Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Honda XRV 750 RD07 AFRICA TWIN 1995
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our leaders in there quest to go green are introducing E10 fuel in Autum this year, I've checked on website and we may have problems with ATs in cold conditions, any of our members out there using this fuel currently? I' ve done a little research already and I'm renewing all my fuel lines ( most are very old anyway) and also thinking of increasing size of main and pilot jets.

·
Registered
353 Posts
E5 is supposedly still going to be available..still rotten stuff..but we've been forced to use it for a few years now..it's going to be..as you say..a petrol pipe replacement job for sure !..I've been adding " Stabil " and " Dipetane" to the E5 crap to try and combat the rot.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've seen pics of the insides of carbs off newer models that are full of corrosion due to running E10 here in Oz. It wasn't pretty and I'm unsure whether ther mechanic who was cleaning up the mess said whether the alcohol or the water it tends to attract and hold is the cause.

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
536 Posts
Esso Synergy premium petrol is ethanol-free, even though it's marked as being E5. E10 will become the standard grade, but I believe E5 will still be available as premium fuel. Hopefully Esso Synergy ethanol-free will still be sold, which will suit me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to the guidance I read, all Honda motorbikes since sometime in the ‘80s should be compatible. Which covers my Honda Bros as well as the AT.
So, what is the issue?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unfortunately I live in the North East so Esso use E5/E10

Honda have said that anything 1993> is ethanol E10 compatible but might start poorly in cold weather.

My NTV and ST1100 should be fine. My XRV650 should be fine I've replaced a the fuel hoses and will drain the carbs and tank when laying it up over winter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Everything after 1993.? Utter crap.!..so cars after 2012 yes..but a 28 year old bike ? No chance...back then no one would have even heard of ethanol petrol...They might run on it..but everything plastic or rubber is going to disintegrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry no longer required Hi I have a '91 Transalp, in London which I now only ride occasionally, but it currently has fuel in it and my car doesn't so battery is charging. BUT concerned about E10, just in case, so came here to check, I have read gov guidelines, no help as mine is pre '93, also seen Oz stories but really want first hand experience.... Can anyone here confirm that they have been using the new E10 petrol in a pre '93 Transalp without problems? And/Or what steps they took to avoid problems? Ta

1 - 9 of 9 Posts