Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bit of a bodgefest last week and turned a bit of cheap extruded 3mm?? ally into an enlarged foot:thumbright:

Cut it into 3 layers(with hindsight 4 would have been better)

First(base) plate

Middle layer basically acts as a spacer, but needs to have an oval hole and slot cut into it.

Top layer; Has an oval hole and two slots; 1 for the support 'web' of the stand, and the other, open-ended slot so that it can slide onto the sidestand foot.

In true bodge styleee I didn't measure anything and just worked out by eye where the bolt holes needed to go and the shape was done with a grinder and a file.

Only thing I'd do differently would be to use a thicker baseplate so that the bolts could be countersunk in.

It also catches slightly on the main stand in the up position, but a bit of inward pressure as you kick it down releases it. The problem is you can't check this until you're sat on the bike unless you've got a paddock stand or suchlike.
I suspect the ally will wear away anyway shortly and then it'll be no problem;) 10536363_10203634358032490_7719643137459383930_o.jpg 10495313_10203634356752458_5042812065887832681_o.jpg 1890351_10203634357272471_8635723195997124908_o.jpg Sidestand foot1.jpg Sidestand foot2.jpg

·
Undergoing Midlife Crisis
140 Posts
Lovely Job:thumbright: I am always jealous of you folk with the ability to knock up things like this.
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Nice job , I got the bits ready to to this months ago but just haven't got round to it yet.
The bottom plate I will make from steel cos I can't see the ally foot lasting to long and I have acquired some countersunk press studs which for ease of fitting I will weld in.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that's part of the problem with the MK1 version; it rests on the bolts rather than the plate when it's on a hard surface...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did very similar but used aluminium checker plate for the lower part with countersunk bolts, it does wear but you already have a pattern for the replacement and use stainless fasteners to ease the task. A sense of worth and pride cos you did it, well done. ps bit to flash painting it :p

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Gents,

Good work :thumbup:

I took a slightly different route because I felt the bike leans over too far on he standard foot. My top plate is similar but thinner Ali with a circular hole and a slot. I bent it back to get it round the side stand and then back again to fix it to the base which was a bit of hardwood recessed using a router to accommodate the old foot. Four large stainless self taps and a bit of black spray and she works a treat ;)

I do like a bit of imagination.

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
I welded on a piece of 3mm steel plate, including a rib to maintain strength even when lifting/turning the bike on the stand. I also added a small wire footfinder at the same time.

It's bigger area than anything I could find commercially. Fine on all surfaces including soggy mud loaded up.

But it can act to throw dirt/dust onto the chain when kicking it up!

Here's some pics:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts