Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out a 2 bike Policy with eBike earlier this year, mainly as they were only one of 2 companies who could offer FC on both bikes, one being a grey import. Reasonably happy with price, but the real reason I went with eBike was that they offered 1 yrs Full Euro breakdown cover for a supplement of 50 quid in anticipation of a trip abroad. The Vara is 2005 and the NX4 2003, first registrations.

Move on a few months and I am putting the paperwork together ready to take the NX4 to Spain onthe HISS later this month and going through the docs, it transpires that the Breakdown policy does not cover the NX4, I was not made aware of this at the time of purchase and eBike obviously knew the age of the machine!

So, I called Aria Assist yesterday who provide the cover for eBike and was told that "No, I was not able to upgrade the Policy to take a bike over 10 yers old and in fact, AA policy usually covers only up to 8yr old for Euro cover", in spite of what the terms on MY policy say! I spoke to the Support folks at Aria who told me that I should not have been sold this Policy as it was obviously not applicable to my bikes. The term that was actually used, was that I had been "mis sold the Policy"! Serious stuff.

I emailed eBike on Tuesday morning and told them what had happened and ask what they are going to do about it. I have been sold a Yrs Policy that is totally unsuitable that I would not have gone for, as for a few quid more, I could have got a dedicated Policy covering bikes up to 16yrs old, including one from Aria. I now need to see about arranging suitable Breakdown cover.

Have I heard back from eBike? Have I hell, just the fob of... "**We are currently experiencing unusually high email demand therefore please allow up to 3 working days for a response. Once you have submitted your enquiry there is no need to contact us again as we will respond to all emails we receive.** " Later in the email response it also states a 5 day wait may be experienced!!!

Be warned!!!!!

Phone call tomorrow, not I hasten to add, on their Premium rip off number :-(

Any thoughts and advice when i speak to them please??

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I was aware of the cover limit with ebike but my main bike for euro touring is less than 10yrs old. It is stated in the t's & c's from ebike I remember reading it.
I'm no longer with ebike as they almost doubled my renewal this year. I went back to Bennett's, the price difference was £375 to £144!
Doesn't help with your recovery mate, I don't know any company recovering over ten years old. Best of luck Steve.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was aware of the cover limit with ebike but my main bike for euro touring is less than 10yrs old. It is stated in the t's & c's from ebike I remember reading it.
I'm no longer with ebike as they almost doubled my renewal this year. I went back to Bennett's, the price difference was £375 to £144!
Doesn't help with your recovery mate, I don't know any company recovering over ten years old. Best of luck Steve.
Cheers Jim. My problem, was that I wasn't aware of the 10yr limitation until I read the fine print on the Euro cover that arrived after a week or so later as I recall. I failed to scrutinise it at the time, My Bad! There was no detail available on the eBike site on this aspect of teh cover.

However my concern is that I know I can get hold of cover for the older bike elsewhere, but why should I pay twice when eBike sold me a Policy that cannot actually be used?? :-(

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Let me have the details and I'll take it up with them. But you need to raise a formal complaint with them and tell them you are contacting me. More advice: http://the-zebra.com/got-a-problem/

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks very much for that very kind offer Whealie. Thanks for the link also, it itemise neatly a proper procedure to follow.

I will speak to the Company (if i can get through) and see if I can get any sense from them initially. I will also have a look into their formal complaints procedure.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Later:

Spoke to ebike whom were not surprisingly, uninterested. Their contention is that as one of the bikes was under 10 years old at the time I took out the Policy, they are satisfied that the Policy sold was acceptable in spite of the commenst from Arias Assistance. I queried the lack of sample Policy docs online at the time I was looking at a Policy, the CS operator found a line in the FAQ's area stating:

"How do I add on European Breakdown cover?

This is only available on Comprehensive Standard eBike polices.

The bike needs to be less than 10 years old."

I did not find this at the time I took out the Policy, as if I had I would not have gone any further with it, I do not know when this line, in BOLD, was put up, but I am willing to believe I failed to find it when I looked (the site is pretty awful IMO), I am equally able to believe it might well have been added more recently.....

I think life is too short to argue the toss with them, I will not renew my Policy with them as their manner of doing business stinks WRT requiring email contact and then not actually responding. I'll take out a one trip cover for this trip.

Thanks all for the PM's and the posts here.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote taken straight from their website;

Provided you have purchased European Breakdown Assistance and subject to your vehicle being no more than 10 years old and the breakdown occurs in one of the following countries you will be eligible for help under this extension.

If the vehicle is over ten yrs old, you are not entitled to Euro recovery. The policy will cover your riding the bikes and will pay out fully comp but due to age limitations without recovery.
Never mind, Chris might come up with something but with me finding this on the second page I looked at on their site I reckon they'll simply point him in that direction.
Never mind Steve, it's a Honda! You won't need recovery! ,,,, Oh,,,, that's right, your Varadero was a Honda and it was recovered from Galloway! LOL!
Sorry mate, couldn't resist it! ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you spent a tad more on insurance, with CN their insurance covers uk & European breakdown/recovery for any age bikes to a max of 4 call outs per 12 months of the policy life
They will come out to a 1950's bike
CN maybe a bit dearer but their cover is generally very good

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you spent a tad more on insurance, with CN their insurance covers uk & European breakdown/recovery for any age bikes to a max of 4 call outs per 12 months of the policy life
They will come out to a 1950's bike
CN maybe a bit dearer but their cover is generally very good
They would not provide me with a multibike policy though, I wanted to stay with them.

They insisted I had to have two policies in effect, one for the Vara FC, and one for the NX4 TP,F&T. No Euro breakdown on little un as it was not FC!! :-(

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Quote taken straight from their website;

Provided you have purchased European Breakdown Assistance and subject to your vehicle being no more than 10 years old and the breakdown occurs in one of the following countries you will be eligible for help under this extension.

Never mind Steve, it's a Honda! You won't need recovery! ,,,, Oh,,,, that's right, your Varadero was a Honda and it was recovered from Galloway! LOL!
Sorry mate, couldn't resist it! ;)
I blame Austin for not filling in that DEEP pothole I hit... Nothing to do with 300kg hitting a pothole at 40mph, oh no indeedy! I was attempting to emulate your riding prowess Jim. This is why I want to take the little NX4 to Spain, it has spokes!!! :-D

Worst case scenario, I abandon the NX4 and have to take the pickup back for it when it is fixed, and of course, i will need a rest and need to check the bike over and test ride it properly before starting back with it again.* ;)

I am still not convinced that the eBike FAQ has not been changed since I took out the Policy, as it jumps out readily enough now, but maybe I am being unduly cynical, and in fact eBike have my best interests at heart....?

* Or I buy a one trip Policy for 30 quid.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
They would not provide me with a multibike policy though, I wanted to stay with them.

They insisted I had to have two policies in effect, one for the Vara FC, and one for the NX4 TP,F&T. No Euro breakdown on little un as it was not FC!! :-(
I have a multi bikr with CN. All are now over ten years old and all are F Comp, adding the last one only put the premium up £25:00 so was happy with that. Renawl this year was about £320.

1800 Goldwing 2002, 2 RD07a Africa Twins 2003 and 1996 and a 2001 Honda FTR 223 added last year.

Usually take them go to Europe at least once a year (what about the IOM?).

Seems reasonable to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts