Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mosfet rec/reg fitted with the 30a fuse etc and all runs fine.

I had left the bike for a while and the battery ran flat - just not enough juice to turn over.

Got the bike running off the jump leads and then noticed the battery fluid was low. Topped up with cold boiled water and that was ok.

However, battery was showing only 11.5v over terminals and then this started reducing down to 9.4 when I turned the bike off.

Inspected the fuse and there were 2 main concerns. First, on the battery side it was all melted and second the fuse had not blown.

Any ideas? I need to get a new fuse holder so it wont be going anywhere for a few days.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Topping up the battery with tap water (boiled or not) will do your battery no good - new one required. The minerals in the water screw up the battery chemistry good and proper. Hence the need for distilled (or de-ionized) water.

The melted fuse holder terminal could be down to a poor joint giving a high resistance and hence heating.

Also, where did you get the fuse from? There are reports of cheap ebay fuses not blowing at the stated (rated) current.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Topping up the battery with tap water (boiled or not) will do your battery no good - new one required. The minerals in the water screw up the battery chemistry good and proper. Hence the need for distilled (or de-ionized) water.

The melted fuse holder terminal could be down to a poor joint giving a high resistance and hence heating.

Also, where did you get the fuse from? There are reports of cheap ebay fuses not blowing at the stated (rated) current.
Ok - will keep eye on the battery - replace if it fails.
Fuse holder was a 2 part item and not a waterproof one - will get a better one.
Fuse was from local general store (they do a bit of everything) in a pack with other sizes. Will Halfrauds be ok?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Ok - will keep eye on the battery - replace if it fails.
Fuse holder was a 2 part item and not a waterproof one - will get a better one.
Fuse was from local general store (they do a bit of everything) in a pack with other sizes. Will Halfrauds be ok?
From your description the battery seems to have failed already. It has to be optimum when you take any voltage outputs
across your battery. Yes, waterproof blade type fuses are best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts