Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, when my engine cold, it knocks. Not a rattle, but a metalic knock. As soon as engine warm, ie temp gauge moves slightly it goes. Was hoping new oil would quieten it but no, it hasnt. Im dreading the thought of a big-end bearing going. Could just be piston-slap tho. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Its quite urgent, i have a 270mile commute every week. Last thing i need is for the engine to go bang, I love my TA!!

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Hi,

It's obviously quite difficult to asses an engine noise over a forum;) however I find my engine a bit knocky, I presume it's just the characteristic of it. It's sounded like that since new, and is now at 10k miles (2 years old), it could be down to the uneven firing order of the V-twin?? not sure.

Ear plugs seem to fix it :D:D

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Mine has done that since new, so (hopefully) it is absolutly nothing to worry about :).

·
21st Century Schizoid Man
2,428 Posts
Hi, when my engine cold, it knocks. Not a rattle, but a metalic knock. As soon as engine warm, ie temp gauge moves slightly it goes. Was hoping new oil would quieten it but no, it hasnt. Im dreading the thought of a big-end bearing going. Could just be piston-slap tho. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Its quite urgent, i have a 270mile commute every week. Last thing i need is for the engine to go bang, I love my TA!!
Now I'm no spanner god, unlike many on here... but... Worth checking your chain tension railwayman. Even just a snitch too tight gives a knocking sound at tickover on my AT.
If not that, and just to settle your fears, a screwdriver used like a stethoscope is great for identifying where in the engine the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agrre with the camchains, but do not rule oit the oil pump chain. Mine has become quite rattly at cold but, since you need to take off the clutch to put it right, it's staying right there until I'll refresh the clutch plates and spring.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Agree with various possibilities mentioned but IMO unless the motor is high mileage (60,000+) or has been neglected the noise is most likely slack cold clearances that close up as the oil and engine warm. My 650 Alp sounds rough around the rear cylinder when cold but is smooth as once warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts