Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT the bike chaps........

I've got the cab in bits outside......one headlamp flickering etc..

I've found the fault....Livingstone's emission monkies...:rolleyes:

Loom worn through in an unreachable place has gone through the earth wire to the headlamp....

QUESTION; Are all those black wires grouped together in their own little loom earths...If they are could I crimp the detached wire to the next door earth...they all seem about the same guage...

OR...would I be safer for now to just take an earth from a nearby wing fastening bolt for now.....no risk of overloading a wire in the loom......

Did I just answer my own question.........?

I'd still appreciate any expert advice..........I need to get to work.....:(

Thanks, Kevin.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Loom worn through in an unreachable place has gone through the earth wire to the headlamp....

QUESTION; Are all those black wires grouped together in their own little loom earths...If they are could I crimp the detached wire to the next door earth...they all seem about the same guage...

OR...would I be safer for now to just take an earth from a nearby wing fastening bolt for now.....no risk of overloading a wire in the loom......
Answer: Thats what they all do anyway! Most earth wires are drawn to dedicated "Earth bolts" anyway, and the battery usually also have the (-) connected to the chassie through a bolt, using the steel chassie as one big neutral. Just make sure your wire do get contact with bare steel, otherwise the current will not flow.

//Good luck with work!

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chaps......just went out when the rain stopped with torch and specs......I can see a few inches from where the loom has worn through that there is indeed a dedicated earth fastener.....just need to take off the power steering reservoir and fuel filter and I can reach it.....:(.......Not today though.....rigged a temp earth for now...I have Headlamps again.

It was getting a bit hairy out there...people thought I was flashing the lights to let them out of turning etc ...then I realised what was happening...:confused:

Just got clip on the mesh and the snow plough to get through the demonstraters and I'm away........:angel9:

G20 ?......'kem! Power to the Peeps....;)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thanks Chaps......just went out when the rain stopped with torch and specs......I can see a few inches from where the loom has worn through that there is indeed a dedicated earth fastener.....just need to take off the power steering reservoir and fuel filter and I can reach it.....:(.......Not today though.....rigged a temp earth for now...I have Headlamps again.

It was getting a bit hairy out there...people thought I was flashing the lights to let them out of turning etc ...then I realised what was happening...:confused:

Just got clip on the mesh and the snow plough to get through the demonstraters and I'm away........:angel9:

G20 ?......'kem! Power to the Peeps....;)
Any cable bolted directly to the chasis will act as an earth as all earths go directly back to the battery anyway. If you look at your battery neutral you should find it's either sealed or bolted to the chasis

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Sorry mate, just in! My Landrover discovery did the same, find the earth to the headlight (3 wires, beam, dip and earth)and wire it directly to an earth on the front panel or inner wing, this should act as a permenant fix.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fella's all done....I'll have to make proper job of it soon though...We have a body call the Public Carriage Office who make the Gestapo seem lenient.........They'd fail it on it's next inspection if they wire attached to the bolt...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks fella's all done....I'll have to make proper job of it soon though...We have a body call the Public Carriage Office who make the Gestapo seem lenient.........They'd fail it on it's next inspection if they wire attached to the bolt...:rolleyes:

Or the rear ashtrays are missing !!...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts