Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
can any one tell me if GIVI engine bars on a 08 vara are a hinderance for serviceing, example valve clearances, ive read engine bars not a good idea on BMW GS as they have to come off for valve clearances, so more time more labour charge, just wondered if same for vara, im only on 6,500 miles at moment and was wanting to fit some prefer the GIVI ones,
nelly :thumbright:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nelly,

I Would recommend the Givi bars, Tested them out yesterday on my 07 Vary.
The damage that would have been done with out the engine bars would have well out stripped the addition cost when servicing.
Dropped from stand still on to gravel, marked the engine bars, scrapped the handguard and minor scrap on topbox.
All superficial and easily fixed maybe I got lucky

The up shot is the trade off of additional servicing costs against damage.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Hi to all,
can any one tell me if GIVI engine bars on a 08 vara are a hinderance for serviceing, example valve clearances, ive read engine bars not a good idea on BMW GS as they have to come off for valve clearances, so more time more labour charge, just wondered if same for vara, im only on 6,500 miles at moment and was wanting to fit some prefer the GIVI ones,
nelly :thumbright:
GIVI 08 bars should not hamper servicing however the garage is out to make money they will use it as an excuse to put another hour on the bill.
My suggestion is fit them, its fairly easy, and remove them for the service,

*****personal note, not a recommendation*****
I asked my Honda mechanic about the valves and he whispered "I've never had to adjust varadero valves" I didn't even have mine checked, I'll wait till it comes around next time.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
The Givi ones make no difference whatsoever to the servicing. On the 03-06 bike you wouldn't even know they are there and on the 07 onward bikes there is sometimes a little faffing about to get one of the bolts into the bashplate but at most that would add about 5 minutes to the job.

And they work.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
:D :D :D :D

I cant stop playing the part where he does the JUDO ROOL,

(I know theres somting wrong with me)

have to show this to my youngfella,he has a judo match this Sunday :eek:

Glad there was no harm done,:thumbup:

came round a bend last saturday, and front wheele on the vara hit soft margin,
she went from under me, managed somehow to kinda jump over the bike!?!?!?

Thank GIVI for engine bars I had fitted 2 weeks before.

(HAD THEM SINCE CHRISTMAS WAITING TO BE FITTED :banghead:)

Thanks,

Tony.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I must find a better way of parking the bike ;)
Mind you I was glad Boris was there to help me lift the bike back up.

I do not know where the roll came from but it worked, aches or pains.

Only pride was hurt

·
Registered
305 Posts
GIVI 08 bars should not hamper servicing however the garage is out to make money they will use it as an excuse to put another hour on the bill.
My suggestion is fit them, its fairly easy, and remove them for the service,

*****personal note, not a recommendation*****
I asked my Honda mechanic about the valves and he whispered "I've never had to adjust varadero valves" I didn't even have mine checked, I'll wait till it comes around next time.
Just been through the same with a 700 Alp - removed the bars prior to the service based on the "if we do need to remove them its just the labour sir" quote. Too 20 mins and prob saved £50 :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mr Boris

Nearly had a heart attack when you said been there got the vid.

Poor guy in the video but thought it was my baby! lol :D

Its is so easily done. A friend of mine had a Vara and did almost the same thing. Crash bars saved the bike. (oh and his leg of course)

Later!

Keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, rev tony
dont mind me asking, but lookin at your pics, wondered what brand and type your tyres were on your vara, :thumbleft:
cheers !

·
Senior Moment
51 Posts
I can indeed confirm the SW Motech bars along with honda pannier racks stop a lot of damage when you decide to drop it at a T junction :( - less than 6 months old! What a numpty I am. Big thanks to the dude on the Harley who helped me pick it up (see, it's not true what they say :p)

They are rather heavy when horizontal. Yeah, they are.

It was zero MPH stall in the wrong gear with a missed footing and a full tank - got scratches on crash bars and pannier rack a bit and back of the RHS mirror, but NOWHERE ELSE! :thumbright: The bars look OK with Hammerite smoothrite satin black - second time I have used the tin of paint in 6 years... had motech bars on me transalp too.

I am so glad I got them on... anyone who hasn't please do - all that plastic and radiator.... well worth it IMHO.:nike:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got the Givi ones on my 2010 Vara and love the way they look. I had bars on my AT as well and I dropped the poor thing three times at 0 kph. Never scratched anything but the bars. I wouldn't think twice about mounting bars or similar protection - no matter what type of bike. Being able to repaint or remount cheap bits instead of expensive OEM plastics is worth everything :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I take it the Givis are the best ones are they??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts