Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps and chapesses,
Just want an opinion.
Won a horse riding jacket for my wife yesterday; I was bidding for her.
The jacket won at 4.20 plus postage, so very cheap.
Then seller emailed immediately after the closure and said she meant to start it at 9.99 not 99p.
In the email she admitted it was her loss and she accepted it.
Today, there is a refund for the jacket and she emails saying she cannot find it, maybe it went I. A charity bag, saying sorry.

Now, you'll never prove this, but I think she regrets it going for 4.20.

Now, the value is not big, but my annoyance is that surely you're not meant to do this on eBay!

Like I said, I'll never be able to prove it.

What would you do?

Just let it go?
Email her saying you think it is underhanded?
Take it further? We probably won't as it seems so petty for the value.

We're not out of pocket, haven't travelled, so no real loss, it is more the principal.

Answer on a postcard:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
1,781 Posts
I know how you feel...someone offered some car "tech" books on Freecycle recently. I said I was interested (I read anything about engines etc), but heard nothing - sent an email after a few days, still nothing - sent another email after a week or so,only to be told "gone, sorry".
It may have been genuine, but I suspect he also tried to sell the books on eBay ..... Only afterwards did I find that one of the books was going, 2nd-hand on the bay and Amazon, for nearly £50 !
Again, no expenditure, or inconvenience on my part, but it left a bit of a sour taste!

·
Registered
497 Posts
We've all been there, on both sides of the fence. I personally would because it's the principal that's at stake here. She had the duration of the auction to assess her listing and it's progress. Go for it

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps, like a sucker, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, saying that she thinks it has gone to charity.
Now, I need to get on eBay to look for a 'sucker' base ball cap!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Save her as a seller and when she lists things you'll get an e-mail, hopefully she'll relist and you can bid again, or mail her and remind her she lost it!! As said before I've been there and won things at silly cheap money only to be told it's lost or broken and got a refund. If you win it and it's not sent registered claim you never received it and get a full refund, karma me thinks. Not that I would ever do that unless it was deserved and karma was due:thumb:

·
Doh!!!!!
753 Posts
To put it succinctly yes at law you have a binding contract, with an offer from you (auctioneer makes an invitation to treat and you offer) and acceptance. However, for the sake of £4.20 I'd let it go. You are not going to receive the jacket whatever you say and do. Further, you will have spent time and energy over this. I can quite honestly say that whatever their principled stance at the beginning, a lot of litigants wouldn't bother fighting if they had their chance over again, it really does make for a waste of energy and creates anxiety. I am not implying you would even dream of taking legal route btw but merely say from having watched those who fight on principle despite advice.......please don't :hitler::thumbup:

PPS try equestrianclearance.com or butter foal stud

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
no benefit of the doubt, cheeky to say the least if not dishonest outright. I would put a very negative feedback at least......

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
no benefit of the doubt, cheeky to say the least if not dishonest outright. I would put a very negative feedback at least......
Yep, it will be about all you can do as eBay will not be interested once the money has been reimbursed.

Negative feedback is a serious threat to a proper Vendor and is a threat that carries weight, not so sure about private individuals so much. I would leave Neutral feedback at the very least, IF WJ is still able to.

Should have pulled the sale before end of auction if the goods were not available, not leave it until the end.

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm too decent. She did have 100% positive feedback, so I just left a neutral feedback; I want to get into Heaven :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts