Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I was coming home through Heidelberg putting along with traffic along the river when the engine stopped just like I had hit the kill switch. I thought I had hit the reserve so I reached down and flipped it and started it right back up. All was well. Today it did it twice while putting along at the same speed (20-30kmh 2nd gear) but did not quit, just missed slightly. It also did it once a week or so ago too, but did not quit. I normally wouldn't worry much about this, but I'm hoping to do a long trip and this has me a little spooked. I am wondering if there's something related to this that I should PM before hitting the road. Rectifier, coil, something with the carbs? :confused:

I have no problems at all other than these four misses. Mileage, high/low revs, chokes, air filter, and can are all fine. I have been riding it a bit hard up in the hills on paved roads, but that's all.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'd check the fuel pump first. Might be on the way out. If it is, check out the many threads on the forum. Can now get replacement points, or run it via a relay, or fit a facet and forget your worries.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
2nd'd -sounds like a suspect fuel pump...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time to break out the Facet. Thanks!

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
I had the same thing. Was driving me nuts! It proved to be the kill switch on the sidestand the was buggered. Had it removed, and that sorted the problem totally! Could be worth looking into ... Easy at least :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
kill switch on the sidestand
+1

That would be my initial guess too from the symptoms - followed by fuel pump, ignition switch wiring (they can break at the switch) and dirty kill switch.

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Ah, yes, you're right about the ignition wiring, Alan! I tried that also ... same symptoms, but it quite easy to spot, as it only happened when I turned left :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts