Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a terminal problem with the engine on my Alp (crank bearings gone...), have decided to go down the route of a second hand block and just do a swap.... However... my original block (according to Haynes manual) is a type 1 full power '87 V-H model, but the block I have got as replacement is a type 2 restricted power '96 V-T model...

So my question is.... whats the difference between the type 1 & type 2 blocks, how is it restriced, and by how much...:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know the answer but restriction is unlikely in the block on motorcycles, it's often valve size, port differences or carb set up. If you have the block to hand do a visual analysis, if the bore and stroke are the same and all mounts and oilways line up then maybe there is no difference. Check the ignition gubbins is the same too maybe?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the answer but restriction is unlikely in the block on motorcycles, it's often valve size, port differences or carb set up. If you have the block to hand do a visual analysis, if the bore and stroke are the same and all mounts and oilways line up then maybe there is no difference. Check the ignition gubbins is the same too maybe?
spoke to a friend of mine today who's a car mechanic, and he said simular... that normally the block it's self is not the restriction... but normally either in the exhuast manifolds, the carbs or the cdi units, but the blocks are usually pretty standard...

I was initially thinking anyway that I'm going to use my original carbs anyway (even though the block I have got has carbs attached), and I'll be using my exhausts and cdis units as they are not supplied... so hopefully the restriction element shouldn't apply....

unless anyone can suggest any other way they apply the restriction...:confused::confused:

Titch:blob:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Measure the inlet manifold, Restrictors use washers to reduce this bore so it may be prebuilt into the casing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right then... I can stop panicing now....the engine arrived yesterday and first thing I did was unwrap it to see what the differences were... and at first look, couldn't see anything different, so checked the engine no on the block.... at first glance it did look like it started with PD06 61**** but then I wiped it over with my finger cos it was a bit dirty, and low and behold it actually started PD06 51**** cos the dirt made it look like a 6 not a 5......
So basically the block I've got is exactly the same as my original one, a Type 1 full power '88 600 V-H model.

So next step is to get the block into my frame and get riding again....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
So basically the block I've got is exactly the same as my original one, a Type 1 full power '88 600 V-H model.

So next step is to get the block into my frame and get riding again....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Good result. Let's hope the engine's a good 'un :thumbup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Engines, "It's alive..."

Finally got round to connecting up all the ancillary bits today like the carbs, air box etc... filled up the fluids (oil & water), put the tank on and then crossed my fingers whilst pressing the start button.... and after a few turns of the starter it fired up into life.... :blob7::blob7:.....

Can't belive how noisey my engine was, even before the rattle had developed, as this one I've put in is that quiet on tickover compared to my old one... which due to the noises it made my brother had nicknamed it the 'Tractor'.... This replacment one just seems to purr and sounds great when you rev it up... just can't wait now till my mate has made my new engine mounts so I can take it out for a proper test ride...:color::color:

Titch.:toothy9::toothy9::toothy9:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Re: Engines, "It's alive..."

Finally got round to connecting up all the ancillary bits today like the carbs, air box etc... filled up the fluids (oil & water), put the tank on and then crossed my fingers whilst pressing the start button.... and after a few turns of the starter it fired up into life.... :blob7::blob7:.....

Can't belive how noisey my engine was, even before the rattle had developed, as this one I've put in is that quiet on tickover compared to my old one... which due to the noises it made my brother had nicknamed it the 'Tractor'.... This replacment one just seems to purr and sounds great when you rev it up... just can't wait now till my mate has made my new engine mounts so I can take it out for a proper test ride...:color::color:

Titch.:toothy9::toothy9::toothy9:
Glad it has worked out.:thumbup:
Maybe the old one had more wrong than you thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts