Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The weather forecast for the weekend was sun and warmish weather so Mr M and myself convinced Mini M that a ride through to mid Wales and a couple of nights camping would be fun.

We started heading up the M4 towards neath and then over towards Brecon. Mr M developed mind reading abilites as we approached RAC corner in the Breacon beacons and stopped for a cup of tea.

Cup of tea and burger (with cheese) later we jumped back onto the bikes and headed towards Builth Wells. Mr M decided to head towards the suspension bridge to give Mini M a little bit of a laugh

From there we headed over to Elan Valley to the little campsite that we found last year just in Cwmystwyth. It is quiet and we pitched our tent just by the side of a little river.

Whilst we were setting up our tents Mini M got comfie in hers

We did the important stuf by making sure the beer was in the fridge

Then took in the views from the tent before thinking about dinner

Mini M decided to see just cold the river was - took 2 minutes before she came back for her gloves and jumper

Monkey was really naughty and opened the chocolates befoer we were all ready

so in the absence of a ball we played catch the monkey

Saturday we took a little ride through the copper mines

Whilst I was taking some piccies some cheeky sod nicked my bike

yoofs now days

We then headed down to aberwystwyth for some sightseeing and a day at the seaside

We had a barbie for tea

We then packed up to come home Sunday

Took a similar route home but stopped on the Rigos for a cup of coffee and ice cream

Fantastic weekend, we are now all knackered, smelly and in need of a bath and some chocolate

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds like you had a marvellous time. Am officially jealous. Top weather for it too..... :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
The weather forecast for the weekend was sun and warmish weather so Mr M and myself convinced Mini M that a ride through to mid Wales and a couple of nights camping would be fun.

Know the area well and the campsite too as we had a family cottage just down the road about 2 miles away "when I wer a kid"! Place called Hafod.

Lead mines though, not copper. They are the reason the Ystwyth river is sterile much of the time. Every now and then, nature starts to get a hold and lichens, weed and even fish appear and then a wet winter washes loads of leaded water down and the river is "clean" once again. :)

I was taken down them by some of the local Caving and Mine boys 15-20 years ago and was never so terrified in my life as we entered on our stomachs through an opening 18" high. Serious claustrophobia until we got in and put the lamps on then fascination took over...

Maybe worth a trip over there on Thursday now you have reminded me as my daughter wants a run out. She would prefer tomorrow, but I want to go to see the Hill Climb at Loton Park.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Nice one Mabel..........I see you're a follower of fashion with your 'footless tights' :rolleyes:

That monkey wants a clip round the earhole :violent1:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
nice mabel im sure we rode past that campsite when we were on one of the ride outs on last years national meet...ans thinking to myself what a cracking place:cool: :cool: :cool: great pics glad you all had a great time;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Niiiice

I did Salisbury, Brecon, Snowdon, Salisbury on Wednesday (in the car :( ) and without doubt, the A470 is a cracking road. Fantastic scenery laced by a brilliant road.

Can't wait 'til the next time I'm on it on the bike

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Looks like you all had a brillant time and glorious weather to boot !!! :D

Niamh was looking at your pic Mabel and asked me how old your daughter was. I said I wasnt sure - she showed me the pic of you and said ' she looks like shes about 16 in that pic :shock: :D :D :D :D

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Looks like you all had a brillant time and glorious weather to boot !!! :D

Niamh was looking at your pic Mabel and asked me how old your daughter was. I said I wasnt sure - she showed me the pic of you and said ' she looks like shes about 16 in that pic :shock: :D :D :D :D
funny that i showed the wife and she said about 18:D your days getting better mabel:D

·
Mines a big red one
6,178 Posts
Asda got a special offer on eye tests at the moment :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Alpslapper my daughter is 10. as for me, I wish I was 18 again but definately a long way from that.
Don't we all wish for the same when the back creaks!! :)) OOI, where did you get the bike gear for your sprog Mabel? My lad (a short 11yo) has taken a real liking to riding pillion with me and it is something I am happy for him to do. However, he could do with some proper gear, jacket and troosies or all in one as your daughter is wearing, I think?? Looked on ebay and almost got a jacket a fortnight ago.

The older girls can wear their Mum's old bike gear as it has all unaccountably, shrunk! Cracks about remebering when "you were a size 14" gets me a kick on the shin from Janice tho'!! Dunno why...

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Keep an eye out on forums and places like 'Loot' too. I picked up all the gorls kit quite reasonably that way over the last few years but a few months ago had to bite the bullet with Niamh and got her all new kit from Heine Gereck. Fantastic kit and she can hand it down to her little sister.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the Jacket from Ebay, it is a ladies small jacket, has a bit of growing room in it but not too bad. The trousers I bought from my local bike shop, they are frank thomas and again ladies small size. Caitlin is very tall for her age and usually fits into age 12 - 13 clothes.

If you are patient on Ebay you should get lucky. THe adult extra small sizes may well do the trick.

She is fully kitted out except boots, she wears her riding boots on the bike which isn't ideal and is the next thing we will buy.

Cost - Jacket cost £10, trousers £50, helmet I think was about £50.

She also has a pair of leather trousers, again womens extra small which were £10 on ebay.

I do love a bargain. :D

It was the one thing that I insisted on before I would allow her on the bike, they way I see it is that we ride knowing full well what will happen if we come off, if we choose not to wear all the gear well our injuries should not be a surprise, if we allow our children to experience the joy of motorcycles then they are not fully able to comprehend the hazards it is up to parents to make sure that risks are minimizes by making sure they are well equiped

Although my sisters think I am nuts letting her on the bike

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Keep an eye out on forums and places like 'Loot' too. I picked up all the gorls kit quite reasonably that way over the last few years but a few months ago had to bite the bullet with Niamh and got her all new kit from Heine Gereck. Fantastic kit and she can hand it down to her little sister.
Just had the HG catalogue with Bike mag. Lots of nice stuff, but oh so pricey :)

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I bought the Jacket from Ebay, it is a ladies small jacket, has a bit of growing room in it but not too bad. The trousers I bought from my local bike shop, they are frank thomas and again ladies small size. Caitlin is very tall for her age and usually fits into age 12 - 13 clothes.

If you are patient on Ebay you should get lucky. THe adult extra small sizes may well do the trick.

She is fully kitted out except boots, she wears her riding boots on the bike which isn't ideal and is the next thing we will buy.

Cost - Jacket cost £10, trousers £50, helmet I think was about £50.

She also has a pair of leather trousers, again womens extra small which were £10 on ebay.

I do love a bargain. :D

It was the one thing that I insisted on before I would allow her on the bike, they way I see it is that we ride knowing full well what will happen if we come off, if we choose not to wear all the gear well our injuries should not be a surprise, if we allow our children to experience the joy of motorcycles then they are not fully able to comprehend the hazards it is up to parents to make sure that risks are minimizes by making sure they are well equiped

Although my sisters think I am nuts letting her on the bike
I agree wholeheartdly with you on the riding gear question and make the girls wear jacket, boots gloves etc. There are leather trousers that fit, but they are more for a longer trip. I have noticed that the girls would be cheap to kit out with gear from ebay because of their size, but Charlie is a compact little lump and gear will need some looking out for!!

I was too slow in Aldi/Lidl as they did have some XS gear, but I was not looking for it at the time :(

As you and the others say, eBay looks like the best bet and possibly a carboot, but who has time for those!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts