Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here and have recently bought a 1997 Dominator in relatively original condition. I've just been sorting our a few bits before I'm going to strip it down and build a scrambler around it.

It has started making this loud tapping / clicking sound that can only be described as sounding like a typewriter. It is only really on low revs, and it sounds like it is in time with the engine rhythm but it's hard to tell.

The valve clearance was checked recently I'm told but I will check that again.

Check out the video here and see what you think:

Thanks in advanced and I look forwards to getting involved in this forum over the next few months!

https://youtu.be/-DF4E5mL9Bk

Stucks

P.S. I'm loving the colour scheme of this original dommy body ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm no expert but sounds like timing chain or tensioner problem, someone with more knowledge than me may be able to help you, hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that you can't adjust the tension as it is on a spring and auto adjusts.

Is this something I can check with the engine in situ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes it is self adjusting but spring can weaken or break. I googled your problem and on advrider.com i found nx650 is it the cam chain and if so? they have discuss similar noises to yours and explain how to check tensioner. Sorry don't know how to put a link up.
Regards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great - thanks, I'll check it out.

In general, if it is a loose cam chain, is it not a good idea to ride it until it's fixed? Or ok to ride as long as I fix it soon?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was quite noisy i'd look into more before i used it, does't look to difficult to check tensioner maybe you'l get some replies tonight might be more informed than me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bike sounds good apart from that odd noise

I am no expert at all, but, to me that sounds like a loose tappet and not cam chain - just mho

Perhaps a long screwdriver to the ear might help ?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Could be something to do with the auto decompressor it operates the right hand exhaust valve ( as your sat on the bike ). you can check the cam chain tensioner and auto decompressor with the engine in the frame but its not easy getting the rocker cover off until you've done it once

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked valve timings just now, they all seemed to be set a bit tight, couldnt get the feeler in there. I set then to .10 and .12 but i cant test it as the cap on the left side crank case that you take off to rotate the flywheel basically disintergrated in my hands. So ill need to sorce a new one from somewhere..!

also i thought no oil should come out from that hole when you take the cap off but about half a qrt came out. Is that right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would say, no, no oil should come out if that hole and it didn't when i did my valves last year

Weird

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very weird. Could it be as I was doing all this on the side stand and it’s supposed to be upright?

I’m also reading in the manual that “special care must be taking when doing he front right exhaust valve. The half decompressor slightly lifts the valve when the crankshaft is before position TDC therefore it is necessary to position the crankshaft where there is no valve lift in order to obtain the correct clearance.”

Does this mean that this valve should not be done at TDC? I’m not really following the wording of what it’s getting at... can anyone translate? Haha

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thars correct, it should not be done at TDC, a little way past so the decompresser has no effect
I did mine last year but all rusty now exactly how I did it
Will have to do my exhaust again soon as I had to set them a little too wide due to crap feelers
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon with guidance

·
Registered
47 Posts
This guy explains it well.

Wait a minute;

This guy marks the ACTUAL T letter instead of the line in front of the T letter????

Is that the same for nx650??

because all this time i've been lining up the line IN FRONT of the T letter with the outer notch instead of the ACTUAL T letter.

WTF??

·
Registered
44 Posts
The T letter is the top dead center, where You should adjusting Your valves. It's especially important at the right exhaust valve with the decompression system that You are exactly at top dead center.
You can remove the decompression system from the camshaft. It is not needed, starter will turn it over anyway, and that might be the reason for Your "funny" sound.

·
Registered
147 Posts
VALVE CLEARANCE DESTRUCTIONS.jpg

I cant remember where I read it but I recall on the RH exhaust you need to go past TDC wait for a click ?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I cant remember where I read it but I recall on the RH exhaust you need to go past TDC wait for a click ?
Sometimes you do sometimes you don't, I get it to TDC then feel for play in all the rocker arms if the exhaust valve with the decompressor on has movement i check it if it doesn't i rotate the crank a bit more until it does sometimes you have to turn it to TDC again. If you cant get any free play in the rocker it may be worth backing the adjustment off until you do and then set the clearance. I would then rotate the crank to TDC a few times and check the clearance to make sure the auto decompressor wasn't on when you backed off the adjustment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sometimes you do sometimes you don't, I get it to TDC then feel for play in all the rocker arms if the exhaust valve with the decompressor on has movement i check it if it doesn't i rotate the crank a bit more until it does sometimes you have to turn it to TDC again. If you cant get any free play in the rocker it may be worth backing the adjustment off until you do and then set the clearance. I would then rotate the crank to TDC a few times and check the clearance to make sure the auto decompressor wasn't on when you backed off the adjustment
Solid explanation. Thanks. It seems quite hard to explain and more like you have to feel it for yourself!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a '93 domi, which seams to did 35km in last two years. It has a special noise, when deccel from 3k to 2k rpm. I tought, it was the decomp. The sound like a sound of good bike rear hub when you pull the bike. Thinner like this one. New 10w40 oil, 20-50km and the noise lessen and gone.
One can hear the sound of decomp. click when the engine stops. Maybe the sound recording/playing, but this one sound to different to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts