Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all..

I don't have access to all the expensive and fancy compression testers I used to at my old (stealer)ship so i've bought myself a Motrax Compression tester. About £30 or something.

Anyway.. I'm diagnosing my AT's lack of power and the testers gives me 150 psi in both cylinders.. It doesnt increase with oil in. The vavles are in spec.

Now, the Haynes manual saying 157-213 psi meaning that im way down on compression.

I'm dubious over the my guage and/or the Haynes figures. 150 is usually pretty dam healthy in any engine (especially a low tuned bike like the XRV)

Have any of you measured the compression on your HEALTHY engines ???

I'd be very keen to hear your readings before I trot off in search of a leak down tester.

Many thanks in advance.

Ted

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, i know its an old post but here goes, i got the same compression readings of about 150psi, the engine runs great, and i also thought that for such a bike 150psi is pretty healthy, i was surprised when i read the haynes manual, what ended up happening with your bike ?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hey all..

I don't have access to all the expensive and fancy compression testers I used to at my old (stealer)ship so i've bought myself a Motrax Compression tester. About £30 or something.

Anyway.. I'm diagnosing my AT's lack of power and the testers gives me 150 psi in both cylinders.. It doesnt increase with oil in. The vavles are in spec.

Now, the Haynes manual saying 157-213 psi meaning that im way down on compression.

I'm dubious over the my guage and/or the Haynes figures. 150 is usually pretty dam healthy in any engine (especially a low tuned bike like the XRV)

Have any of you measured the compression on your HEALTHY engines ???

I'd be very keen to hear your readings before I trot off in search of a leak down tester.

Many thanks in advance.

Ted
Ted...Is your motor using an abnormal amount of oil? Smoking? Hard to start? What's your milage? Checked the carbs...air filter..etc..Engine should be warm when doing a compression test...so just after you shut-down.

During the time I worked on piston aircraft for a living we used to carry out scheduled differential cylinder pressure tests that would give you a leak down rate so that you could narrow it down to rings or valves. Air hissing out the exhaust was obviously an exhaust valve...etc
Cylinders Test Equipment from Aircraft Spruce

A good bike shop should have such a tester for a leak down if your that concerned.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ted...Is your motor using an abnormal amount of oil? Smoking? Hard to start? What's your milage? Checked the carbs...air filter..etc..Engine should be warm when doing a compression test...so just after you shut-down.

During the time I worked on piston aircraft for a living we used to carry out scheduled differential cylinder pressure tests that would give you a leak down rate so that you could narrow it down to rings or valves. Air hissing out the exhaust was obviously an exhaust valve...etc
Cylinders Test Equipment from Aircraft Spruce

A good bike shop should have such a tester for a leak down if your that concerned.
Well, bike has great power and wasnt burning any oil.. I ended up selling it a few months ago to fund a trans africa trip...

Hence why im replying to this while sitting in an Internet Cafe in Ethiopia with my DRZ400 outside.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well, bike has great power and wasnt burning any oil.. I ended up selling it a few months ago to fund a trans africa trip...

Hence why im replying to this while sitting in an Internet Cafe in Ethiopia with my DRZ400 outside.
Well good on ya!!! That's one less gas guzzling cylinder to worry about....and easier to pick up in the sand when you go down. Have a safe fun trip. :thumbright:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts