Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, today was the day of my Mod 1 test. Despite some intensive practice just lately (many many thanks to Chris, Dave and Sandy at Charnwood), I woke with a sick feeling in my stomach. I followed advice from Instructor no. 1 and started the day with a banana for slow release of energy. I set off for the Test Centre, having fuelled up Nessie and stocked up on jelly babies - I'd been told (by Instructor no.2) that these are good for energy levels (well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). I've noticed that my riding is very affected by tiredness and I wanted to be in the best possible shape, both mentally and physically.

I'd worried that I might get lost finding the centre, which is the other side of Leicester. However, I had a good ride there and no wrong turnings. In fact, I arrived with 50 mins to spare (lots of time to eat jelly babies!). When the examiner arrived he was very nice and reassuring, and understood that I was very nervous.

Anyway, the upshot was: NO FAULTS AT ALL for
- manual handling
- slalom
- figure of eight
- controlled riding
- left bend and controlled stop

However, when it came to the speed trap and emergency stop (the one I was dreading) I only managed to achieve 44kph (on second attempt) - the minimum that they will pass is 48kph. So, although I did the stop OK, he still had to fail me, and I didn't get to attempt the swerve manoeuvre (which also requires 48-50kph).

Obviously I was disappointed not to pass, but I was pleased that I'd done well on the other parts, which gives me more confidence. Just need to practice getting Nessie (and my nerves) up to speed. It means that I'm now going to have to redo CBT as I won't be able to rebook a Mod 1 retest before the CBT runs out, and I have to cancel my Mod 2.

The other slightly frustrating aspect is that I felt that on the ride there and back I managed everything with (IMHO) no important mistakes. This was despite getting lost on the way back and riding through some tricky inner city roads not knowing where I was going (thankfully no riots!), major and complex intersections, hill starts etc etc. I would now be fairly confident about Mod 2, but can't get on with it till I can pass Mod 1...

One thing I did learn, though: the banana and jelly babies trick really does help with energy levels. Even by the time I got home, I was still full of energy. The other thing I learnt is that the navigation app on my HTC is FANTASTIC: with the phone in my inside jacket pocket, I was able to hear the directions that got me on the right road home! Otherwise, I'd probably still be circling round Leicester...

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lulu , but it does sound as tough it has given you the confidence that you can do it next time, dont be too disappointed , next time eh
merv:thumbright:

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
Bad news Lou, so near and yet so far.

You sound like you should be fine next time. Like we said before getting up to the required speed is difficult on a 125

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
It's a bummer not passing Lulu but look on it as experience, you now know what to expect so you can better tackle it next time :thumbup:

The reason the jelly babies help is that you are getting a very fast release of energy from the sugar so it helps with concentration. Just be careful though as energy levels can drop as fast as they can rise when doing that so don't peak too early otherwise you will feel like crap. Best thing to eat imo is a snickers bar about 20-30 mins before the test then afterwards (when you have passed ;)) have some carbs, rice, pasta etc to offset the come down.

It's all experience :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a bummer not passing Lulu but look on it as experience, you now know what to expect so you can better tackle it next time :thumbup:

The reason the jelly babies help is that you are getting a very fast release of energy from the sugar so it helps with concentration. Just be careful though as energy levels can drop as fast as they can rise when doing that so don't peak too early otherwise you will feel like crap. Best thing to eat imo is a snickers bar about 20-30 mins before the test then afterwards (when you have passed ;)) have some carbs, rice, pasta etc to offset the come down.

It's all experience :)
Thanks for the nice comments, folks. Re the jelly babies: I don't know whether it's true or not, but I was told that rather than a sugar rush they give an 'insulin spike'. Of course this might all be mumbo jumbo, but they did seem to help. As for what to consume after a pass, I suspect it will be *significantly* more alcoholic than rice and pasta...;)

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
TI don't know whether it's true or not, but I was told that rather than a sugar rush they give an 'insulin spike'.
Insulin is produced in the body when you digest food and is important for carrying glucose to the muscles and it also regulates your blood sugar level. Thats why diabetics inject insulin or have to have something sugary if they feel hypo etc...

It may be that jelly babies have simple sugars that are digested quicker as opposed to other sugery foods but i'd be surprised if it made a massive difference in terms of what you want to get out of it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news Lulu but as others have said you know what to expect next time. Try to find a quiet industrial estate on a Sunday morning, step out the distance required and practice getting up to the speed needed for the stop/swerve bit and you will crack it next time. :thumbright:

Andy.

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Lulu......Cancellation...go for it !!!!

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lulu......Cancellation...go for it !!!!
Cabby, my CBT runs out on 11th and I want to get more practice in on the speed thing before I go for it again. I've got until 22nd Sept before my theory test runs out, but am at work most of the time till then so will have to try and get weekend training and tests.

Still, at least I didn't make a COMPLETE plonker of myself, eh? :rolleyes:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
It's just something to get out of the way Lulu.

I did my big bike test in the pouring rain and the bike mounted examiner didn't get there so the examiner available was in a car...he didn't see me nearly lose it filtering 'cos he was too far back. :happy8:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you're right there. a cunning plan is being formulated as we speak :)

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Never mind m'girl, you weren't far away :thumbright:

Just to cheer you up, I recall a true story that happened in Inverness many years ago when the bike test wasn't so elaborate.

Part of the test was the emergency stop when the examiner hid behind a corner and jumped out in front of the candidate ( no wireless sets in those days :D )
He waited until he heard the bike coming round the corner, jumped out --- WRONG BIKE !!!! :grin: Meanwhile the candidate sauntered by on his bike, gazing at the carnage before him :happy7:

Turned out the examiner had his leg broken, the innocent biker suffered cuts and bruises and the candidate ?? --- he failed for not completing the test :grin::grin:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
sorry to hear about your disappointment lulu but dont despair most people need more than one go at it(i passed on my THIRD)

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never mind m'girl, you weren't far away :thumbright:

Just to cheer you up, I recall a true story that happened in Inverness many years ago when the bike test wasn't so elaborate.

Part of the test was the emergency stop when the examiner hid behind a corner and jumped out in front of the candidate ( no wireless sets in those days :D )
He waited until he heard the bike coming round the corner, jumped out --- WRONG BIKE !!!! :grin: Meanwhile the candidate sauntered by on his bike, gazing at the carnage before him :happy7:

Turned out the examiner had his leg broken, the innocent biker suffered cuts and bruises and the candidate ?? --- he failed for not completing the test :grin::grin:
Great story Lowflyer (though maybe not for the victims, but it made me giggle at the picture in my head) :thumbup::D:D:D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to hear about your disappointment lulu but dont despair most people need more than one go at it(i passed on my THIRD)
Ah, that makes me feel better, thanks. :thumbup:

Quick update. Booked in for CBT and further Mod1 training/practice on Saturday. :rolleyes:

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
really sorry to hear this. A story heard and seen far too often. If you get to meet aggy at the national she will make you feel better when she tells you about her efforts in this respect. In the meantime though. Some more bad news / advice from her experience.. Do not attempt another mod1 until you have.. 1. Practiced the actual speed trap at the actual test centre - not car park. 2. Taken your theory test again. Point 2 is because when you pass mod 1. You will only have until september to pass mod2 before you need to do mod 1 again. Sorry for the bad news but it should save you cash and dissapointment :thumbsup:

Reactions: Lulu

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for this advice, it is certainly something I need to consider now that I understand the implications. I was really reluctant to have to put myself through another theory test, as I hated the hazard perception element, but maybe I need to think again...

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Keep on keepin' on Lou....whatever comes next....do it.....strategy's for Strategists !...Say that 10 times! :happy8:

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
No probs, I think the current system is designed purely to stop people passing and to make money.. when you consider that the speed trap swerve is very difficult to practise as most riding schools simply do not have the space - your only chance of therefore of guaranteeing you will be OK on this bit is to actually practise it at the MPTC - access to it is limited to Saturdays only (if you're lucky) and has to be booked by your instructor (more money on top of mod1 training you have already paid for).

The problem then comes when people pass their theory in February for example then fail their mod1 in June, book another for September (waiting minimum time, saving up, waiting for availability)

Finally you pass Mod1 in September, then it starts to get cold again, no one wants to do a Mod2 test in November so you're looking at March again (when everyone else wants to do theirs too). You now wait until July when guess what, if you fail you will be pushed for the time off work, the cash to pay for it and getting a booking before it is the end of summer. Back to February again and your theory expires and therefore your mod1 also and chances are your CBT too and you're back to square one (and all the hassle and money again). The whole system is wrong in my mind!

My advice for anyone doing it now is to do the A1 light bike not the A or A2, pass mod1 and mod2 on a small bike 75cc - 125cc and do the speed trap swerve at a much lower speed with much easier mod2. You then have a full a1 licence that will mean that you never have to do your theory or CBT again and you can do the A or A2 mod1 and mod2 test completely at your leisure.

Just speaking from the experience Aggy has had which has been far worse than this and cost thousands so far - she is now sadly back at square one, though with a CBT. Next plan is A1 :thumbleft:

Thanks for this advice, it is certainly something I need to consider now that I understand the implications. I was really reluctant to have to put myself through another theory test, as I hated the hazard perception element, but maybe I need to think again...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts