Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a strange one..........

Both dipped beams have stopped working (main beam still works on both)- checked the bulbs - they're both fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I'm not doing anything with it until tomorrow.

I'll probably trace the wires back and make sure everythings connected, check continuity on the wiring to them, then open up the switch and check that - beyond that I'm stumped.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
This is a strange one..........

Both dipped beams have stopped working (main beam still works on both)- checked the bulbs - they're both fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I'm not doing anything with it until tomorrow.

I'll probably trace the wires back and make sure everythings connected, check continuity on the wiring to them, then open up the switch and check that - beyond that I'm stumped.
I would think the switch or any of the single connections up to the cable split must be the problem. Both lights have their own relay (both inside the top fairing, one on each side. They are similar looking to the single indicator relay)so trace the wires back from those until they meet and look between there and the light switch.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
I'd look at the relay first.

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmmm, not got my Haynes to hand, but I seem to remember that there are indeed 2 relays - that would make me go for the switch as both relay's going duff at exactly the same time would be a bit of a long-shot. I'll try and locate my wiring diagram and have a better look............

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Just dug out my manual, there are 2 relays - but its one each for dip and main, not one for each lamp - D'oh!

So that kinda makes it the switch or the wiring between it and the relay and the lamps.........

Haynes have very thoughtfully neglected to put a key on the diagrams so I'm guessing at colours and earths, but each of the relays share a common earth (green?) and are fed from a comon fuse (B) on a green/white lead so if the main are working then the feed and earth for both realys should be OK, leaving you with the 'trigger' side of the dip realy and the switch to check out................

I LOVE electrics, me.........

·
Registered
170 Posts
PM sent about the HID kit

R

by the way, as above I would suggest looking at the relays, use a good multi meter to test through each of the two :p

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've managed to get Annettes lights working - veeeerrryy strange.

Out of 8 bulbs - managed to find two that worked when installed.

All 8 bulbs passed the continuity test - but when mounted and tested on the bike only 2 illuminated.........:confused:

I checked the wiring, the relays, the switch and the connector blocks - all to no avail............but heyho they are now working so I will leave well alone.

I've ordered a couple of HID kits for both our @'s so that will finally solve the mystery when I get round to installing them.

Thanks for all your advice & suggestions

·
Registered
170 Posts
Stormforce

Another PM sent, call me at home anytome :p

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stormforce

Another PM sent, call me at home anytome :p
Cheers Richard - I'll give you a call when they arrive.

PM's received - great stuff.

Speak soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts