Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking to do some events on my XR400 this year. i have been looking at enduronews and some other similar sites but can't seem to find something for beginners. Any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Almost any event will do.
You can learn the art of time keeping enduros just put yourself in the beginners or Sportsman class, most clubs will have one.
Or if you want to do a multi lap event, such as a Hare & Hounds, which is usually a shorter more flowing course with no stoppers, but 2 hours or so duration, and you don't mind being passed by flat out MXers.
You usually have to enter beforehand for most events and you will need a licence, but you can sometimes get a day licence for the event to try it out.
Long distance trials are fun and you get to ride all day on the highways and byeways to a set route with marked feetup sections, and is a good way of finding out legal trails.
Nothing improves your riding more than competition, the sooner the better.

I have used my 03 XR400 for H&H, enduros, trials, Long Distance Trials motocross, commuting and trail riding. It has very few modifications apart from being lowered, and all the heavyweight headlight kit replaced. Aluminium Handguards and Renthals are a good investment and a good silencer such as a FMF power Core which sheds some weight and improves power, without too much of a noise penalty. Set your suspension 'sag' correctly and the damper clickers, I go all the way in (Stiff) for motocross but standard for trail riding with other stuff somewhere in between. You can get a slightly more free flowing air filter together with a less restrictive cage and file out the internal exhaust header where it meets the cylinder head to get rid of the lumpy weld for slightly improved exhaust flow. I use standard Honda spares for brakes and stuff as they work and last... and second hand castoff enduro road legal tyres from my local enduro expert (Daryl Bolter) that only have one events use.
Keep an eye on your tappets, wheel susp & head bearings, change the oil regularly, don't over rev the engine. Use a 'Venhill Featherlite' cable for a super light clutch. It will reward you with over 30,000 miles of hard use before you have to go inside the engine.
Nothing can touch an XR400 for value for money off roading.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Almost any event will do.
You can learn the art of time keeping enduros just put yourself in the beginners or Sportsman class, most clubs will have one.
Or if you want to do a multi lap event, such as a Hare & Hounds, which is usually a shorter more flowing course with no stoppers, but 2 hours or so duration, and you don't mind being passed by flat out MXers.
You usually have to enter beforehand for most events and you will need a licence, but you can sometimes get a day licence for the event to try it out.
Long distance trials are fun and you get to ride all day on the highways and byeways to a set route with marked feetup sections, and is a good way of finding out legal trails.
Nothing improves your riding more than competition, the sooner the better.

I have used my 03 XR400 for H&H, enduros, trials, Long Distance Trials motocross, commuting and trail riding. It has very few modifications apart from being lowered, and all the heavyweight headlight kit replaced. Aluminium Handguards and Renthals are a good investment and a good silencer such as a FMF power Core which sheds some weight and improves power, without too much of a noise penalty. Set your suspension 'sag' correctly and the damper clickers, I go all the way in (Stiff) for motocross but standard for trail riding with other stuff somewhere in between. You can get a slightly more free flowing air filter together with a less restrictive cage and file out the internal exhaust header where it meets the cylinder head to get rid of the lumpy weld for slightly improved exhaust flow. I use standard Honda spares for brakes and stuff as they work and last... and second hand castoff enduro road legal tyres from my local enduro expert (Daryl Bolter) that only have one events use.
Keep an eye on your tappets, wheel susp & head bearings, change the oil regularly, don't over rev the engine. Use a 'Venhill Featherlite' cable for a super light clutch. It will reward you with over 30,000 miles of hard use before you have to go inside the engine.
Nothing can touch an XR400 for value for money off roading.
Agree with most of whats been said there, sportsman class is what i nornally enter or E2 clubman. An ACU license is £25 for your first year then £42 each year after, that covers trials, moto-x, enduro and something else. Far cheaper than £10 per event, wouldn't bother with power up parts to start with just get used to being among other bikes and finishing 3 hours first.

Would like to know whats different about the enduro's further north off me because nobody down here uses XR's for harenhounds or enduro they are completly unsuitable for the racing conditons down here way to heavy and bulky alot of ours are single tracks, again i dont know the areas other people ride in.

I use my XR for road trials and lanning and the Gasgas for moto-x hare'n'hounds and enduro

·
Registered
63 Posts
Track n trail down my way (Dorset/Somerset) have noivice routes on their events. As well as sportsman class they also have a trail class
They are hare and hound type events.
Track n Trail - Enduro race events organiser

Also check out the Dawn to Dusk at the end of August - It looks tough but if you have some off road experience you can do it. The track is very rideable including open gravel road sections.
I did the 12 hour last year. You can do it as teams. ie ride 1 lap (1hour) hand over to a team member for a lap (or more) and so on.
Dawn to Dusk

Whatever you do, pace yourself. It is easy for the adrenaline to take over at the start line!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,

The dusk till dawn event looks good:thumbup: as you can share the riding with a team member using your own bikes, but what happens if 1 bike is a 250cc and the other is a 400cc, do they have different classes??? or just different races ie 6h, 12h & 24h.

Now where is my tent?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Different capacity bikes are fine in one team. In that type of race capacity does not matter so much.

They just split classes into Expert, Clubman, Sportsman etc.

There is camping on site. I stayed in a hotel last year but will camp this time to keep the cost down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts