Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just wanted to share some (hopefully) good info.
As it gets colder my battery gets weaker and last Monday I waited 2.5 hours for help to get my bike jump started.
The battery is just 14 months old, so its just 2 months too old for the warranty, really pissed off.
talked to the dealer and he told me that I can bring my bike and will do free inspection of the electrical stuff. I thought then ok I can do it myself probably.

the manual says that the electrical leakage is 0.1 mA max. I removed the negative battery cable and tested it many times, the leakage was 1.07 mA, which is 10 times the max allowed.
After removing fuses one by one, it seems that the clock (last fuse) which has a dedicated fuse uses all the 1.07 mA.
I removed that fuse and now there is no leakage, at least my multimeter can not detect it.
So my bike now without a clock but I hope it will stand the winter better.
that 1.07 is been sucked from the tiny battery continuously.
I am not sure if this will help coz my the battery is already weak, but I hope it will.
I also purchased one of those 12 volt solar chargers, one of these and intend to fit it permanently to the bike.

Its a 650 version.

regards

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Disconnecting the clock may help a little bit, but not much. Any lead / acid battery suffers from "self discharge" which may well be much more than the just over 1 milliamp that you have measured. A fully charged battery if left on the shelf not connected to anything will loose charge. Hence the need to charge the battery on a vehicle that is not used regularly.

I doubt that your clock was the result of your battery problems, it may well be that you just got a "bad" battery. It does happen, unfortunately.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Get the battery load tested and you will know whether the battery is buggered or not but i have to agree with lutin if the cold is affecting your batteries performance its time for a new one.

·
Registered
897 Posts
If the battery is shot, don't just accept that its two months out of warranty. Think you will find if you check with the sale of goods act that an item sold has to give a reasonable service life regardless of warranty's.

Fourteen months is a very poor length of time for a new battery go back and give em a talking too tell them you want it replacing free.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
If the battery is shot, don't just accept that its two months out of warranty. Think you will find if you check with the sale of goods act that an item sold has to give a reasonable service life regardless of warranty's.

Fourteen months is a very poor length of time for a new battery go back and give em a talking too tell them you want it replacing free.

Chris

The OP's in the Netherlands, rules might be different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
So my bike now without a clock but I hope it will stand the winter better.
that 1.07 is been sucked from the tiny battery continuously.
I am not sure if this will help coz my the battery is already weak, but I hope it will.
Assuming it is a 10Ah battery, a 1mA current drain would, in theory, take 10,000 hours to drain the battery. That's 416 days. In reality, the battery's self-discharge rate is far bigger than this so disconnecting your clock won't make any appreciable difference whatsoever. Get a decent AGM battery like a Yuasa YTZ12S or a Motobatt rather than a cheap bargain brand MF battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming it is a 10Ah battery, a 1mA current drain would, in theory, take 10,000 hours to drain the battery. That's 416 days. In reality, the battery's self-discharge rate is far bigger than this so disconnecting your clock won't make any appreciable difference whatsoever. Get a decent AGM battery like a Yuasa YTZ12S or a Motobatt rather than a cheap bargain brand MF battery.
Yep, that's true, but I left the bike parked in the airport for 16 days. I must admit that the battery is cheapo stuff, cost about 35 Euro :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's strange, just double checked it, the Haynes say 0.1 mA, chapter 9,page 9 which is 1/100 times the 10 mA :confused:

Just checked my Honda service manual for the XL650 (now that I'm awake) and Honda give the current leakage as 10mA, which is nearly ten times more than what you measured.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I checked tha cigarette socket and found that there is a connection between the - and the +.
the socket has no current when the motor is off, checked it while motor was off, and fount a very low resistance between the two poles, sounds not right!
so I took it off the bike.

so, but it did not blow up a fuse or so, but could this be normal when motor is off?
does the electrical stuff all get connected to the -/earth when the motor is off?

cheers and many thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Ok, I checked tha cigarette socket and found that there is a connection between the - and the +.
the socket has no current when the motor is off, checked it while motor was off, and fount a very low resistance between the two poles, sounds not right!
so I took it off the bike.

so, but it did not blow up a fuse or so, but could this be normal when motor is off?
does the electrical stuff all get connected to the -/earth when the motor is off?

cheers and many thanks for the replies.
All electrics are earthed, as the bike is switched off the only thing that should give a reading is the earth. bulbs have a resistance so will give a reading, unless there is something connected to the accessory socket there should not be a reading.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Just checked my Honda service manual for the XL650 (now that I'm awake) and Honda give the current leakage as 10mA, which is nearly ten times more than what you measured.
it actually states 1.0 mA

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Grrrrr.

this morning, guess what, no go. the bike tried but the bat. has not much power to start the bike. will go to the dealer and see what he can offer, hopefully a compensation for a new bat..

cheers to all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts