Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'Houston, we have a problem......!' (We've had a main B bus undervolt.' (Whatever that means!!!)

Ummm... Eloisa has a knock... A BIG Bad one... (And as you all know thats about as Tecky as I get!) Very Audiable at low speeds (Dahhh!), seems to be coming from low middle rear area... I haven't noticed any performance change though... but the noise does appear to be getting worse...

Started after loading her up fully for a little Jolly, shed loads of weight on...

I'm really hoping its not that Spindle Gear Lever Chain Thingy.... I know its very vague, but I took her into my local garage where the machanic guy took her for a quick ride and did a quick look over her, he couldn't find anything obviosuly wrong, though he could hear the noise... (So at least the wheels not about to drop off, I hope!)

Help... :confused: Any Pointers Folks?

Got the HU gig next week to :(

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Hope its not too serious - no idea what it could be tho - try the long screwdriver test to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from on the engine (plastic handle against your ear and metal bit touching the engine).

Ant.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope its not too serious - no idea what it could be tho - try the long screwdriver test to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from on the engine (plastic handle against your ear and metal bit touching the engine).Ant.
Cheers Ant... But this might course a few issues, I forgot to mention the noise only seems to eminate when shes moving... :rolleyes:

Anyone know if Seb Coe is a member of the Forum... ;)

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
...snip Started after loading her up fully for a little Jolly, shed loads of weight on... ...snip
Now you know I'm a complete wotsit in the mechanicals department, so be gentle with me...
but doesn't that have the same effect as dramatically shortening the chain? :confused:

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Sorry Fletch - completely forgot to say:
Hi! :D
and
Man, that's a bummer, hope it works out ok dude :)

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you know I'm a complete wotsit in the mechanicals department, so be gentle with me...
but doesn't that have the same effect as dramatically shortening the chain? :confused:
Think so dude... Thats why I'm worried about the Spindly thingy... Just want someone to say.... Oh no it couldn't possibly be that stop being a muppet!... :p (there not gonna though :( )

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
pm'ing you

G

·
is the chain too loose? I had a knocking noise which seemed to be coming from directly beneath me when riding but only when throttling on. i started to really worry with it only happening when it did i was sure it was output or something. Then noticed it was just the chain was really really loose:tool:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
have you got a centre stand?
if you have, have you tried running her in gear whilst on the stand,making sure you have some weight on the front to keep it down?
you can listen all round the bike and identify where its coming from.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I also had a problem from a worn chain doing this I guess that a couple of the links were seized and it was jumping off the front sprocket making the noise.

If you pull the clutch in when riding does it stay the same or get less?
Does it increase with revs?

This would be one way of seeing if its the running gear or the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Fletch

The knocking is there only when you are moving?

Does the pitch alter, when the engine is pulling at different revs?

Does the pitch alter/disappear if you are moving then pull the clutch in and coast?

I'm trying to determine whether it is something through the driveline, or something like the clutch or (unlikely) big/small ends.

Did you whip the cover off the front sprocket and check its OK and the retaining plate and nut are still in place?

Bob

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jezz people.... Thanx for all the responses...

Working away at the moment, back this evening when I'll go through a load of the stuff/ideas above...

Cheers folks :D

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
May sound daft but make sure the rubber on your swingarm that guides the chain has not vacated aswell.
Sounds chain based like the people say you would pick up on bearing failure in the clutch they tend to knock then aswell or mine does bloody vara does too.
My god Ive got 2 knockers to play with:eek:ccasion2:

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK... The Bloody weather stalled my attempts to look see, do diogs... And I'm working away again until Wednesday, so not gonna get a chance to look before I take her to the HU meet on Thursday... (Only 100 miles for me :rolleyes: )

RAC memebership checked, but if anyone see me stranded on the M1 going up on Thursday, don't forget to wave :D

Thanx people

1 - 17 of 17 Posts