Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip in a year's time going to Norway.

At the moment I am trying to sort out the route. It currently looks like I will be taking the ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg, ride across Denmark and then catch the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo.

However, the timing is very tight. The ferry from Harwich docks around 1pm at Esbjerg and the second ferry leaves Copenhagen at 5pm with check in closing at 4:30pm.

The ferry company recons the 173mile drive can be done in three hours and that it is possible to do this baring any serious hold up. They also said that they know of commercial drivers that are able to do this. With the heavy speeding fines, I do not what to break any speed limits.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this route? :confused:

·
Registered
924 Posts
ive no experience of the route, but based on the numbers thats closer than i would want to be cutting it. average 60mph (ish) with 30mins of leeway sounds like a garauntee for a delay.
theres an england > norway direct ferry that might skip all that, or is the ride through denmark a required part of the journey?

Edit - after doing a quick internet check it seems the max speed limit in norway, that of the motorway, is 90kph, so it looks like you cant legally get there in 3.5hrs (barring getting my calculator out) :rolleyes:

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There used to be a direct ferry from Newcastle to Bergen but that route was stopped a few years ago, the only way now is via Denmark, which is the only reason for my visit to that country. There are several options as to the ferrys from Denmark to Norway but this seemed the best route timewise, else it means an overnight stay somewhere in Denmark. The other option was to ride across to Sweden and ride up to Norway. Extra miles and time I do not want to have to do.

I understand the speed limits on the motorways in Denmark to be 110km/h and in parts 130km/h. The RAC's route planner recons it can be done in 3hours 16 minutes and their estimates tend to be generous.

·
Registered
924 Posts
from Rules and regulations for driving in Norway - Norway official travel guide - visitnorway.com

" - Residential areas: Sometimes as low as 30 kilometres per hour. Watch out for speed control bumps, they are not always signposted.
- Built-up areas/town centres: All vehicles 50 kilometres per hour.
- Dual carriageways and motorways: Either 90 kilometres per hour or 100 kilometres per hour for cars. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And yeh, my mates info looks to be outdated now, can believe somewhere so close has no direct ferries, how rubbish is that. :confused:

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very frustrating the ferry route was stopped, has made the journey a lot more complicated!

No argument about the speed limits in Norway, but the route I am on about is to get from one side of Denmark, Esbjerg, to the other, Copenhagen, to catch the ferry up to Norway. Denmark has different speed limits.

·
Registered
924 Posts
your quite right, my bad

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi ! here's my thruppence worth, and this is assuming you have a tent .... take your ferry to Esbjerg. Head for Copenhagen, and take your time. There's a bridge that connects Copenhagen (Denmark) to Malmo (Sweden) and costs about £18 for a bike. I think it's worth that for the experience - see here Oresund Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Anyway, from Copenhagen to Oslo, you're looking at about 7 to 9 hours, depending if your butt is on fire or not. :D To give you an idea, I drove from Isfjorden, Romsdal, Norway to Gothenburg in 11 hours (1993 in a ford taunus) ... I was tired, but I drove through the night. From Gothenburg to the Norwegian border is ca. 2 hours, then another 2 to Oslo... I never exceed the speed limit by more than 10km/h, otherwise you'll be without your licence if you're not careful. Fines are expensive, but then so is everything these days. Speed camera's are well advertised before the flash goes off - but the mobile units are impossible to detect. I've known of a speed camera operator operating out the rear window of a civil parked-up caravan in a lay-by. Anyway, you're here to enjoy the scenery aren't you ? ... so stick to the limit. PM me if you want detailed help :thumbright: Oh yeah, the tent bit....camp sites are recommended. Swedish and Norwegian standards are high ... I reckon both would charge about a fiver for a night. Campsites are plentiful. Look up www.camping.se you'll be wanting sites along the E6 ... that's Malmo, Helsingborg, Halmstad, Gothenburg ... take a kip early and waked refreshed. Another thing, for about a fiver, you have to buy a one-time, one-off camping card which you show at all swedish sites. They then send you a nice catalogue every year ... those nice Swedes !

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I've reckon taken every possible route to Norway there is over the years.

The bridge from CPH to Sweden runs you a little too far south for Oslo.It is a once only experience but you will have just done the massive bridge in the middle of Denmark on the way to it,so how many massive bridges do you need in one day ? :D

Option : Helsingor to Helsingborg Ferry gives you 30 mins to get a coffee and a stretch before the LONG :rolleyes: slow run ,north to Oslo.

Option : The CPH boat to Oslo gives you an overnight to recover.Can be a bit rowdy as most are on board for the drinking :(. So a cabin is a deffo'. Buffet restaurant is 110% worth doing.:thumbup:

My best route : Esbjerg north to Hirtshals (E20/E45 motorway) Then the ship from Hirtshals to Kristiansand in Norway. it's only a couple of hours. From landing you can go directly North into the mountains or follow the east coast round to Oslo. Either way is paradise :thumbup:

I have lived and worked all over Norway and Denmark if I can help with anything PM me.:)
Sweden (for me,and I've done a lot of it) is great too but not for biking unless your north of the Arctic circle & even then you'de be better of on the Norwegian side.:)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Sweden (for me,and I've done a lot of it) is great too but not for biking unless your north of the Arctic circle & even then you'de be better of on the Norwegian side.
Sadly I have to agree with you, when compared to Norway, Sweden is somewhat less exciting, especially when it comes to scenery and twisty roads.
However the route from Malmoe to Oslo is fast and easy (some would say boring...), and it should not present you with any problems if you need to travel that route.

·
Barking. Totally.
131 Posts
If you take the ferry to Gothenburg, the Norway border isn't too far from there. I seem to remember there's a roro (just turn up) ferry that goes from Voss to Horten across the Oslo fjord, so gets you into Norway much faster. If it's still running, that'd be my route.

The Newcastle-Gothenberg ferry used to stop at Kristiansand in Norway. I assume that it doesn't anymore....

BB

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all your suggestions.

I have six routes to deliberate over. At present I think the run from Ejsberg to catch the night ferry from Copenahgen to Oslo is too tight. My favoured option at the moment is the Hirtshal to Larvik ferry. The reasons for this choice are:

The whole point of the trip is to spend time in the Norweign fjords and mountains and my basic route is a anti-clockwise tour starting from the South East of Norway. This will get me near my anticipated started point.

This route will give me roughly eight hours to ride from Esjberg to Hirsthal (214 Miles) in Denmark so there is no time pressure. I will also give me time to get comfortable with riding on the left (this will be my first time riding outside of the UK).

Taking this more direct route will give me more time in Norway and relatively less miles on the bike to get there, which will also mean it is one of the cheaper options.

However, the down side is that the ferry arrives at Larvik at 2 in the morning!

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Monsieur, your avatar is very distracting!

Er, yes, right, thats is what I meant. You can tell it will be my first trip abroad!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts