Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any exploded diagrams of the engine internals, there is a tapping/knocking noise when the engine runs cold, just wondering what it might be before i strip it down.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
213 Posts
Top End? Bottom End?
Use a long metal tube to listen to the engine - place aginst engine surface in various places - gives a good indication of source.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You'll never really know till you strip it. The Dominator I had 15 years ago had such a noise and it turned out to be a chunk broken off the piston (the land between the top & second rings). Probably due to neglected oil changes.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Top end, thinking it might be cam chain if it has one, its coming from left side of the engine

·
Registered
742 Posts
Have you checked the valve clearances?
If its top end its not good, the cam runs in the head and if its been run low on oil or neglected then the top end suffers badly.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The cam runs in bearings on the RFVC engines. There is a plain bearing in the middle but it doesn't do anything, heads have been recovered by pocket milling the damaged centre bearing away and just running on the two ballraces.
Knocking on the left is most likely to be piston slap, or my own personal bugbear the small end - nobody seems to talk about the small end on these engines but IMHO it is this which is the weakest point, not the head/cam arrangement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey all!
Recently bought a 1988 Dominator with 35k km on the clock. It's generally in good condition. Drove it a couple of hundred km home through rainy weather after buying it. It ran fine, albeit stalling in 5th gear at 130kmh a couple of times. I could easily start it again, no vacuum in the tank, so I accounted it to stale gasoline. It started running unstable, "missing beats" near the end of the ride. I got a look at the bike and saw some oil from the oilfilter gasket. Ordered new oil, filter and O-ring. Drained the oil and only 200ml black oil came out :eek1
Changed the filter and O-ring and refilled oil according to workshop manual.
It started fine, and I drove it to work (and later back). It's burning oil (sputters out of the exhaust as well as plenty of grey smoke). It's running unevenly again, feels like it's missing a beat. Seems more of a problem when cruising than when accel/decel. It's started ticking... The noise is there unevenly in idle, then when revved it disappears, and comes back again at steady speed.
Compression test with low compression (75 psi), spark plug is sooty/black.

Before I start my first complete engine overhaul (still have no garage...), do you have ANY idea, what the problem might be? I've done minor repairs, nothing this large though, but I'm up for a challenge.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh dear. I think the "stalling" you experienced was more likely to be a partial seizure.
Draining 200ml of oil from an engine and tank designed to hold 2100ml should tell you what you need to know.
You might be lucky and you might not. Riding flat out with no oil could have wrecked everything, crank, bore, camshaft piston etc.
Just tear into it and see what you find.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Kitchen table, always used to work for me!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Too late to say this, but checking the oil before riding at 130 kph would have been a good plan.......:(

As Bob says, you may be lucky but I would be expecting at least a rebore and piston.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, shouldn't have trusted the seller. Was wet and cold, fighting the clock trying to get home to family in time...
Retrospectively, I will never purchase another bike without a thorough inspection.

Will set up a table in one room and drag the engine (supposedly 50 kg) up the stairs to my 2nd floor apartment. That should give me something to do over the winter.
Do Wiseco do bore kits? Don't see it on their website...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Slap af man.:D:D:D
Where are you in Denmark ,maybe I can come and advise you on your problem ,I live on Fyn.:thumbup:
I have been known to work for beer and food. :clown::clown::clown:
As long as its not rugbrød.:angel10:
PM me your phone number.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, just to follow up, tore the engine apart. Rocker arms are worn, likely accounted for the ticking.
Cylinder had a rusty patch, but everything looked pretty good. New piston (+0.5) and cylinder bore, new rocker arms, top.
Other than that, should be fine. Am considering the oil filter upgrade and removed the airbox.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks! My shoulder is in a sling at the moment, so will be a couple of months till it's back together.
Complete build? Depends on how wet I get my feet as of now (redo subframe, new front wheel, tank, seat, exhaust)...
Completely torn apart at the moment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts