Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last summer I had some sort of engine failure with my AT (weird noise from the lower part of the engine). At least some bearing failure with the clutch has been solved.
Anyway I am afraid that this is not the main reason for the sound.. I have't put the engine back to one piece yet and tried it.

Now I have an opportunity to buy low milage RD04 engine.
Do You know is there any major differences between those two engines?

BR,
-Isku

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
RD04 engine is a bit more vibey and less fuel efficient

As Kitped said the wiring is different, different coil packs too

It would be easier to have the engine rebuilt with parts from the RD04 as some may be the same or just get the 07a engine rebuilt - either way the cost might work out the same so if it was my decision I'd get the 07a one done and not try to fit an RD04 engine in

They will both have RD04 stamped on the side of the engine cases but are different

·
Registered
130 Posts
from what i know the engines(04/07/07a) are the same, no modifications made by Honda
except the ignition system and the carburretor to make it more eco-fuel consumption friendly
Yet, there are some engines with different camshafts for some EU countries meaning lower HP, one of my friends ended up with one

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you really want to see the differences all you need to do is to look at the 2 wiring diagrams in the Haynes.

-4 HT coils vs 2 on the RD07A
-Throttle position sensor
-a '91 RD04 has 2 pulse generator coils vs 1 on the Rd07A
-and the above are all tied into the ICU

All doable I suppose...but you may need some wiring skills.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RD04 engine is a bit more vibey and less fuel efficient

As Kitped said the wiring is different, different coil packs too

It would be easier to have the engine rebuilt with parts from the RD04 as some may be the same or just get the 07a engine rebuilt - either way the cost might work out the same so if it was my decision I'd get the 07a one done and not try to fit an RD04 engine in

They will both have RD04 stamped on the side of the engine cases but are different
How many kilometres with one litre, for the RD04.
Please help - my bike is having many problems, here's my WhatsApp +255 718 878 059

1 - 9 of 9 Posts