I said to the man they have admitted in the past they have lost countless mail and documents but they sit in their white tower on the side on the M4 in Morriston being highly paid Government morons.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Either send it registered post so they have to sign for it or send it with a bomb.
When the news reports a bomb found you know they got your docs.:D

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
DVLA TOSSERS, If you sell your bike and then post the log book to the DVLA and they dont receive it. your suppose to chase up with in 4 weeks that you have not had conformation of change of owner. If you dont you will receive a letter asking you if you have sold your vehicle , so you write back saying Yes sold it on this date to this person. By this time however it is to late as the DVLA tossers have already sending you a fixed penalty, if you dont pay this then you are going to be summonsed to court.
I spoke to their complaints line and got a Swansea Muppet saying, Its your fault they have not received your documents and you have to pay or go to court good bye. I said to the man they have admitted in the past they have lost countless mail and documents but they sit in their white tower on the side on the M4 in Morriston being highly paid Government morons.

[/URL]
I am not even going to comment in the muppet involved in this situation, he wasn't the one in Swansea though

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Either send it registered post so they have to sign for it or send it with a bomb.
When the news reports a bomb found you know they got your docs.:D

That is GENIUS! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Not sure what the security bods would think of it though......... :D

Alternatively, you could send it wrapped around a brick. Bit pricey on the postage front, but they'd remember it alright.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
SORN at the post office, then there is a 100% proven record of having done it

send off your license renewal but dont send them the original photo card, keep it and tick the "lost it" box, and also write down every entitlement you have for them. give them as few excuses to cock up as you can, they cant argue if you have the original still in your possession

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SORN at the post office, then there is a 100% proven record of having done it

send off your license renewal but dont send them the original photo card, keep it and tick the "lost it" box, and also write down every entitlement you have for them. give them as few excuses to cock up as you can, they cant argue if you have the original still in your possession

When i sent mine off for renewal on April i sent the old one away, i put a letter in the envelope and a self addrressed envelope with stmp asking for my old one back aswell, sent them recorded delivery and i had both back ok. I was very anxious though while they were in Wales

1 - 17 of 17 Posts