Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bikes packed and ready to rock and roll!! :)

We are on the 9pm ferry tonight from Hull then 6 weeks running round Europe with no plans, no route, just the time and a credit card. Woohoo.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367659978.839766.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367659996.481429.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367660011.661158.jpg

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
V jealous. Have a great time.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Things are not off to a good start. At a stop on the way to Hull I noticed a couple of drips of oil under my bike. It's the chain: O rings popping out of several links, the oil on the floor is the grease from the links mixed with scotoil. The chain isn't going to last the trip. It's only done 8,000 miles. :(

I have asked on XT660.com but someone here knows could you tell me what size chain and how many links I need please. It's a 2010 XTR. Also any suggestions for a bike workshop in Germany probably - monday /Tuesday should see us in the black forest area. Thanks.

·
Administrator
1,764 Posts
Things are not off to a good start. At a stop on the way to Hull I noticed a couple of drips of oil under my bike. It's the chain: O rings popping out of several links, the oil on the floor is the grease from the links mixed with scotoil. The chain isn't going to last the trip. It's only done 8,000 miles. :(

I have asked on XT660.com but someone here knows could you tell me what size chain and how many links I need please. It's a 2010 XTR. Also any suggestions for a bike workshop in Germany probably - monday /Tuesday should see us in the black forest area. Thanks.
I hope you get the chain sorted quickly and enjoy the rest of the trip. At least you should be ideally placed for CAKE in the Black Forest :p

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where about in the Black forest area? I have a ask around on the German forum
Whereabouts? Anywhere where there's a workshop with a chain in stock ready to be fitted. No real itinerary so very flexible. If they speak English all the better.

Once this ferry leaves I will be off line until tomorrow and I find a wifi in holland somewhere.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Have a good one Austin & Anne

Sorry to hear about the chain - hope you get sorted

Just back from the Pyrenees - snowed out and rained for the whole 8 days - some roads completely closed due to snow - they even had 18cms of snow in Madrid

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers nick. I have replied. Good idea on the split link. But .......

Anyone any ideas on how to split the old chain without a grinder, file, or chain tool of any sort ?

Oh, the chain is110 links 520 with standard gearing 15/45. That's xt660.com coming up with goods :)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Be safe, have a fab time.

Top tip, don't speak to strange men.

Sounds like your'e having an adventre before you start, sounds similar to my old FJ 1200 days fully serviced etc before the trip then broke down 28 miles down the M56, we were riding to Hull too.

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
Austin,

If you have a trusty leatherman, file the heads off the end of one of the pins on a link and with a little "taption" the link will come out. Did my C&S a week after getting the bike and the original chain didn't put up much resistance.

Take care and best of British too both of you.

Steve T

:cool:

And like Whealie, not really jealous at all :D

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Not a great start for a trip Austin.
Chains & pins are hard, if you replace the chain just find a workshop with the tools to replace it properly.

However, is the chain actually worn out or nearly worn out, have stiff links/tight spots etc?
If the chain is otherwise good just turn the scottoiler up a bit - chains don't need the o rings ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you get down to the costa blanca in south eastern Spain, you have a warm bed, food, beer, wine and a workshop you are welcome to.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Dont worry,it will work out fine, some of my best experiences have been when my bike has acted up on trips abroad and you meet the most friendly and helpful people.
My Yamaha popped a crankcase oil seal in Denmark in 1992 and I am still here 21 yrs later.
If you get as far as Hannover, head to a town called Messenkamp about 10 miles south of the city on the A2 (E30 motorway exit Lauenau), find a Hotel called Refugium about 2 miles from the motorway and ask for the owner who,s name is Berndt, (burnt), he will point you in the direction of a motorbike shop and let you put your tent up in his beer garden if you ask him.
Just tell him Alyn from Denmark sent you and he will help you out.:thumbup:
He loves bikes and british people and is a really nice guy (loves his schnapps), you might even get free breakfast.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Wow! Another adventure - that's great. Hope you and Anne have a great time.

....and I Hope you get the chain sorted ok ? Sounds like there's lots of good advice and help out there :)

Keep safe - have fun and take lots of pictures :)

:sunny:

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had a better look at the chain today. About half the links are stiff and barely seat on the rear sprocket. I already tried turning up the scotoiler but it hasn't helped, yet anyway. It looks like I adjusted the chain too tight when I fitted tyres a couple of weeks back and on compression of the suspension it's damaged the chain. I hope everything else is ok and I have backed the adjustment of a tad but it's a right bugger getting the axle tightened and keeping the chain adjusters in the rigjt place. I think that's how it's ended up too tight. Live and learn.

I have been directed to a bike dealer here in Maastricht so all being well it will be sorted out tomorrow. I will just pay someone to fit it. It's brill here in Holland, people speak English better than most Brits do!!! Even down to
Technicalities like split links

Thanks for all the advice guys. It will be sorted before long.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You could still pop over to my friend in Hannover for free bed and breakfast if you want to.
He has a great collection of bikes and is very generous with the free beer...:thumbup:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
It's brill here in Holland, people speak English better than most Brits do!!! Even down to
Technicalities like split links
That should be "such as" not "like" ;-)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts