Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be moving house soon and would like to keep my existing email address. I contacted my ISP (Pipex) whom I’m quite happy with and with whom I intend to stay with and spoke to a couple of geezers about this who both seemed pretty clueless about this but who both vaguely mentioned it might be possible if I ‘personalized’ my email address.

Could anyone enlighten me here?

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I think the're talking about domains.
I.e. if you buy a domain www.miggy.com you could have the email address [email protected] and transport it with you anywhere.
Doesn't matter what ISP you use.

However it should be possible to do what you want, although the timing of it will be tricky as you need to stop your old line and request a new one, which involves BT assuming its ADSL and that's then the kiss of death as any number of things can happen.
You could request the new line before you move in if the current owners will let you? That way it would be easier.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Dave.

I've been looking into your suggestion and it seems a likely option tho' I find it a bit confusing.

I don't know where I'll be moving to yet, and almost certainly won't have time to arrange things in advance. Basically I'll be letting out my place and moving further south nearer my work.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
If you're staying with Pipex I can't see why they wouldn't. It's still going to be the same account.

Think it might be worth a "Can I speak to a Manager please?" :wink:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm under the impression that it would be technically impossible for me to retain my email address etc?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
If you were moving to another ISP then yes but seeing as you're not it seems to me they're talking out of their 'exhaust'. :wink:

Easier to feck you about than do some work.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
chronyx said:
If you were moving to another ISP then yes but seeing as you're not it seems to me they're talking out of their 'exhaust'. :wink:

Easier to feck you about than do some work.
Yes I agree, they should have a process for this. People move all of the time and if you're happy with an ISP then you should be able to retain your details. I think BT make this difficult though from what I remember is the process.

Hey here's an idea. Ask them if you can migrate your account to a dial-up account whilst you get sorted. Then you can convert it back to ADSL as and when you get sorted.

Alternativley get a decent ISP, where you can speak to real people 24/7 at no extra charge. e.g. www.merula.net
They would sort this out for you no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts