Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I got the XRV650 Tested on a Dyno,

There was two issues according to the results & also what the Dyno instructor told me.

1: The main jet is running rich.
So from 50kph - 120kph it ran ok but from
120kph onwards it gets richer.
The Dyno instructor said it will need a new main jet needle.
I have herd on this forum that the AT runs a bit rich as standard?
What do you guys think ?

2: a bigger issue, clutch slipping.
There is no issues when driving the bike under 120kph,
when you push it past that the clutch slips and the Rev counter shoots up but your speed stays the same,
The instructor said it improved a bit when he adjusted the cable on the lever end and also when the bike warmed up.

He said it would need new friction plates and maybe the steel plates depending on there condition.

The oil I use is Castrol GTX 10W40 car oil (semi synthetic) maybe a issue ?

Your thoughts are welcome.

89 Africa Twin RD03

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Castrol GTX does not meet API requirements for your Honda. SE, SF or SG is what you want to see on the label.

Oh oh...here comes an oil thread. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the oil is the issue .

It's hard to find the right oil that the user manual recommends because most shops don't stock old style oils from the 80s.
The GTX is not that advanced and should be ok .

From what I have said above does it sound like a oil issue or clutch plates issue ?
Has anybody had the same experience ?

89 Africa Twin RD03

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's a piece of piss to get the right oil! Any 10w40 semi synth motorcycle oil is what you need. That car oil is what's causing it to slip, it's got friction reducers in it that are doing what they are supposed to do, hence the clutch slipping.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just remembered it's actually 10w40 motorcycle oil that is in the engine and I have been topping it up with the GTX :/

I serviced the bike last in Switzerland at a Honda dealership. Since then I have topped it up maybe 3 times so 300ml GTX ....

89 Africa Twin RD03

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes

89 Africa Twin RD03
Was tempted myself but my fuel pump disconnected itself on the way down as the cable was short, had to put the old one back in at the side of the road! Old one makes it hesitate when winding on the throttle. Disappointed with the show as well, very small and feck all to buy. That and the sprocket carrier bearing shat itself on the way home.... Oh and what power did she make then?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I agree, too many information stands, nothing interesting except the new AT ;) very nice bike. It's a shame I didn't get to talk to you at the show, I think I saw your bike, red/white AT by the side entrance?

Top Speed 111mph
Max Power 47.13
Max Torque 38.20

89 Africa Twin RD03

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes I agree, too many information stands, nothing interesting except the new AT ;) very nice bike. It's a shame I didn't get to talk to you at the show, I think I saw your bike, red/white AT by the side entrance?

Top Speed 111mph
Max Power 47.13
Max Torque 38.20

89 Africa Twin RD03
I parked at the front of the dyno truck, the one at the side with broken screen and side panels I'm not sure who owned it but he'd eyeballed mine when I went past, he'd goneby the time I locked everything up tho

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I parked at the front of the dyno truck, the one at the side with broken screen and side panels I'm not sure who owned it but he'd eyeballed mine when I went past, he'd goneby the time I locked everything up tho
I didn't see your bike so.
The other AT looked rough alright..

89 Africa Twin RD03

1 - 20 of 34 Posts