Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a Transalp 600 from 1997 so I'm still learning new things about it.
I noticed while riding that the engine temp guage never seems to reach middle where I'd expect it to normally be. Instead it settles for the left side of the gauge. The below picture was taken when the bike had been parked with engine OFF for about 5 minutes. Before hand was a 20 km trip, last 4 was in the city with traffic and multiple stops:

This next picture is where its at when the bike is off/cold:

I'm asking because I have yet to witness the fan on the radiator spinning. Does these bikes just by nature run very cool, or should I check on the condition of my fan, or maybe temperature sensor? If yes, where would the sensor be? I have only had air-cooled bikes previously, so this whole water-cooling thing is new to me.

I've noticed that after some motorway riding at about 120 kph and then stopping, the bike does feel kinda hot, especially on the right side (which is where the exhaust downpipes are located). Is this normal or will I feel some heat coming off the bike?

Thanks,
Frederik.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
As said, that looks normal.
The fan hardly ever comes on (in the uk anyway) and as I recall when it does, the gauge is up near the red.

To test the fan circuit, (worthwhile doing occasionally anyway) remove the connector from the bottom of the rh rad and touch it to a good earth on the radiator itself, the fan should come on (with the ignition on). If not you have a problem.
Ensure each part of the connector is corrosion free & reconnect. The screw in thermoswitch itself very rarely fails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Appreciate your replies.

I am located in Denmark, so I can imagine our climates are very much similar. :)
Sounds like I'm good to keep riding so far, though I'll give it a test some time during the winter when it'll be parked up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Palm....3rd to agree it's all perfectly normal..I went through exactly what you are thinking..I checked out thermostat was closing fully and the opening temp ! and how long it took to be fully open..bought new thermostat and old one was the same as new..Fan kicks in very rarely and only when it gets a bit over 3/4 and right up against the red..and it only does that if stuck in traffic in hot summer, and i have half the left rad covered up...There's quite a few posts on here...all say the same...designed for playing in really hot climates....BUT..do as Phil says and make sure the fan does actually come on, by earthing the wire out. or let it tickover after a run to get it to nearly reach the red...The fan cools it down real quick and won't stay on long....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will definitely do. Thanks guys.

I was kinda worried that it doesn't really ever get good running temperature, but I suppose I just shouldn't worry more about it? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey again, sorry for the bump but I didn't get the chance to look at this before now. Bike has been good for the last 5000 kms in the colder months, but now that it's starting to become hot again I want to fix this.

I took it apart and tried disconnecting the spade connector on the bottom of the radiator. I tried shorting it to the frame of the radiator with ignition on in the hope that it would start moving, but nothing happens at all.

Also I noticed another rubber thing that looks like another female spade connector up where the fan wires come out from the fan motor, but I cannot seem to identify its purpose. Please see below picture:

Does anybody have any suggestions to what to do/check?

EDIT:
I figured to short the connector to the base of the temperature sensor and I got a few small sparks and the fan started spinning, so luckily for me, the fan is working. Now I'm thinking I just haven't experienced a hot enough day yet. I'll try to start the bike and leave it on for 10 minutes to get the engine temperature up to verify that the sensor is working correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.