Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings fellow dommie enthusiasts. I'd be grateful for some expert input on this question. My '99 dommie has not been started for several months. There is ample oil in the engine, but the top oil tank is bone dry. (Oil check valve isn't working as it should?) Is it okay to start the bike when there's no oil in the frame resevoir?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Personally I cannot see why not, so long as the pump recircs and feeds back to the tank you'll be OK. You will know in a few mins so just let it tick over before revving.
For your piece of mind, you could loosen the feed to the head to ensure you are getting oil there = crucial, and it'll soon appear in the reservoir if the pump is good.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Might be worth putting a little oil in just to be sure and maybe remove the rocker cover caps and squirt some oil around the camshaft. After leaving the bike for months I've experienced some clutch judder and slip where the clutch plates have dried out but if all the oil has drained from the frame to the engine on yours you may not experience that

·
Registered
147 Posts
I wouldn't if it were me, put some in the frame till it registers on dip stick at least IMHO, and then only for a few mins

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for your input chaps.
I had a brain wave today, I opened the crankcase oil check bolt and let the excess drain out into a measuring jug. 700ml in total. I'll pour it into the upper reservoir before attempting to start her up. I'll crack open the head oil feed banjo bolt to make sure the pump is working. Fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts