Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a electrical fault on my RD07 AT.
the battery keeps going flat. It's fine when I ride the bike frequently but if not it appears ok then all of a sudden after a couple of days it drops the charge and goes flat.
I have been leaving it on the optimisor/charger for the winter but missed a couple of days by inadvertently unplugging it and within a day the battery is flat and won't charge up again.
I have heard off problems with the regulator but would this cause a battery to repeatedly discharge?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
Check out this thread here...

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/142306-rd04-electrical-issue-seriously-frustrated.html

Don't spend on parts you might not need without doing some basic checks. The Africa Twin is pretty rock solid, and I'm pretty sure a high percentage of faults are due to bad electrical connections due to corrosion or neglect.

In short, it is WELL WORTH checking the master fuse and it's connector, on top of the starter solenoid, in the first instance.

Good Luck

Bob

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Hi, I have a electrical fault on my RD07 AT.
the battery keeps going flat. It's fine when I ride the bike frequently but if not it appears ok then all of a sudden after a couple of days it drops the charge and goes flat.
I have been leaving it on the optimisor/charger for the winter but missed a couple of days by inadvertently unplugging it and within a day the battery is flat and won't charge up again.
I have heard off problems with the regulator but would this cause a battery to repeatedly discharge?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Yes a faulty regulator can drain your battery there's 12 volts on it at all times even with the ignition off if the diodes are breaking down they can leak electricity to earth if you got a multimeter ill be happy to show you how to perform a test for this but it usually is the battery when the weather goes down to freezing :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Id be surprised if a reg discharges a battery as when the motor is running the offending semiconductor would go bang
I've had it happen on an old cb750 and my wifes old Volvo the battery was discharging over a week or two enough to stop it turning the engine over. When i measured the current draw in series with the positive battery terminal there was a few milliamps showing with the ignition off and when the RR was disconnected it dissapeared a new RR fixed it. I will say the batteries on the car and the bike weren't the best and if they were a few milliamps to earth would probably not have caused a problem.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Even at ten milliamps your looking at a month to discharge a typical mcycle battery, there's always a drain. I don't think that's relevant here. It's either not charging (reg) or incapable of holding a charge (battery)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Is the battery still good or not? Charge it, then leave it overnight, unconnected and see if you lose some voltage. If you don't, then install the battery in the bike and fit a multimeter in serie between the batterie and the ground cable. There should be no current passing. If there's current passing, then you have a leak. Somewhere. You will have to identify the source of the leak. Unplug accessories until the current drop stops. If you think the regulator might be the cause, then unplug it. And see what happens.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A charged battery will drop in voltage from its float charge by .5V or more. Much more if your charger doesn't have a float charge. The numbers vary from battery type to battery type. A dead or dying battery won't supply much current and its voltage will drop quickly with the lights on.
On my bench now is a new wet lead acid that my cheapy charger will take to 14.5V. After a day it's at 13.2V.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
From the original post I have gathered that the output voltage across the battery has not been tested.

Maybe the R/R is the culprit? The OP needs to do the following with a multi meter. If your not familiar how to

use one then watch the following tutorial. It's for a car yes...but the voltages are almost identical to your AT.

Having said that...it's very common for the battery being the culprit. :) The age of the battery was never mentioned so

maybe it's old and tired.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would first remove battery and fully charge, leave for 2 hours and with a multi meter check the voltage. Do the same 24 hours later and 24 hours later, this will establish if your battery is good. Then refit and do the ammeter test for a drain. If you find a drain you can then disconnect items (RR, individual fuses) until you find the source

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Even at ten milliamps your looking at a month to discharge a typical mcycle battery, there's always a drain. I don't think that's relevant here. It's either not charging (reg) or incapable of holding a charge (battery)
Your probably right Andy the cold weather always shows up the duff batteries as can be seen by all the my battery is flat posts on here, changed the battery on my car last week for the same reason bloody thing only lasted 6 years :D I was just answering the question that a faulty RR could discharge the battery :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys... Its a new motobatt battery less then 12 months old so I'm sure it's not the battery. It's been a long term problem with the bike. Fine when I ride it frequently but dies if I leave it for two days or more without being on charge.
I'll watch the video. Thanks everyone. I'll try the solutions on Sunday and report back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts