Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny noise coming from clutch side. Hard to describe noise but someone told me the clutch bearing. Took casing off and the basket and bearing looks and feels fine. I notice the oil pump chain seems very slack. Is this supposed to be like this ?
Regards,
Tim.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Checked out link and it seem to be quite normal for the oil pump chain to be slack. The noise does seem to be coming from the sprocket side as if the chain is out of alignment and is jumping / thumping back onto the drive sprocket. Checked both sprockets and there is no wear on either and no fine bits of metal in the grease. The drive sprocket shaft is not worn. I did fit a new guide rubber on top of the swinging arm, when the bike was in Cape Town 3 months ago. Cannot think how I could have fitted t wrong as it only goes one way !! Does make me think if Cape Town Honda gave me the correct rubber as they are renown for supplying wrong parts.
The noise doesn't sound like crank bearings. The bile has only done about 40K and I have had it 16 years and always kept it well serviced and used good oil and filters.
Any other ideas ?
Regards,
Tim.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you hear the noise when the bike is idling in neutral? If so, try pulling in your clutch lever and see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away, it is probably the all to common clutch basket rattle.

I had a concern when I first got my AT (used bike) and quickly discovered that this is very common and is coming from the clutch basket design that Honda used in these V-twins. No cause for concern if that is what you are hearing, as many people have this noise and never have an issue. Me included...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you hear the noise when the bike is idling in neutral? If so, try pulling in your clutch lever and see if the noise goes away. <snip>
Good point :thumbup:.

Tim, you seem to be changing sides somewhat? ... ;). In your first message, you wrote, "Funny noise coming from clutch side". But in your last, you write, "The noise does seem to be coming from the sprocket side ..."

Which leaves me a tad confused ... :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not really a ' Rattle '. Hard to describe. I now can't remember if it does it when it is in gear or not in gear and also if it only does it when moving. Forget full me...
Going to put it back together Saturday and remind myself what the noise is. No rush at the moment as I am still waiting for MHRC to send the NOVA certificate through. Then an MOT, then reg' number tax and insurance. Anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful to hear them. If not, then I'll let you know after Saturday. Cheers to you for the info'.
Regards,
Tim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts