Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the debate going on about E-Cigs, I was wondering if anyone here was using them and having success with ditching the **** ?

I've not had a cigarette since 3rd May, not actually given anything up, just substituted smoking with 'vaping' .

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Not personally but have several chain-smoking mates that have given up the baccy for e-cigs
By chain smoking think 60 a day rollies, stopped the **** no problem another was on 50/50 for 6 months but has now just about given up the rollies.

Good luck John. It's a filthy habbit ;)

sent from my 'phone

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
With all the debate going on about E-Cigs, I was wondering if anyone here was using them and having success with ditching the **** ?
I tried one just over a year ago. It was a bit of a crap one (compared to the much better things available now), but even with that, within just a few days I'd almost by accident stopped smoking. Came as quite a shock how effortless it was after years of being a fairly heavy smoker and failed quit attempts in the past. I wasn't consciously making a big effort to stop - and I did love to smoke - but I'd just started picking up the ecig more than my tobacco, then about day 3 or 4 happened to look at the empty ashtray and thought "wow".

After moving to vaping full time for a few months, I accepted a few cigarettes offered to me - out of convenience and curiosity more than anything, and found them disappointing. It took a little while, but I got to the point where I'd got used to vaping and cigarettes seemed a bit crap by comparison to the nice flavours and thick vapour of a good ecigarette. Really struck me how horrible and burned it tasted and the smoke was a bit wispey unsatisfying compared to vaping too (and by that point I'd got used to having a button to turn the thing up and down - which a real cigarette lacks of course). I think you mentally filter out that bonfire taste when you smoke full time, but after a few months of vaping nice flavours and your sense of smell and taste coming back to life, it really hits you if you try a cigarette again at that point.

I also noticed after a few months that I was leaving the house without my ecig and able to go hours without craving it like I would tobacco (I've even left it at home when going out for a drink and without the temptation to smoke). I think there might be more to cigarette addiction than just the nicotine (seems to be a few articles popping up by scientists suggesting this now that other chemicals are involved).

I've not had a cigarette since 3rd May, not actually given anything up, just substituted smoking with 'vaping' .
You've given up burning tobacco and inhaling smoke and all the tar and other crap in it, and handing over £7 a day to the government (and tobacco companies of course). I suspect you'll already be feeling some health benefits from it (particularly if you smoked heavily before). I don't think anybody knows the long term effects but short term I've definitely noticed a big improvement and the signs seem to be that they'll be massively safer than real cigarettes (lets hope so anyway).

I had to see a doc recently and when he asked if I smoked I told him I'd switched to vaping about a year ago and he said "are you still smoking tobacco?" - "no?" - "so you've given up smoking then".

It still doesn't quite seem like I've given up because I still get the pleasure I used to get from smoking from vaping, but in many ways I think he's right and I have given up. It just doesn't feel like it.

Hope you stick with it anyway - you'll save a fortune and feel much better for it I expect.

If you haven't already seen them - check out:

UK Vapers

and

Planet of the Vapes UK Vaping and E-Cigarette Forum

Loads of helpful info and advice on there.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Totally agree with you Zen, especially about other chemicals.
A month in and I have no desire to smoke a cigarette, but I do feel a lacking/craving for something, just not sure what.

Thanks for links, will read later.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Do e-cigs work like electronic sheesha pipes?

Is the difference between cigarettes and e-cigs comparable to inhaling smoke from a fire, or inhaling air in a steam room?

I've never ever smoked, and I'm probably the worlds worst anti-smoker, but I have always missed knowing what to do, when you're out on a bike ride with mates and they all have a stop for a cigarette... probably why my palms are so hairy!!! :lol:

So, do you think that e-cigs will eventually replace tobacco?

It's interesting that smoking rules apply to e-cigs, meaning people still have to leave bars or restaurants to light up. Can innocent people nearby be affected by e-cigs??

It does get on my tits, that when I work with someone that smokes, they usually end up nicking about 50 minutes a day off of our employer, while I'm slaving away on my own!!!

:thumbup:

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Totally agree with you Zen, especially about other chemicals.
A month in and I have no desire to smoke a cigarette, but I do feel a lacking/craving for something, just not sure what.

Thanks for links, will read later.

It's good that you're no longer craving cigarettes, but if you're still getting some cravings, you could try increasing the nicotine level of the liquid you're using and/or look for a more efficient device (not sure what you're using but some of the atomizers available nowadays are really good).

I think the nicotine delivery isn't quite as quick as with a regular cigarette so if you're just switching over from cigarettes, using one of the higher strength liquids can help to begin with (I started out with 34 or 36mg I think, though over time people tend to naturally start reducing it - I'm using around 12mg to 16mg now - or a bit less with one particular atomizer that seems more efficient).

If you're missing the throat hit and dryness of a cigarette, you can get some stuff called tobacco absolute from this site:

LT Ecigs

Just a few drops of that into a tobacco flavoured liquid helps to add a bit more of a cigarette feel to it (that's also a good site if you want to try mixing up your own liquid - works out much cheaper than buying the ready made stuff and is quite easy to do - though getting the flavour as good as some of the premade ones is where the skill lies).

Or if you fancy treating yourself, these might be worth a look:

The Finest eLiquid Brands Worldwide

Their cigar flavour ones are meant to be really good (though I haven't tried them yet myself).

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, I believe they are a type of mini hubbly bubbly machine, a heating element heats a flavoured liquid with or without nicotine in, which produces a vapour/stream.

The whole debate revolves around the fact that it's not regulated and nobody knows the long term effects. Plus kids are picking up on the wacky flavours you can get like tutti fruity, bubblegum, etc.

I'm really surprised that the tobacco companies haven't got involved in it yet to produce branded cigarette flavours.

As for hairy palms......
Don't think that has anything to do with not smoking, maybe you don't masterbate enough ;)

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again Zen, thanks for the links.
Currently on an 18mg Vanilla but do also have a 24mg Golden Virginia flavour which I haven't tried yet (only bought it in case I felt I needed a stronger dose).

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Do e-cigs work like electronic sheesha pipes?
I think electronic sheesha pipes are just a name people have given to ecigarettes that don't contain any nicotine (and to get around ebays rules so they can sell ecig devices without calling them ecigs). When you get the liquids to put in them you can get different strengths of nicotine, or liquid with no nicotine at all (many people who switch to vaping reduce their nicotine levels over time - sometimes eventually down to zero).

Is the difference between cigarettes and e-cigs comparable to inhaling smoke from a fire, or inhaling air in a steam room?
They don't have any tobacco in them, and nothing gets burned (unless something goes wrong). They're basically miniature fog machines (like you'd have at a rock concert or theatre), and apart from the nicotine and flavouring, they use the same liquid in them too (propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine - they use these in nebulisers, asthma inhalers, various food stuffs etc already too).

Although there are all sorts of ingenious designs now, at their core, they're all very simple. There's a little wick inside them with a coil of resistance wire wrapped around it. The wick sucks up the liquid,then when you press a button, electricity goes through the wire causing it to heat up (just like the wires in a toaster), and this vapourises the liquid on the wick without burning anything.

Although it looks like smoke, and it's similar enough to the way smoke feels to be satisfying to a smoker, it's not really smoke (but it's not just water vapour either as many people claim - but it's probably closer to that than it is smoke though).

I've never ever smoked, and I'm probably the worlds worst anti-smoker, but I have always missed knowing what to do, when you're out on a bike ride with mates and they all have a stop for a cigarette... probably why my palms are so hairy!!! :lol:
I bet most smokers, even the ones that really like doing it, would rather have nothing to do too. I don't think I've ever met a long term smoker, no matter how much they enjoy it, or are committed to continuing, was glad they took it up.

So, do you think that e-cigs will eventually replace tobacco?
It already has for many people (myself included):

E-cigarette users have tripled to 2 million since 2012, study finds | Society | The Guardian

I suspect it will more and more given a chance. Unfortunately the EU and UK regulators have been sticking their nose in and basically handed the market over to the big tobacco companies and pharmaceutical industry after 2016 with some of the regulations they've come up with (there's a bit of a battle been going on about that). It looks like many scientists and doctors are starting to kick off about this now, so hopefully there'll be some more pressure to fight it before it comes into force (they've already agreed an EU directive over it so it'll probably take a lot to change that at this point - a directive that was the brain child of a politician who resigned over allegations he solicited bribes from a tobacco company and who was later found doing transfers of millions of euros to a bank account in the bahamas - http://corporateeurope.org/lobbycra...-bahamas-trips-and-commissioners-code-conduct).

They basically want to ban anything that isn't one of the crappy little expensive things that look like real cigarettes and will cost about the same to use (the things most people end up using once they've been doing it for while are tank devices with big batteries - they look more like torches or boxes than a cigarette - as those are the most effective and cheap to run).

It's interesting that smoking rules apply to e-cigs, meaning people still have to leave bars or restaurants to light up. Can innocent people nearby be affected by e-cigs??
According to many of the studies so far, there doesn't seem to be so much worry about second hand vapour. I was quite surprised to find out since taking this up, that the nicotine itself, despite being addictive and the bad reputation it's been given, isn't actually as harmful as we've been lead to believe (many doctors seem to suggest its about on par with coffee). It's the tar and other stuff in smoke that's the bigger problem. Nicotine has just ended up getting a bad reputation because it's delivery mechanism up until now has been smoking tobacco. It's actually in a lot of foods we eat like potatoes, aubergines etc (albeit in very small amounts).

If you're interested in finding out more about what's going on with them, this place is good:

The counterfactual

it's the guy who used to be a director of ASH the anti smoking group who has done a lot to fight their corner.

Or this doctor (who has worked in tobacco control for years and does a lot to dispell some of the propaganda and bad research that has been done on them):

The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary

I doubt they're perfectly safe either to be honest, but then nothing is. Compared to tobacco, there seems to be a great deal of evidence mounting up (despite some of the propaganda floating around) that they'll be a lot safer than cigarettes in the long term.

My personal experience is that I was able to quit cigarettes within a few days without really trying (which is a miracle for me), and after a couple of weeks I'd stopped coughing my guts up every morning and was marching around the place at twice the speed I used to without getting out of breath, and things have only got better since then. So in the short term at least, they've been much healthier for me.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
The whole debate revolves around the fact that it's not regulated and nobody knows the long term effects.
There is actually already regulation in place that govern the quality of the eliquid and also electrical safety of devices. It's just they're pushing for them to be more strictly regulated (I think the existing regulations could be improved but they've gone a bit over the top now and after 2016 there'll be all sorts of restrictions in place that will basically outlaw ecigarettes as we know them in this country - and if the MRA has their way only the pharmaceutical companies will be able to supply them).

Plus kids are picking up on the wacky flavours you can get like tutti fruity, bubblegum, etc.
According to research done by ASH, that hasn't really happened to any significant extent. Adults like nice flavours too. It's one of the things that stops people going back to cigarettes (if I had only been able to vape flavours that tasted like cigarettes, then it wouldn't have put me off smoking real tobacco as much as it did I think).

I know there's the odd story about kids trying them, but some kids are going to experiment with real cigarettes too. Better that they try something less harmful in that case imho. If you look at the figures, the "think of the children" scare mongering is exactly that, at the moment (in this country at least).

I'm really surprised that the tobacco companies haven't got involved in it yet to produce branded cigarette flavours.
Most of the tobacco companies have bought into ecig companies over the last few years. Unsurprisingly they all tend to make ecigs that look exactly like real cigarettes, that taste as much like a real cigarette as possible, and that runs out after a few hours so you have to buy a new one or small expensive refils for them (which uncoincidentally cost pretty much exactly what it would have cost for a box of real cigarettes).

They're sometimes handy if you get stuck, but they're all pretty crappy and over priced compared to the more advanced devices available nowadays (it's the more advanced ones the regulators are going after and the rules they're bringing in pretty much leave the market to the tobacco company style devices). It's quite shameful imho.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Blimey - sorry about the wall of text there. I'll shut up now and should probably get on with other things. I'm just quite enthused about them as they've worked out so well for me, and a bit miffed that when I have finally found something that's worked to stop me smoking, the politicians are trying to take it away from me. Didn't realise I'd written so much.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a new user I didn't realise how in depth it all was.

I'm sure the tobacco companies and the government are quite worried about a loss of profit and revenue.

So want you're saying, in the next couple of years we should expect an e-liquid tax duty to hike the price.

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I fulfill that need most weekends.

Speaking of which, I still have a pair of knickers and bra of yours which you left in my tent at the National.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I gave up smoking tobacco on doctors orders after developing asthma.
I have never tried an e-ciggy but I am interested in the research findings.
One of my friends suggested smoking herbal tobacco is supposed to be good for asthma as it relaxes the airways.
On my last visit to my asthma doctor, I asked him if this was true but he had no evidence to the contrary.
I have put on a stone since I gave up tobacco but thats probably from trying the herbal asthma remedy.:clown::clown::clown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I gave up smoking tobacco on doctors orders after developing asthma.
I have never tried an e-ciggy but I am interested in the research findings.
One of my friends suggested smoking herbal tobacco is supposed to be good for asthma as it relaxes the airways.
On my last visit to my asthma doctor, I asked him if this was true but he had no evidence to the contrary.
I have put on a stone since I gave up tobacco but thats probably from trying the herbal asthma remedy.:clown::clown::clown:
Hi! I was diagnosticated with asthma too and I've asked my doctor if it's ok to start vaping. He said it's cool if I'll use only glicerine based liquids and that's what I've done. I've bought an e-cig starter kit from here Electronic Cigarette Starter Kits - Vape Compare and some glicerine-based liquids from here E-liquids - Vape Compare and I'm vaping since then without any respiratory problems ( but my asthma ) :)). You should try... it's ok. Hope I helped you! Ce-ya!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
My Asthma is pretty much under control with the meds I get on prescription.
I still buy a packet of **** once in a while but only if I am feeling miffed about something.
I would much rather stick to the herbs from my garden.:clown::clown::clown:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts