Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep having difficulties with my RD04. After running it for almost an hour or more, all of a sudden it stops as if no gas is reaching the carbs. Once i could fix it by opening the gas tank lid!!!??? Today that one didn't work. I noticed that the engine heats up when i am in slow traffic or moving slow it gets close to the red mark on thermometer (that was the case today too) . Any ideas? Known issues? Could it be the fuelpump? Why is there a fuelpump and when and how does it operate?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like fuel starvation. The original fuel pump has been an issue due to the contacts inside which are prone to burn out. They can be replaced. Do a search here for the fix and you will get many hits. An alternative to the original Mitsubishi pump and the contacts is to replace it with an aftermarket solid state pump called a Facet Pump.
Again do a search here for more info on the Facet.You can purchase the contacts and the Facet pump on line from Rugged Roads UK. Our bikes have fuel pumps because the bottom lobes in the fuel tanks are lower than the carbs hence the pump. You can eliminate the pump for troubleshooting by bypassing the pump with the fuel lines direct to the carbs and then fill the fuel tank to the very top and go for a ride.
It's not unusual to see the temps rise in slow moving traffic with high ambient temps. Your cooling fan should kick in close to or at the red line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts