Honda XRV Forum banner

Euro Garmin Speed Camera database

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  steveR 
#1 ·
Sorry, that should of course read "safety camera"!

I am wondering whether it is worth getting the latest camera database for Europe before pushing off on Monday? I found it useful in France earlier in the year as it acted as an alert when on strange roads/layouts, especially the sneaky cameras on boundaries between speed restriction zones!

Just wondered what folks think of the wider European database as it is only 15 quid more than the UK one alone! Is it accurate and a fine saver?

#2 ·
I've got the SCDB loaded for all countries I could pass through, I'm not sure about France but Germany fixed cameras shoot from the front...
Holland from the rear

in all honesty they probably would not bother to track you down and forward the fine

The ones to watch out for are the police manned radar guns if they are tracking a car and a bike comes into view they will switch their attention to the bike and fine you on the spot which can be expensive as they cannot pass on endorsements

For the sake of a few quid more I would download them just as a reminder :angel9:

#5 ·
I understand that the Police are now or are going to assist in the "tracking down" of offenders in other Euro countries!

Good point on the Police radar, but it is always these that are the ones to watcn, but at least the camera database will give a warning on their likely locations.

I'll spend the money :)

#10 ·
Excellent link, thanks Steve.

Happily, it looks as if it was only Germany that I "broke the law" on the use of GPS camera location! ;) All of the other "local" Eurozone countries are fine with GPS, but radar detectors are a no-no, in some countries it would appear they throw away the key....

#11 ·
I too had heard that European forces were collaborating on chasing up speeding fines, so you wouldn't get away with it. The AA site should say where you can and can't use GPS-based camera warnings. Something to bear in mind is that speed cameras aren't always brightly-coloured over there, so it's easy not to spot them. Of course, if you were observing the speed limits... :D

#12 ·
True,

Some territories will make sure you get the ticket... The Dutch are very keen on their speeding revenues!

I don't know about Germany, but in Switzerland they will confiscate your GPS unit if you have camera positions on it, even if you don't have them enabled (you could have disabled them quickly when they stopped you).

My advice if you go to those territories, have 2 different SD cards (one with, one without cameras), or don't bother putting the cameras on.

The Swiss are the MOST anal police force in Europe and historically, the Swiss have no problem hanging on to other people's property even when they have no right to it... :hitler:

In France, having the cameras is very, very useful as the French cameras are low profile and you're likely to miss it shooting past (it won't however, miss you).

JB

#13 ·
True,

I don't know about Germany, but in Switzerland they will confiscate your GPS unit if you have camera positions on it, even if you don't have them enabled (you could have disabled them quickly when they stopped you).

My advice if you go to those territories, have 2 different SD cards (one with, one without cameras), or don't bother putting the cameras on.

JB
Not going to argue with personal experience, but the AA site appears to say that GPS locators are legit in Switzerland. Best thing sems to be to avoid the place altogether what with overpriced carnet's as well!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.