Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s one for ye,

So I was cursing at 120kph and then the engine cut out, it was exactly like I hit the kill switch. The engine died instantly.

I tough it was the CDI but there two of them and if you loose one you loose only one cylinder not two.
Possibly both of the CDIs blew at the same time but I have never herd of this happening.

I had my bike picked up and dropped back to my garage but I was running late for work, I quickly pulled the rear side spark plug and there was no spark..

I will check more later including CDIs as I have spares

Any ideas ?

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
first thing is to check kill switch , . side stand switch , clutch lever switch etc if you have them , do not always assume the worst , I assume you stil have power to the lights etc,

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
30A fuse and connectors

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night I tried to start it again when the engine was cold but it didn’t start, the lights are on and engine is turning, just no spark.

First I changed the two CDIs with my spare ones and that made no difference.

So I opened the kill switch and it looked clean and in good condition, next I separated the kill switch block connecter, everything there was ok.

I disconnected the fuel pump lines to check the pump, that was working, also the pump is new.

I disconnected the pickup coil block connecter and that was clean, nothing unusual, I also checked the wires with ohm meter and it was showing about 440 and 425.
Also I inspected the pickup coil cable from top to bottom incase it was damaged, but all was ok.

After all this i pressed the start button and it fired up like normal.
I couldn’t leave it running because of the noise at night,
I think there’s a bad connection or wire so next time I’m in the garage il keep the bike running and then check over everything again and see what kills the Bike.

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just a thought / suggestion
Pulse Generator old / giving up / heat soak etc ?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I started the bike and checked all the connections again, wiggled all the wires etc.
Nothing made the bike turn off so unfortunately I can’t say what the problem was.

Possibly it was the connection inside the kill switch but maybe not..

Now the bikes back in one pice and apparently running 100% :)
If it happens again and I find the source of the problem il post back here .

Thanks guys for all your suggestions

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
We had a KTM 950 die on us when doing the Stella. All the patrs were OK all the connectors were ok, all the switches stripped and they were ok. It turned out to be a broken wire inside the loom that was cable tied were the head stock met the top tube under the tank

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had a KTM 950 die on us when doing the Stella. All the patrs were OK all the connectors were ok, all the switches stripped and they were ok. It turned out to be a broken wire inside the loom that was cable tied were the head stock met the top tube under the tank
I hope that’s not my problem but it’s possible.
I was shaking the loom also and the Bike kept running.

Il just have to wait and see if it happens again.

89 HRC Africa Twin 650

1 - 8 of 8 Posts