Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to ATs (well in fact to riding generally). Recently bought a 1990 RD04 - it seems to be in very nice condition. One question I had was about how smooth the engine should be. At about 3 - 5,000 rpm in 2nd / 3rd when you open up the throttle I get a fair amount of engine vibration transferred through the footpegs. No nasty noise etc. Is this normal for an AT / a characteristic of the 750 V twin or should I be worried and thinking there might be something wrong with engine bearings etc?

Cheers

·
2,701 Posts
First thing to check is chain tension, . . . . if too tight will cause vibration.

Lot's of threads on correct chain tension, . . just do search on chain tension / adjustment

ps.
the recomended slack according to honda is wrong. 60 to 70mm is usual.

and yes, there is normally some vibration, especially compared to 4 cylinder machines.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm new to ATs (well in fact to riding generally). Recently bought a 1990 RD04 - it seems to be in very nice condition. One question I had was about how smooth the engine should be. At about 3 - 5,000 rpm in 2nd / 3rd when you open up the throttle I get a fair amount of engine vibration transferred through the footpegs. No nasty noise etc. Is this normal for an AT / a characteristic of the 750 V twin or should I be worried and thinking there might be something wrong with engine bearings etc?

Cheers

They all do that. :D

Off the bat you mentioned no nasty noise etc...and that is a good sign...providing the engine appears smooth with no hicups and carbs seem to be synced..then I would'nt worry too much.

Do you have rubber inserts in your pegs like in the pic. They work.;)

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
As Airwolf says, check the chain tension, as an overtight chain will wreck your gearbox shaft in less than a thousand miles!

I think it could be down to one of the following;

1) Engine needs a tune, in particular the carbs need balancing.

2) You've got one duff spark plug, or spark plug cap. The AT has 2 cylinders, but 4 spark plugs!

3) Loose bash plate

4) Loose engine bars (if fitted)

Try that lot and let us know how you get on. They're great bikes, and really don't have too many gremlins to worry about.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The same vibration happens in neutral or with the clutch in when hel around 5k rpm. Would this suggest tuning?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
It could still be something like the bash plate or engine bars vibrating, but I would start with a good service, spark plugs (x4), air filter, fuel filter, oil and oil filter, and the one that will make the most difference is balancing the carbs.

If you even slightly mechanically minded, you could do all of these at home and save yourself quite a bit of money.

Another thing that may need checking is the valve clearances, but try all the other stuff first.

My money is on carb balance (a 30 min job if you have all the right stuff)

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts