Yes but I can't remember it exactly, You use a multimeter and measure the charge when the engine is running, or something like that. If when the engine runs the output goes up then your reg/rec has gone.Is there any way to test the regulator before forking out £80. Does anyone know aside from blown bulbs what damage this might cause if left while I try to confirm it's the rec?
A resistor will burrn out in the tacho causing it to under-read or not work at all. The CDI will burn out - and these are not cheap. Not worth the risk.Does anyone know aside from blown bulbs what damage this might cause if left while I try to confirm it's the rec?
As per the official Honda Shop Manual, check the voltage with low beam lights on and engine at 5.000 rpm. Having the low beams on is super-important, as you'll wrongly read too high a voltage if the lights are off.Get yourself a multi meter. run the bike and put the meter across the battery neg to neg positive to positive. set the meter to either 25 or 250volt and measure the charge in the battery. it should read about 14.5 -15.7v any more like up in the 17 18's or higher and the battery is recieving too much charge (which will boil the acid/water in it and cause gas to escape through the breathers). Also if the charge is below 12-13 the battery is not recieving enough and this can be a problem as the reg/rec is not allowing charge through(may be sending to earth)and may be coming on and going off causing too much loss and then too much demand and so will kill the battery either way and essentially the faulty unit will destroy itself and the battery.
With the bike off test the battery,it should read just a smidge over 12v this means it is holding the charge if it is lower than 12 even by 11.5V the battery is not holding the charge and therefore caputt.