Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Check the Air filter is clean and the Choke is fully open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was swapping the air filter out today anyway ironically. Other sources say catalytic converter... More possibilities!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Reg/rec has gone. Bulbs start blowing when that happens too. See a pattern emerging? Wemoto - about £70 from memory.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Was swapping the air filter out today anyway ironically. Other sources say catalytic converter... More possibilities!
i could be wrong... but i dont think the AT has a cat

·
Registered
485 Posts
No cat on an AT.Like Whealie says it could be the RR going,check the battery,they can stink if they are overcharging and gassing.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
eggy smell normally sulphur dioxide, which points to battery boiling and giving off gas.
Alternately have you pissed anyone off lately? check all over the bike for stink bomb type secretions including old egg sarnies and the suchlike.

Or, alternatively, has anyone commented on the aroma arising from your pair of well worn motorcycle boots that are now subject to warmer weather and the release of winters cold stored foot perfumery?
Mine have been banished to the shed by the bird who shares the kids with me.:hitler:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The guy recently had to change some bulbs that had gone. That is the first sign of the reg/rec going. The stink is the reg/rec failure frying the battery.

Wemoto do a reg/rec and their basic battery is a pretty reliable beast too.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I agree with the battery boiling comment.

I rode all the way across Ireland and every time I slowed down I accused my riding compannion of dropping his guts. He kept denying it crossly.
Turned out my regulator was allowing too much charge into the battery and it was boiling dry.

I had to top my battery up every 30 miles or so to get back across Ireland and into the relatively civilised Wales where I was able to get a second hand regulator for my FJ12. Riding with my lights on saved my electronic components from harm I believe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any way to test the regulator before forking out £80. Does anyone know aside from blown bulbs what damage this might cause if left while I try to confirm it's the rec?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Is there any way to test the regulator before forking out £80. Does anyone know aside from blown bulbs what damage this might cause if left while I try to confirm it's the rec?
Yes but I can't remember it exactly, You use a multimeter and measure the charge when the engine is running, or something like that. If when the engine runs the output goes up then your reg/rec has gone.

But someone else more klnowledgeable willbe along in a minute.

Managed to ride all the way from Devon after mine had packed up completely and I no longer had anything charging the battery. I just only ever filled up for fuel in garages on the tops of hills, so I cold bump start the bike.

Needed a new reg/rec and battery though.:confused:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Get yourself a multi meter. run the bike and put the meter across the battery neg to neg positive to positive. set the meter to either 25 or 250volt and measure the charge in the battery. it should read about 14.5 -15.7v any more like up in the 17 18's or higher and the battery is recieving too much charge (which will boil the acid/water in it and cause gas to escape through the breathers). Also if the charge is below 12-13 the battery is not recieving enough and this can be a problem as the reg/rec is not allowing charge through(may be sending to earth)and may be coming on and going off causing too much loss and then too much demand and so will kill the battery either way and essentially the faulty unit will destroy itself and the battery.
With the bike off test the battery,it should read just a smidge over 12v this means it is holding the charge if it is lower than 12 even by 11.5V the battery is not holding the charge and therefore caputt.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
In London Today a motor cyclist took to the air as his motor cycle exploded ,sad to say he was riding under a railway bridge at the time.
His motor cycle was remved from the road after the FLAMES burnt them selves out .
British rail are still in the process of removing the rider as his head is stuck in the southbound side of track at (insert where you live)

:toothy1::laughing3:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
eh?

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Does anyone know aside from blown bulbs what damage this might cause if left while I try to confirm it's the rec?
A resistor will burrn out in the tacho causing it to under-read or not work at all. The CDI will burn out - and these are not cheap. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It'sthe Reg Rec on it's way out whilst cooking the battery, this has happened to me 3 times now.:( think i have it sorted now.

Replacement reg rec from electrex.... they have now uprated them making them more stable..... apparently... and new battery from my local garage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get yourself a multi meter. run the bike and put the meter across the battery neg to neg positive to positive. set the meter to either 25 or 250volt and measure the charge in the battery. it should read about 14.5 -15.7v any more like up in the 17 18's or higher and the battery is recieving too much charge (which will boil the acid/water in it and cause gas to escape through the breathers). Also if the charge is below 12-13 the battery is not recieving enough and this can be a problem as the reg/rec is not allowing charge through(may be sending to earth)and may be coming on and going off causing too much loss and then too much demand and so will kill the battery either way and essentially the faulty unit will destroy itself and the battery.
With the bike off test the battery,it should read just a smidge over 12v this means it is holding the charge if it is lower than 12 even by 11.5V the battery is not holding the charge and therefore caputt.
As per the official Honda Shop Manual, check the voltage with low beam lights on and engine at 5.000 rpm. Having the low beams on is super-important, as you'll wrongly read too high a voltage if the lights are off.
If iwith the low beams off, you read fairly above 15 V then you're reg/rec has had it. While you're at it, when replacing with a new reg/rec, ditch the original silly 3P connector by cutting the yellow wires off on both sides of the connector and soldering them instead. Isolate them using thermo sleeve, then give the 3 wires few turns of electrical tape in order to give them some protection against rubbing and finally fix them using a zip tie to the holder where the original connector was. Chances are that the original 3P connector is burnt anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts