Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I portion of eggs please and a dozen chips.

I am not happy as they are under weight.
How do you order your breakfast?
None of this makes any sense.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Biggest problem is the UK will enforce petty stupid laws like this and waste thousands of taxpayers money doing so, they will employ jobsworths to go around enforcing these laws, most other european countries will laugh it off and carry on as normal ,

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
and more heritage down the drain

does it matter who uses what and sells it the way they want
I can understand if the packaging maufacturer had to resize their boxes to fit 10 eggs but doing away with the dozen is just another "you will obey" ruling

How much longer till the mile is out-ruled, its not European
The next bit would then be "Drive On The Right"
Didn't one of the scandinavian countries do that in the 60's but knowing the UK government they would have to have a trial run first with only the trucks

L

·
0 Posts
It was Sweden

Sweden
Main article: Dagen H
Sweden had legal left-hand traffic (vänstertrafik in Swedish) from approximately 1734, when it changed back from a short period of right-hand traffic starting in 1718. With or without legal rule, traditionally the left side was used for carriages. Finland, under Swedish rule until 1809, also drove on the left, and continued to do so as a Russian Grand Duchy until 1858.[86]

This continued well into the 20th century, despite the fact that virtually all the cars on the road in Sweden were LHD. (One argument for this was that it was necessary to keep an eye on the edge of the road, something that was important on the narrow roads in use at the time). Also, Sweden's neighbours Norway and Finland already drove on the right, leading to confusion at border crossings.

In 1955 a referendum was held on the issue, resulting in an 82.9%-to-15.5% vote against a change to driving on the right. Nevertheless, in 1963 the Swedish parliament passed legislation ordering the switch to right-hand traffic. The changeover took place at 5am on Sunday, 3 September 1967, which was known in Swedish as Dagen H (H-Day), the 'H' being for Högertrafik or right traffic.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
stupid stupid people!

people will always buy items consumed by number, by numbers. I have 12 guests, I need 12 eggs...

anyway, "Dozen" comes from the french "douzaine" douze = 12. so buying eggs by the "douzaine" is simply being euro in advance...

:toothy4:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I only want one egg, what weight do I ask for?
We have already had to change our currency from £.S.D to £.p to bring us into line with other countries, so as not to confuse the tourists.
We had to change the measure of Fuel from Gallons to Litres.
Milk is now sold in litres instead of pints.
Food is sold in Kilos and Grams instead of Pounds and Ounces.
Our way of life is being taken over by eurocrats, soon we will have to change our currency to Euros.
Yes, I know the government have said NO, on numerous occasions, but there will soon be a ruling stating that we must comply.
We will just cave in and mess up the conversion, so the public are febard.

L

·
0 Posts
I only want one egg, what weight do I ask for?
Is that question for real, when you buy an apple do you ask for 50grams or do you just buy an apple that is just weighed??? You ask for one egg obviously, which will then be weighed and then you'll be charged accordingly.. No reason as to why this won't work.. You'll even still be able to buy a dozen eggs but now you'd pay for what you're getting instead of an over inflated price for LARGE eggs even when the eggs are bordering on what could legally be described as large!!

Sorry guys but total non-event and one that will even please a lot of people living on thier own who don't want to buy a minimum of 6 eggs as they might use 1 a week

·
Registered
395 Posts
a lot of people living on thier own who don't want to buy a minimum of 6 eggs as they might use 1 a week
i don't think they will start selling them individually;)

Egg boxes will stay egg box shaped, just the price will vary depending on the weight of the eggs and not the number of eggs

Made i chuckle that did

L

·
0 Posts
i don't think they will start selling them individually;)

Egg boxes will stay egg box shaped, just the price will vary depending on the weight of the eggs and not the number of eggs

Made i chuckle that did
I don't see why not? a lot of shops will take this on to please their customers..

L

·
0 Posts
Dunno what all the fuss is about, i buy in trays of 15... 12 wouldn't last me the week :D
I tend to buy the 18 pack of Barn eggs from Sainsbury's for £1.89, mainly due to the fact that most of the eggs eaten in this house 80%+ is eaten by the dogs :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Our Sainsburys eggs are in a tray of 10 mixed weight. Sometimes it's a tray of 15. But never a dozen nowadays. I never gave it much thought but I agree old habits die hard. I prefer pints, gallons, lbs & ozes etc, but I'll forgo returning to groats or farthings!.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
ive just checked in the bin and fridge, the pack in the fridge is a 15, the empty one ive chucked was a 10, so im a euroeggist and didnt even notice! we buy on price, i cant imagine paying by weight? all the old dears at the supermarket will be opening up each box and weighing out the lightest eggs!

anyway my local farm shop has started doing duck eggs for £2 for 6, so chickens dont do it for me any more.......
they do turkey eggs too, never had one though has anyone on here tried them? funny pointy things

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't see why not? a lot of shops will take this on to please their customers..
there is no reason why they couldn't already, no law to say eggs have to be sold in multiples of 6.

They fact that they don't sort of suggests they won't.

All that will happen is the boxes will be individually priced, much like prepacked fruits such as grapes/cherries or prepackaged minced beef etc

Eggs will be seen as too fragile to allow customers to pick and mix one or two to get the right weights, the alternative is moving the eggs to the deli counter so they can be served by shop staff, so they will in all likelyhood remain boxed into multiples, that fit on supermarket shelves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It all makes perfect sense, I've never had so much room in my fridge since they decided to straighten the bannanas and cucumbers. Cloning chickens to make sure that all their eggs are the same size is the answer. Eurpoe will be recruiting chicken aperature inspectors next:laughing6:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I can see the logic in it but I can also see the UK completely getting it wrong and making a mess of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts